Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
If Nate...and this isn't a crack on Nate....let telfair do what Scott lets Paul do I think you'd see their numbers wouldn't be far off. In fact, although still better in some categories, Paul vs Telfair for 48 minutes is closer than their stats indicate also. chris Paul is a hell of a player, but Telfair isn't in the same possition he is with his coach. Telfair will be a s good of a player as Chris Paul

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
mediocre man said:
If Nate...and this isn't a crack on Nate....let telfair do what Scott lets Paul do I think you'd see their numbers wouldn't be far off. In fact, although still better in some categories, Paul vs Telfair for 48 minutes is closer than their stats indicate also. chris Paul is a hell of a player, but Telfair isn't in the same possition he is with his coach. Telfair will be a s good of a player as Chris Paul
I don't know if he'll be "as good as", but he'll be good enough so that in 3-4 years we can have people stop bringing up the drafting of Webster.

pfft yah right. That'll be brought up constantly.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
CP has done a good job this year with NO/OKL. I don't consider it rubbing "salt in the wound" at all from a Trail Blazers fan standpoint. We have our PG of the future in Telfair. Don't you see his development yet? Now compared to last year's end? Last year's end to when he was in Summer Ball? He's grown in maturity and skill. He didn't have the 2-3 yrs experience of college that CP had - but he's catching up lightning quick.

Prediction: Next season Telfair and Webster will make us forget all this jabbering about Al Jefferson and CP (the should-a-bins). They will be equals in production.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Chris Paul is an amazing player. The Blazers blew it, and I find it very very difficult to believe that Webster and Jack will be at the level that Paul will end up at.

Guess we'll see.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Ed O said:
Chris Paul is an amazing player. The Blazers blew it, and I find it very very difficult to believe that Webster and Jack will be at the level that Paul will end up at.

Guess we'll see.

Ed O.
I think you're wrong. I think in the long run, a backcourt of Telfair, Webster, & Jack is going to be pretty darn good. Telfair's got a ways to go, but his game is developing. Given that he came straight out of high school and has had to play for three different NBA coaches who all want a little something different from their point guard, it's not surprising that he's taken a while to get it together. What he's shown this past month or so certainly gives optimism that he's going to be a special player in this league. No knock on Paul, but I think the combination of what the Blazers got in successive drafts will look to have been a pretty smart move a couple of years down the road.

As you say, I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ed O said:

Guess we'll see.

Ed O.
Remember when the Blazers had the 2nd pick in the 1985 draft, and passed on a kid named Michael Jordan? Well, do you remember that at the time of that draft we had a promising young guy at the same position named Clyde Drexler, that we just so happened to pick the year before? The rationale within the front office in those days was that the Blazers already had a young SG, and didn't need another one with a very similar style of play. So, we picked up Sam Bowie thinking we were building a more complete team. I mean, we sorely needed a PF at that point. But, to make a long story short, Sam Bowie eventually ended up shattering both his kneecaps the next year. We unloaded him on New Jersey, and haven't thought of him since (well, not too hard at least)

The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter what your team needs, or if your team is backed up at one position. As long as you suck you would do well to take the best possible player in the draft, and not what you "think" you need.

I agree. The Blazers should have snatched up Paul with the quickness. Although, I am content with Webster. He has been the best straight out of high school rookie we have ever had. He will be good. I just don't know how good yet. Will he ever be as good as Chris Paul? IMO, yes. Maybe even better just because of his size. But, that just may be wishful thinking on my part. Let's hope it isn't, and let's hope Chris Paul isn't a Blazerkiller. That would just be too much to take. I went through that in the 90's with Jordan. I don't think I could handle something like that again.

Anyways, yeah....

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
I think Webster will turn out to be the best player from his draft so it doesn't matter how Telfair matches up with Paul.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
ThePrideOfClyde said:
Remember when the Blazers had the 2nd pick in the 1985 draft, and passed on a kid named Michael Jordan? Well, do you remember that at the time of that draft we had a promising young guy at the same position named Clyde Drexler, that we just so happened to pick the year before? The rationale within the front office in those days was that the Blazers already had a young SG, and didn't need another one with a very similar style of play. So, we picked up Sam Bowie thinking we were building a more complete team. I mean, we sorely needed a PF at that point. But, to make a long story short, Sam Bowie eventually ended up shattering both his kneecaps the next year. We unloaded him on New Jersey, and haven't thought of him since (well, not too hard at least)

The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter what your team needs, or if your team is backed up at one position. As long as you suck you would do well to take the best possible player in the draft, and not what you "think" you need.

I agree. The Blazers should have snatched up Paul with the quickness. Although, I am content with Webster. He has been the best straight out of high school rookie we have ever had. He will be good. I just don't know how good yet. Will he ever be as good as Chris Paul? IMO, yes. Maybe even better just because of his size. But, that just may be wishful thinking on my part. Let's hope it isn't, and let's hope Chris Paul isn't a Blazerkiller. That would just be too much to take. I went through that in the 90's with Jordan. I don't think I could handle something like that again.

Anyways, yeah....
Great post i always say take the best available player no matter what u need.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Guys, you don't need to worry about Telfair. I see such similarities between the two, and Chris Paul can't hit a 3 point shoot to well. If the Hornets weren't in the playoff hunt, people would not be talking about Chris Paul so much. Chris Paul is the leader of that team, and that's hard to compare with Telfair who has been coming off the bench since after the first month of the season. Telfair didn't have a first month to the season when he started 27 games, but this kid is right out of high school, so Chris Paul has a little edge in experience. And more experience can go along way. Telfair will learn, but it will take him more time. Like someone said, if Telfair was getting as many mins as Paul, we would see numbers that may not be as good as Chris Paul's, but close. Nate is really making Telfair learn a lot this year, which is the best way for him to get better. Telfair even said himself last month or so, this is really gonna help Telfair in the long run. I think Nate will open it up more for him next season, and out of all the young guys who Nate said he wanted them to earn it and not just give it to them, Telfair is the first to actually earn more mins with his play, with Webster second. And I don't know what happen to Outlaw, he has fell out the rotation but that's a different topic. Just give Telfair some more time to grow as a player.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
darkhelmit54 said:
the other thing to remember is that we didn't draft webster and telfair over paul and jefferson. We drafted Telfair, Webster, and Jack ofer Paul and Jefferson.
No, Telfair was the year before, we picked Webster instead of possibably taking Paul, heck we might have taken Green! And then we took Jack. Paul wasn't even in the equation when we drafted Telfair.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
mgb said:
No, Telfair was the year before, we picked Webster instead of possibably taking Paul, heck we might have taken Green! And then we took Jack. Paul wasn't even in the equation when we drafted Telfair.
I think he is comparing that we got telfair,jack,webster in stead of paul,jefferson.I might be confused too.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
Zidane said:
I think he is comparing that we got telfair,jack,webster in stead of paul,jefferson.I might be confused too.
So Jefferson was drafted from the same draft as Telfair? He's saying we should have taken Jefferson instead of Telfair and Paul instead of Webster?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I think the comparison is

Telfair - Jefferson

Webster, Jack and DET pick this year - Paul

POR traded up to get Jack, using their own 2nd round pick in addition to the 1st they recieved from UTA, but w\o that pick from UTA, that trade never happens....

Jefferson has shown very little to merit selection over Telfair....Paul is clearly better at this point than Telfair is, however I see a lot of similarities in their game....Jack too, has looked impressive, as has Webster...

I think the HOPE is for POR mgmt, that vindication will come in a few years when Telfair, Webster and Jack mature...and that is a big unknown right now....

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I don't think there is a comparison. I think it's just a "why didn't we take Chris Paul?!" without factoring in Telfair or the thought that most people didn't think Paul would do this well this quickly.

It's easy to look back and criticize.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
LameR said:
I don't think there is a comparison. I think it's just a "why didn't we take Chris Paul?!" without factoring in Telfair or the thought that most people didn't think Paul would do this well this quickly.

It's easy to look back and criticize.
I thought paul was the best player in the draft we had a chance and we blew it but we can't do anything about that now.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Yes, I wish we took Paul. But then again, so does Atlanta, Utah and maby even Milwaukie. Can we all just stop this Paul talk? We had Bassy and had an eye on Jarrett so we decided to not take Chris. Think how stupid Atlanta feels, they had no Point Guards to warrant not taking Paul.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.