1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SAINT LOUIS

W - NOV.12 USC-UPSTATE
W - NOV. 14 SANTA CLARA
W - Nov.19 vs. Texas A&M (CBE Classic in Kansas City, Mo)
L - Nov.20 vs Kansas (CBE Classic)
W - NOV. 24 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
L - Nov. 28 at Washington
W - DEC. 2 VALPARAISO
W - DEC. 5 NORTH TEXAS
W - DEC. 15 UT-MARTIN
W - DEC. 19 EASTERN ILLINOIS
W - DEC. 22 LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
w - DEC. 28 SIU-EDWARDSVILLE
L - DEC. 31 NEW MEXICO
W - JAN. 4 SAVANNAH STATE

NONCON FORECAST: 11-3

A-10 FORECAST: 12-4

OVERALL PREDICTION: 23-7

St. Louis can beat any team on its schedule, and if Rick Majerus were still coach, I'd probably have the Bills getting thru their noncon slate with just one loss.

After dispatching SC Upstate, SLU takes care of a young and improving Santa Clara before heading into a showdown in Kansas City.

Texas A&M has a new coach, new conference and a desire to play a more uptempo style. Youth and reckless abandon are unlikely to beat the Bills near their backyard. A win over A&M sets up a huge date with kansas.

The Jayhawks, on paper, look like a top 25 team, but not a dominant team as in years past. The frontcourt and backcourt are very good but not great. Huge chance for SLU to make a national splash and my gut says it will happen. My head says Kansas wins a close one.

SLU returns home to take care of Southern Illinois, a program that has really gone south. SIU replaced their once-hot coach after a 22-loss season and is rebuilding.

The Bills head out to Washington for a return game, but this time they get run out of the gym (unlike last year when SJU dominated). Not a great Washington team with a bona fide star, but the huskies have athletes and experience.

SLU returns home for an unbelievable eight straight games - what is this, the Midwestern Syracuse!

Valparaiso is the best of the lot, the defending Horizon League champs who boast the league's MVP. but Homer Drew is gone again, retired for good, and the team faces a problem similar to the departure of RM from SLU. Possible upset, but the Bills seal the deal.

North Texas is a solid team (18-14) and new member of Conference USA. They have a good, athletic backcourt and a very good forward in 6-8 bruiser Tony Mitchell.

UT Martin lost 27 games last year.

Eastern Illinois was 12-17 and has to replace all five starters.

Loyola Maramount beat a jet-lagged SLU last year - helped by some crazy shooting - but the Bills will be looking to return the favor. Loyola lost several key players from last year's team.

SIU-Edwardsville is mediocre and without anyone special players.

I really think an RM team would beat New Mexico, which won a close one over SLU last year. I have a hard time seeing the Bills get thru noncon with just two lossses, however.

If SLU does beat New Mexico, an upset could come against the team's last noncon foe. Savannah State (21-12) is a small, quick and athletic team, with all five starters back, that could pull an upset if an unsuspecting SLU lets down its guard and plays lethargic.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
i find it interesting that SLU only plays 1 game outside the Missouri

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
So SLU plays 1 true road game all year in the non-conference. That's crazy. I don't know how they pulled that off, but I won't lie, I'm jealous. That's a luxury only elite blue blood programs can usually afford. Their fans are going to get to see their team a whole lot this year.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
So SLU plays 1 true road game all year in the non-conference. That's crazy. I don't know how they pulled that off, but I won't lie, I'm jealous. That's a luxury only elite blue blood programs can usually afford. Their fans are going to get to see their team a whole lot this year.
Rick had made a habit about being unhappy with travel. Too bad he's not going to be around for this schedule.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This is what high-level fan support does for you. It's also typical of most of the bigger conference schools (who usually play 2 or less true road games). I'm very happy to see SLU load up on home games as long as they win them all. If everyone in conference could do that, the perception of the conference strength would skyrocket. But alas, most of our schools are unable to do that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I fully expect this non-conference schedule to yield 6 or 7 Top 100 RPI teams...which is quite surprising given the unimpressive schools that we play

1 - 12 of 12 Posts