Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more:

Where do you stand on the issue of piracy? Have you ever done it? Do you still do it? Do you buy bootlegs? How do you think it has affected the music and movie industries? What do you think a reasonable punishment should be for a person caught pirating, if any?

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, this is the spectacular ad that got me thinking about this in the first place:

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Piracy is what law abiding citizens do when the government interferes with free trade.

How can it be legal for there to be a blockbuster video where I pay someone to watch their copy of another's movie but I can't merely download it for personal use? How can it be legal that someone sells me a used CD then gives none of the profits to the artist yet me doing the same without the middleman is problematic?

Piracy only exists because the corporations haven't figured out how to be profitable through free music. They're learning now. Just look at concert ticket prices. They're even putting on large events. IHeartRadio is ClearChannel rebranded. The technology exists that would allow for complete vertical integration of music and movies but the companies just don't want to change their paradigm.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
Piracy is what law abiding citizens do when the government interferes with free trade.

How can it be legal for there to be a blockbuster video where I pay someone to watch their copy of another's movie but I can't merely download it for personal use? How can it be legal that someone sells me a used CD then gives none of the profits to the artist yet me doing the same without the middleman is problematic?

Piracy only exists because the corporations haven't figured out how to be profitable through free music. They're learning now. Just look at concert ticket prices. They're even putting on large events. IHeartRadio is ClearChannel rebranded. The technology exists that would allow for complete vertical integration of music and movies but the companies just don't want to change their paradigm.
You really don't see the difference in those scenarios? In the case of blockbuster, the rental company pays for the right to rent out those videos, so those that created the work of art are compensated. You downloading it for free from someone else who is distributing it to an enormous amount of people for free (and who likely only paid enough to get the DVD for personal use) is far different, isn't it? Similarly, a person who sells you a used CD has a product that was purchased at some point... if the creators are compensated at the point of purchase then it doesn't matter whether the person re-sells that one item... online piracy is more like me buying a CD, making a bunch of copies of that CD, and then selling those copies for a profit. Dornado's burned-CD emporium would be stealing their intellectual property, just selling my copy of a CD I bought wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
I'm sure if I was a musical artist or actor, I wouldn't like the idea of piracy. But I'm not and if I can find a way to get a movie or album free, I'll do it.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
You really don't see the difference in those scenarios? In the case of blockbuster, the rental company pays for the right to rent out those videos, so those that created the work of art are compensated. You downloading it for free from someone else who is distributing it to an enormous amount of people for free (and who likely only paid enough to get the DVD for personal use) is far different, isn't it? Similarly, a person who sells you a used CD has a product that was purchased at some point... if the creators are compensated at the point of purchase then it doesn't matter whether the person re-sells that one item... online piracy is more like me buying a CD, making a bunch of copies of that CD, and then selling those copies for a profit. Dornado's burned-CD emporium would be stealing their intellectual property, just selling my copy of a CD I bought wouldn't.
So if I bought a copy of 10 DVDs of a particular movie, I can let people watch one of them over and over again while charging them but not giving money to the studio? Or are you arguing that because the studios are complicit and facilitating the rental industry its okay? I remember a time when they weren't okay with movie rental stores. So does that make them pirates too?

You look at used CD stores and tell me where the cut of the profit is for the studio when a CD gets ripped onto your computer (legal) and then sold to a secondhand store (legal) which is then sold to another person at a profit (legal). In all of this, the music company receives only ONE payment. The secondhand store is selling copies of the music company's music WITHOUT paying royalties.

Now on to that digital copy. Is it legal for you to keep that copy of a CD even though you don't have that album anymore?

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
You have always had high speed internet too I bet. Music before Napster was a whole lot more difficult to get ahold of without buying the CD.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
I have occasionally grabbed a sports stream but that's it.

I've paid for Richmond's sports stream (~$100/year) but then they black out a bunch of the best home games, and they don't tell you that beforehand. The A-10's TV deal is truly awful.

In that case, I have zero guilt about pirating the stream, since it was stolen from me to begin with.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
The biggest thing I "Pirate" would be television shows, because I find it obnoxious to try and figure out the ever changing tv schedules and then have to get a TiVo/dvr to record every show. So, I download them. But I don't think downloading TV shows is illegal(anyone know?) since the majority of shows are streamed on their websites, and I mean DVRs are basically the same shit anyway.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The biggest thing I "Pirate" would be television shows, because I find it obnoxious to try and figure out the ever changing tv schedules and then have to get a TiVo/dvr to record every show. So, I download them. But I don't think downloading TV shows is illegal(anyone know?) since the majority of shows are streamed on their websites, and I mean DVRs are basically the same shit anyway.
I think that's a pretty fuzzy line.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I think that's a pretty fuzzy line.
I haven't heard of any cases of people pirating television shows and being prosecuted or fined. Feel like it's pretty hard to enforce. I mean I realize me downloading a show vs having a DVR/TIVO record means I'm not being registered as a "viewer" for their ratings. But that's about the only difference I can think of.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't heard of any cases of people pirating television shows and being prosecuted or fined. Feel like it's pretty hard to enforce. I mean I realize me downloading a show vs having a DVR/TIVO record means I'm not being registered as a "viewer" for their ratings. But that's about the only difference I can think of.
Right. That's why it's fuzzy. Those shows base the vast majority of their decisions off ratings. You are watching them without contributing to that number (or buying a DVD).

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Right. That's why it's fuzzy. Those shows base the vast majority of their decisions off ratings. You are watching them without contributing to that number (or buying a DVD).
I've thought about getting a DVR but I would have to modify it for a bigger Hard Drive to keep everything on. But I would have to get TV service as well. Been hunting for a reasonable package for awhile, but these providers are ridiculous.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've thought about getting a DVR but I would have to modify it for a bigger Hard Drive to keep everything on. But I would have to get TV service as well. Been hunting for a reasonable package for awhile, but these providers are ridiculous.
True. I pay an arm and a leg for my cable service.

·
TiMVP2
817 Posts
Piracy is fine. A lot of people still don't know how to do it or still buy anyway if they like it. Piracy has opened people to things they otherwise would've never checked out because they didn't want to pay. It has hurt album sales a lot though, but I feel like artists have more fans now because someone bootlegged their album.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Piracy is fine. A lot of people still don't know how to do it or still buy anyway if they like it. Piracy has opened people to things they otherwise would've never checked out because they didn't want to pay. It has hurt album sales a lot though, but I feel like artists have more fans now because someone bootlegged their album.
You can say the same thing about the used cd stores.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts