Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my pitiful attempt to get the flow of conversation going in this scorned corner of the internets. Every however-often-I-feel-like-it I will be posting a question that makes me go hmmmm... C&C Music Factory style. Your job as concerned poster X is to either answer it verbally, answer it pictorially, respond to it in a way that isn't really an answer but is somehow related to the topic at hand, ignore the question and tell us all about whatever adolescent virtual melodrama has you down in the dumps this day, or just make fun of me for posting thought-provoking material in a smelly spider's sphincter like this in the first place.

This question of course assumes that you're not truly soulless enough to think that you are God's gift to omnipresence and that you do make mistakes once in a while.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Who gave this fool his own forum?

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fine, I'll respond to my own question then.

The mature part of me says I would love to have a friend who really knew me... someone who would tell me in no uncertain terms every time I was messing up my life or making a bad decision. I just don't think the rest of me would like it very much. It's important to be called out when appropriate, but that's about where it would have to stop for me.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any relationships in which I am completely open like that. I tend to compartmentalize people, thereby marginalizing many friendships. I rely on myself and my own moral barometer for most of my decision-making. I'm not going to say I've been perfect by any stretch, but I do okay. There have been times when I've longed for someone who I was really close with, but most times I really don't.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
I don't have any relationships in which I am completely open like that. I tend to compartmentalize people, thereby marginalizing many friendships. I rely on myself and my own moral barometer for most of my decision-making. I'm not going to say I've been perfect by any stretch, but I do okay. There have been times when I've longed for someone who I was really close with, but most times I really don't.
I understand - I even have a Dilbert poster that reads "I don't value other people's opinions, so I'll just use my own." And yet I've found that it's critical for me to have a sounding board on whom I can rely in pretty much any instance. My ex-wife unfortunately couldn't do it (and sadly stopped trying to an extent), but I was lucky enough to find someone with both intellect and a good moral barometer.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes you very fortunate (not the ex part, the new woman). I think there's still time for me to find that someday. I just haven't been that lucky, yet.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of my problem probably stems from my seemingly unending stupidity when it comes to sleeping with my best friends. I do not have a good track record of controlling my hormones when it comes to women with whom I've shared many intimate and reflective moments.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
I have a few people who I'm really close to who really know me well and they're not afraid to say anything to me. And I love it. I don't take offense to much in this life, so sometimes when I need a reality check, I'm glad those people are there to give it to me.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a few people who I'm really close to who really know me well and they're not afraid to say anything to me. And I love it. I don't take offense to much in this life, so sometimes when I need a reality check, I'm glad those people are there to give it to me.
Does this have anything to do with why you chose your girlfriend?

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Does this have anything to do with why you chose your girlfriend?
She definitely isn't afraid to let me know how she feels about certain things. She's the single biggest reason I went back to school. She loves to give me doses of reality checks every so often but it's good for me. I need to hear it every now and then.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Been married to my best friend for almost 14 years. That said, I'm kind of brutally frank with myself. Not sure I could handle that level of "brutally frank" coming from another person.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
I'm fairly realistic to myself, so I don't think having someone talking to me like I talk to myself as a big deal.

I know I drink too much. When my wife gets mad, she calls me a worthless drunk.
I know I'm a fairly vain man, which my wife reminds me of whenever she feels the need to.

I need someone who sets me straight from time to time. I know my faults, but being reminded of them doesn't hurt.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need someone who sets me straight from time to time. I know my faults, but being reminded of them doesn't hurt.
Do you feel she extends you that same courtesy, or does she fly off the handle whenever you point out one of her faults?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts