Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think Portland has the right to sign him first, so unless they trade him or something, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
741 Posts
insidehoops.com posted a quote from Sabonis about a week ago that said he didn't expect to be going to Los Angeles.

But of course people can change their minds, maybe they'll offer him some hot LA chicks.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If the Lakers got him-the rest of the NBA wouldn't have a chance-I hope they get him :yes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting him.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Sabonis would be perfect in the triangle and as Shaq's back-up

If the Lakeshow gets Sabonis, it would be perfrect!!! for the triangle and as Shaq's back-up. He might be older, but he did mention, he's still in BBAll shape & has daily workouts.

He has an outstanding shooting touch, especially from 3-point range, we know how some centers don't like to come out and play Deffense 15 or 20 feet away from the basket, Sabonis will make them pay for doing that, We saw how he played Shaq in the past, he drilled all those 3's. He has great size, that will be an adavantage he's always had. for him to come in and play 10-15 mins, will be just enough for Shaq to get his breather. If he lands in LA, The Lakeshow will be improved up front @ Center.

;) :yes:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Does the article say how they are going to get him, if not how are they going to get him? I don't feel like registering for something that I am going to read only once.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
blkwdw13

Click onto the link posted up top by - The_Truth and you won't have to register for reading it once

·
Registered
514 Posts
I read that but to read the whole article you have toregister to read what the rest of it says.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sabonis Return Would Intrigue the Lakers----by Tim Brown, From theStaffAndWireReports

Arvydas Sabonis' return to the NBA after a year away appears to be a possibility and therefore he is at least a curiosity for the Lakers, who would like a backup to Shaquille O'Neal but don't have much to spend for it.

Sabonis, the hulking 7-foot-3, 37-year-old Lithuanian, was last seen fleeing the Portland Trail Blazers, one of whom, Rasheed Wallace, had thrown a towel in his face during a regular-season game at Staples Center against the Lakers. He was said to have been in Los Angeles this week, though the Lakers neither met with Sabonis nor planned to.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Coach Phil Jackson are out of town.

Laker management has had discussions with Sabonis' agent, Chicago-based Herb Rudoy, to investigate the chance Sabonis would restart his career as a reserve in Los Angeles.

Sources in Portland said Sabonis would meet as early as Tuesday with Trail Blazer President/General Manager Bob Whitsitt and Coach Maurice Cheeks, though Whitsitt would not confirm that, and that the Trail Blazers already had offers of $6 million for one year or $10 million for two years on the table.

Though those close to Sabonis regularly claim he has not played since retiring after the 2000-01 season--a career choice for which O'Neal gleefully takes credit--Sabonis apparently has worked out with a professional team in Malaga, Spain, where he resides, and with a team he partly owns in Lithuania. In March, Sabonis told a Lithuanian reporter that he was only 15 pounds over his playing weight and that he was swimming and shooting regularly.

The Trail Blazers, overmatched with Dale Davis at center against O'Neal, retain their rights to Sabonis, and therefore can offer far more than the Lakers can, despite being well over the salary cap. The Lakers have only their $1.4-million exception, and apparently would have to sell Sabonis on a chance for a championship.

Tim Brown

First-round pick Chris Wilcox signed a three-year contract with the Clippers worth about $5.16 million under the rookie wage scale.

The 6-10, 221-pound forward was the eighth selection in the draft.

Phoenix Sun forward Shawn Marion agreed to a $79-million, six-year contract, according to a team official who did not want to be identified.... The New Jersey Nets brought Chris Childs back into the fold, signing him to a two-year, $3.5-million contract as a backup for point guard Jason Kidd.... The Denver Nuggets acquired forward Don Reid and a future first-round selection from the Orlando Magic for a second-round draft pick in 2004.

·
Registered
514 Posts
No thats not what I'm asking I just wanted to know from anybody that read it what it said, somebody that is already registered, I don't really care that much or I would of registered myself. So don't worry about it.

Sorry I was to late but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No prob. it took me 5 seconds, and I gave them a stupid email address that I made for something like that!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is one of the reasons I don't think that Sabonis will go to the Lakers.

OK. Sabonis is Lithuanian, so he is not American. He came to play in the U.S. because...
1.) NBA players get millions of dollars.
2.) The U.S. usually is where the best basketball players come from.
OK, so Sabonis comes to Portland and plays for the Blazers. He plays for a while, then he quits, and goes back to Lithuania. Then, a year later, the U.S. championship team says to him that he could play for them and get a world championship. Meanwhile, his original U.S. team, the Blazers, are offering much more money than the Lakers are. So, Sabonis is left to choose between money and a championship. I'm making a generalization here about foreign players, but I honestly think that NBA players born in the U.S. care about the championship more than foreign players do. Let me give you an example.

I'm a really good basketball player. I go off to Lithuania and play in the Lithuanian league for a while. I never win a championship, but they remember me over there. Then, a year later, two Lithuanian teams offer to sign me. One is offering less money, but a shot at a Lithuanian championship. I wouldn't be getting more than 15 MPG if I joined that team. Now, I care about winning, but a Lithuanian championship isn't really that important to me, because I don't live there, and I've never even gone there except to play basketball. I know that people say that the U.S. champions are the world champions, but that's just arrogance. The Lakers cannot be called the world champions, because they do not play with foreign teams.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I tought, but they are called the world champions, because they have the best basketball availabe, and all the great players come here. Like Sabonis, don't you think that he's got already so much money? And also don't you think that he has earned money while playing in Russia?

·
Registered
514 Posts
No thats an Idea; get all the championship team from all the leagues around the world and have a international tournament. It would be interesting and probably would get great TV review.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by the_truth
Thats what I tought, but they are called the world champions, because they have the best basketball availabe, and all the great players come here. Like Sabonis, don't you think that he's got already so much money? And also don't you think that he has earned money while playing in Russia?
Yeah, I'm sure Sabonis is pretty loaded. But, the fact is, the NBA champs are not the world champs. Does the fact that we SAY they are the world champs MEAN they are the world champs? No. Granted, the NBA attracts the best players from around the world and the Lakers would probably win an international tournament, but I don't think that other countries appreciate being told who the WORLD champions are, considering that the Lakers haven't played against any foreign teams.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I said I think thats messed up too, but is there any country that could play vs an NBA TEAM??? Maybe a Wolrd Cup for Basketball woud help? Each nations winners go to a choosen country to represent their country.

I am from Europe, and I really tought its stupid that a team is called the world champs but don't play vs other internationl teams but WHO would be good enough to play against them? Whats the point in traveling to another country and just prove them wrong?

Baseball has the same thing- The world Championship!

But that doesn't bother me, I mean its just sports.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by the_truth
As I said I think thats messed up too, but is there any country that could play vs an NBA TEAM??? Maybe a Wolrd Cup for Basketball woud help? Each nations winners go to a choosen country to represent their country.

I am from Europe, and I really tought its stupid that a team is called the world champs but don't play vs other internationl teams but WHO would be good enough to play against them? Whats the point in traveling to another country and just prove them wrong?

Baseball has the same thing- The world Championship!

But that doesn't bother me, I mean its just sports.
Well...next season let's just not play all the Lakers vs. Bulls games! We know who's gonna win, right? You play the games for a reason. It just so happens that the Bulls swept the Lakers this season.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We do play against the rest of the world, its call the Olimpics and we always stomp on the rest of the world. The best NBA players are not always on the Olimpic team either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts