Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skinner, Thomas outperform Webber

Chris Webber returned to Arco Arena on Monday night and showed why Kings fans developed such deep-seated feelings about him during a seven-year run that lifted an afterthought of a team to a perennial playoff contender.

He also showed why the Kings are better off without him.
Webber gets warm welcome, Kings get win

And his warm memories of his time with the Kings will last much longer than the sting of this loss.
After hitting four of his first five shots, Webber never got in a rhythm. The five-time All-Star went 8-for-26, missing nine of his 12 shots after halftime - and after he returned to the game with 5:37 to play, Sacramento scored nine straight points to clinch the win.
Love and misses

"It was the first time I'd been traded in the middle of the season, first time I was traded from a championship contender, first time I was traded when I was on the road, first time I had to pack six years worth of stuff in one day," Webber said. "Yeah, it was different."
Arco game report: Barnes suffering on bench in Philly

So, all things considered, how's it going, Matt?

"Terrible," the swingman muttered. "It's not going very well at all. I know this is a business, but I didn't expect this. And to not play at all, it hurts. I'm very disappointed."
Mark Kreidler: Fans' salute to Webber honors past greatness

There was a little love in the air at Arco Arena on Monday night, and it figures. If you focus on Webber through the prism of the classic Kings fan - long-suffering, formerly used to getting excited over how the draft lottery might turn out, able to recite Duane Causwell's blocks-per-minute ratio upon request - the only appropriate response to his pregame introduction as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers was the sustained and appreciative ovation that Webber received
Well-wishers cuddle C-Webb

"It was almost like just coming in and trying to separate this day as a different part of my career here," he told the packed interview room that for the first time during a regular-season game hosted an opposing player for a postgame session. "I didn't want this to be me versus them. I enjoyed my time here. I wanted to win, but there will be some guys in that (Kings') locker room who I'll be friends with when we probably can't even walk from all this playing.

·
MANRAM!
18,056 Posts
S-Star said:
There was a letter from a Kings' employee about this article on the Slam Online's 'The Links'

Lang, although I am a daily links reader, I have yet to email you, until now. I am an employee of the Sacramento Kings, more
behind the scenes. Anyways, I understand your dislike for ESPN and their continuing errors in sports reporting. The following is more
fuel to add to the fire.

I stumbled upon a story about Chris Webber's return to Sacramento posted on espn.com by Ric Bucher on March 28, 2005. In it is states: "After the game, he talked about his love for Sacramento and the friendships with Kings teammates that will endure, although it's worth noting that none got together with him when he arrived in town Sunday night, nor did any stick around to see him off after his news conference."

The interesting thing is that I was there that (last) night and some of his former teammates did stick around to see Chris off, the most notable being Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Brad Miller, Greg Ostertag, and Peja Stojakovic. Let me note that these players don't stick around long after games, but this night they did. Players like Bibby, Jackson, and Peja stuck around the tunnel just outside the media room and locker room to wait for their former teammate. All exchanged long, genuine hugs with Chris. Some, like Brad Miller and Greg Ostertag, even went onto the court long after the game and waited for Chris to come out of the tunnel. Chris visited with a group of underpriveleged children (I believe) and a few friends. Brad and Greg came over afterwards to exchange, again, long and genuine hugs. As all of these events unfolded, nowhere did I notice Ric Bucher. So who is he to say that none of his friends stuck around afterward when he didn't himself. Everybody from photographers, camera crews, ballboys and friends stuck around to see Webb for the last time this season. Ric Bucher didn't. Who makes this stuff up anyway? Oh yeah, ESPN.

·
Banned
8,423 Posts
Peja Vu said:
There was a letter from a Kings' employee about this article on the Slam Online's 'The Links'
Bucher is the worst reporter/analyst/person in the universe. He sucks big time. Should never be allowed to be on TV. :nonono:

He actually knows nothing about basketball.

·
Registered
521 Posts
OMG, good find Peja Vu! I'm glad someone wrote up about Ric's article. That article was so funny and stupid. :sour:

I knew Webb's former teammates will meet up with him. That's what I love about our guys, they're not ignorance people. They will always support Webb as a friend no matter what. :clap:

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
The interesting thing is that I was there that (last) night and some of his former teammates did stick around to see Chris off, the most notable being Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Brad Miller, Greg Ostertag, and Peja Stojakovic. Let me note that these players don't stick around long after games, but this night they did. Players like Bibby, Jackson, and Peja stuck around the tunnel just outside the media room and locker room to wait for their former teammate. All exchanged long, genuine hugs with Chris.
This made my day, I knew that Peja and Webb were good friends and the media blew everything up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts