Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recap

With an opportunity to extend his team's season well into the spring, Peja Stojakovic helped put the Sacramento Kings over the top.

Stojakovic scored 35 points, including six 3-pointers, as the Kings clinched a playoff spot with a 119-115 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers.
Peja paints playoff picture for Kings

So Adelman understandably was breathing easier after the game. By that time, he'd found out that Kenny Thomas had not suffered any serious damage despite being knocked out of the game in the first quarter by an elbow to the right eye by Portland center Joel Przybilla. Thomas is expected to be available for Sunday's home game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Williamson had played well throughout the contest on the way to his 16-point, 11-rebound performance. But it was a takedown of Przybilla with 6:08 left in the game that had the crowd booing and the Portland center acting as if he wanted to fight.

"I tried to give (Przybilla) a hug around his neck and tell him to take it easy on us," Williamson said of the incident, which resulted in a flagrant foul. "He'd banged up a couple of our players, and he'd hit me a few times.

"I guess I hugged him too hard."
:rofl:

Mark Kreidler: Thumbs up for Adelman in 'down' season

Let me paint a scenario. Take a team that came within one game of playing in the Western Conference finals last year. Immediately subtract your best passer in the modern era, Vlade Divac, and the NBA's best three-point shooter by percentage, Anthony Peeler.

It's all still good, right? Now establish your power forward, Webber, as a guy who simply isn't going to return to what he was before his severe knee injury. He is, let's say, 75 percent of his former athletic self.

Add Stojakovic as an unhappy camper who requests a trade during the summer and then reports in something less than his usual stellar shape. Give newcomer Greg Ostertag a training camp injury. Pack the entire group off to China for an NBA goodwill tour that essentially costs one week of camp time. (Post-China, the Kings lose four of five exhibition games and go 0-3 to begin the season; their travel partners, the Houston Rockets, go 1-3 in subsequent exhibitions, 0-2 to begin the season and 6-11 through 17.)

Right the ship and then lose Bobby Jackson for the season. Right it again and watch Doug Christie, then Webber, be traded in the first two explosive in-season deals of the Geoff Petrie era. Lose Brad Miller. Coach for your playoff life down the stretch with an available roster that includes exactly three of the players from that conference semifinalist of one year ago.

Adelman has coached Kings teams that were fantastically more successful, but, look, he has never done more with less. Make that more: More tumult. More upheaval. More change.
Kings notes: Kings get unwelcome morning wake-up call

"There was no way to miss it with the alarms going off like they were," Kings guard Mike Bibby said. "They got everybody up and out of their rooms."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts