Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He shoots lights out, he is the leader of one of the best teams in the nation and he can hit big shots when they count (game-winner against OSU tonight). I see him sort of like Gilbert Arenas, another former U of A player. He could put up 15-20ppg in the NBA if he got the chance and could play either guard position. Shooters like Stoudamire are hard to come by in the NBA, so even completely non-athletic whiteys like Kyle Korver can make a name for themselves if they can stroke the three.

I'm hoping the Lakers grab him with either their first rounder (lottery) or get lucky because of the foolishness of other teams and steal him in the second round.

Reactions: ATLien

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I used to like the Steve Kerr comparison on Salim, but after watching him play his last few games, i'm gonna give him a less one-dimesional Steve Kerr comparison. He has that sick outside shot, but unlike most shooters, he has the ability to create off the dribble when the outside shot isn't there for him. I see him as a 10-15 ppg starter on a team with a big PG to offset his size.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
if i'm a team like the bobcats, i definately grab him in the 2nd round if a have a chance. he's going to be able to score points in the nba. it looks like he's moving up in the draft though with how his tournament has gone, so i bet some team takes him with their late 1st. i could see him fitting in well with a lot of teams even though he's undersized for a sg and not really a pg. he would be prefect on the rockets as a very good outside shooter to surround tmac and yao.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would love to have him in Utah(Bell's contract is done this year and Giribeck, nevermind)

Anyways does anyone know if he's a compulsive choker, a cancer like his cousin. If so i'd be hard pressed to want him on the team, but who knows, the talent is there. And like you said, besides having a good stroke, he can create one one one off the dribble and move way better than Kerr and most spot up shooters.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
The Bobcats don't have a second rounder, but I'd like to see the Clipps grab him with Charlotte's 2nd rounder (they got it from the Melvin "Mervin" Ely deal). Salim would give the Clipps the perfect gunner off the bench that they're missing, and they can afford a short guard because of Livingston's and Jaric's height.

IMO he's best with one dribble coming off screens, which is important since a spot up shooter just misses or makes but doesn't improve the shoot he's taking. Let's face it, he shot 51% on 3's, and he chucked half off those up from NBA range or beyond (he hit a 30+ footer or so against UCLA as if it was a freethrow). He'll be a nice roleplayer and at worst he's like Chucky Atkins.

I don't see him at all as an Eddie House-type though. House was a really prolific scorer at ASU (he topped 50 in the Pac-10, that's big), but he never was a great shooter outside of 15 feet. House scored his points by getting to the rim and coming off of screens from 10 to 15 feet out. House played like a poor man's AI. Salim on the other hand lives outside and rarely attacks the basket or takes a 10 to 15 footer that isn't his floater (he shoots a nice floater). He could be like David Wesley (that's a good and a bad thing), or maybe he'll become more of a PG at some point (his ballhandling should prohibit that though; he has a terrible right hand).

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
he may be the best shooter i've ever seen
the type of shots he takes as far as degree of diffuculty
and how often they go in for him and how easy they look for him
... it makes me smile watchin him play

but at the same time he plays so so stupidly
but hey, even when he is hoggin it and just heavin 30 footers if they go in 51.5 percent of the time...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
the black steve kerr with some ballhandling abilities

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sad Mafioso said:
I would love to have him in Utah(Bell's contract is done this year and Giribeck, nevermind)

Anyways does anyone know if he's a compulsive choker, a cancer like his cousin. If so i'd be hard pressed to want him on the team, but who knows, the talent is there. And like you said, besides having a good stroke, he can create one one one off the dribble and move way better than Kerr and most spot up shooters.

He hit winning shot against OSU last night

·
Registered
420 Posts
Salim's problem is that unlike Michael Redd or Kyle Korver (two guys who came into the league as pure shooters) he isn't 6'6". Despite his inhumanly quick release, he'll still struggle a bit getting his shot off against bigger NBA defenders.

As a role player off the bench to pour in 3-4 3's in a quick run though, he's gonna be great. I think he has a long career in the NBA, but never as a solid starter.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
vadimivich said:
Salim's problem is that unlike Michael Redd or Kyle Korver (two guys who came into the league as pure shooters) he isn't 6'6". Despite his inhumanly quick release, he'll still struggle a bit getting his shot off against bigger NBA defenders.

As a role player off the bench to pour in 3-4 3's in a quick run though, he's gonna be great. I think he has a long career in the NBA, but never as a solid starter.
Agreed. In other words, Steve Kerr.

·
Registered
155 Posts
vadimivich said:

Michael Redd was far from a pure shooter when he came into the league...That was actually one of the knocks on him, he got his shot through very hard work in his rookie year.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Yeah that's true. Michael Redd was a slasher in college; he was able to knock down the open 3, but it wasn't a great strength of his at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I was in the Cleveland Cavaliers front office I would do absolutely anything I could to get my hands on Salim. He is a pure shooter with unbelievalbe range. I don't care how big he is, this guy can definitely play in the league.

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
He could be a decent pick up as a complement to a dominant player, a guy who gets spot-up three-pointers out of double teams. Miami, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Houston would do well to look at him at the end of the first round.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts