Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/20...e-offenses/?utm_source=SDS&utm_medium=twitter

:sigh:

“I think that the way people are going no-huddle right now, that at some point in time, we should look at how fast we allow the game to go in terms of player safety,” Saban said Wednesday on the SEC teleconference. “The team gets in the same formation group. You can’t substitute defensive players. You go on a 14-, 16- or 18-play drive and they’re snapping the ball as fast as you can go, and you look out there and all your players are walking around and can’t even get lined up. That’s when guys have a much greater chance of getting hurt … when they’re not ready to play. I think that’s something that can be looked at. It’s obviously created a tremendous advantage for the offense when teams are scoring 70 points and we’re averaging 49.5 points a game. More and more people are going to do it.

“I just think there’s got to be some sense of fairness in terms of asking: Is this what we want football to be?”

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
2010 Wisconsin would have been so nasty if they ran no huddle and then sat at the line of scrimmage for 25 seconds, not allowing substitutions.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Yeah, player safety my ass!

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I can't wrap my head around this shit. I am going to assume that he thinks it would be to his advantage to eliminate the No Huddle, but the No Huddle has been a part of the game for as long as any living person can recall.

Maybe he should set an example for everyone else. The next time he's down a couple of scores late in the game he should just run the clock out to show us all that this is a principled position.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
http://espn.go.com/college-football...t-bielema-backed-committee-proposal-slow-rule

I'll come out and say it flat out. Saban is a pussy who doesn't want to give the other guy the right to be smarter than him on offense. The injuries that he's talking about increasing are the ones he's telling his players to fake.

I shall propose a rule change, any Alabama defensive player who lays down on the field during a no-huddle offense should not be allowed back on the field until one offensive possession has transpired or until he's been completely examined by an impartial physician. This is a player safety initiative, if these guys are injured we need to protect them.

Alabama coach Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bret Bielema voiced their concerns about the effects of up-tempo, no-huddle offenses on player safety to the NCAA committee that passed a proposal to slow down those attacks. Neither Saban nor Bielema were on the committee and they did not vote on the proposal passed Wednesday to allow defenses time to substitute between plays by prohibiting offenses from snapping the ball until 29 seconds are left on the 40-second play clock.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
That is so ****ing stupid.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
It's silly, almost zero chance this is anything more than talked about too much.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
lmaoo such a grumpy, old man

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
To be fair, it's very rare that teams actually snap the ball in under 10 seconds. They rush to the line and wait for the play and then go through all their checks and it's usually more like 17 seconds. This just makes it so if a defense tries to sub while the offense is just standing their waiting for a play, they can't quick snap on them. I think it is reasonable that the defense be allowed to sub players.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Why should the defense get a vote in what the offense does or doesn't do? If they want to make decisions like that, then they should get the ****ing ball back.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be fair, it's very rare that teams actually snap the ball in under 10 seconds. They rush to the line and wait for the play and then go through all their checks and it's usually more like 17 seconds. This just makes it so if a defense tries to sub while the offense is just standing their waiting for a play, they can't quick snap on them. I think it is reasonable that the defense be allowed to sub players.
Yeah, it's more about the threat that offenses can snap the ball at any time rather than how much it actually happens, but I doubt this proposal gets approved.

I like Art Briles' suggestion to move it to 35 seconds.

There isn't even really a correlation between pace and scoring. Florida State didn't have a problem setting the scoring record running a more traditional offense.

·
Premium Member
23,791 Posts
While I can see an Oregon-esque pace causing player safety issues for the defense, I highly doubt that's the actual motivation for Saban to be making a big deal about it...

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Saban might have a legitimate argument if he could produce some studies that showed higher correlation of injuries in fast pace environment that he's referring to. I doubt he is prepared to do that though.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://cfbmatrix.com/speed-may-kill-but-slow-gets-you-hurt/

Top 15 ‘Fast’ Teams in AQ Football 2012

Average Plays per Game: 81.2
Total Starts Lost to Injury: 88
Average Number of Starts Lost Per Team: 5.87
Average Starts Lost per Play: .072

Top 15 ‘Slow’ Teams in AQ Football 2012

Average Plays per Game: 66.2
Total Starts Lost to Injury: 112
Average Number of Starts Lost Per Team: 7.50
Average Starts Lost per Play: .113

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts
I'd take saban more seriously if he hadn't used the no huddle to beat the Aggies this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts