Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) His attitude has been questioned - actually all he has really said is that he is underpaid - which is true as before he got his extension guys like Caffey and Tim Thomas got more money than him.He still produces on the court which is all that matters!!

2) That he is too shot happy. Actually I would love a guy to shoot, if he can make 46% of his shots from the field which is what he has been doing consistently. Since when is wanting to shoot a bad thing. His percentage compares very favourably with other point guards and even shooting guards in the league!

3) He wants the ball in the clutch and will take any shot at any time. There are heaps of guys that disappear when the fourth quarter comes around. They do not want to take the clutch shot. Well Cassell, is not one of those guys, he is not afraid to fail. He is a guy that I would love to have in the game when clutch time comes, as he will not go into hiding.

4) He is a career 87% free throw shooter. He likes to drive to the hole, which means an instant two points. How many other people can boast a career 87% from the charity stripe. Also helps when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter, as you cannot afford to foul him, as he will make his free throws.

5) He is coming of his best season in the league. 20 points 6 assists and 4 rebounds per game. Sure he only puts up 6 assists but Robinson and Allen maintained their scoring average last season at 22 points per game for Allen and 20 for Big Dog. I would also like his stats to be 18 and maybe 8 assists but when he can shoot at 46%, than that is acceptable!

6) He has 2 championship rings with the Rockets. Sure he was a backup to Kenny Smith, but he was the spark of the bench that the Rockets needed.They traded him so that they could have got Barkley and then Phoenix traded him so that they could have got Kidd and then New Jersey traded him so that they have got Marbury, so where does his bad attitude come into play?? It was a win for all teams concerned.

7) If he goes to the Bulls or any other lesser team he will win them an extra 5-10 games, as he will easily put up 20 points a game. He will come through in the clutch and not be afraid to not take that last shot.He can be a mentor to younger guards and teach them alot about playing point guard. He has been to the playoffs every year except last year and has been to the NBA finals twice. All his teams have winning records except last year. he has been consistent every year in the league.

8) Has one of the best pull up jump shots of all the point guards at the moment. Only guys that I can think of are Brandon.

9) Has improved his rebounding to 4.5 per game, once again an added bonus for a point guard.

10) He has confidence in himself. The plus of this is that he can lead other players around him to have that same confidence. Confidence within a team is important and if younger players see this in Cassell, it might pass on to them. He believes that he is a good player, well he is!! If players see that Cassell thinks that he can win, then the whole team will have that same mentality. What do you want a guy to say that "I suck and we cannot beat anybody.???"

11) the bottom line is that Cassell is a great player and needs to get some respect around the league as he has produced!!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I guess I am inclined to agree with most of your points about Sam. He delievers when it counts most of the time. As you said, he has a pull up jumper that is just deadly. I like his game for the most part.

Nice post, KOKs!

·
Registered
58 Posts
NOW THAT THE BUCKS TRADE BIG DOG, I DON'T THINK THEY ARE GONNA TRADE CASSELL. HE PICKS UP THE SLACK WHEN RAY AND BIG DOG ARE SHOOTING BADLY...HE WILL NEED TO STEP UP THIS YEAR HIM AND RAY ALLEN....THEY HAVE A GOOD BENCH TOO WITH KUKOC, REDD, E.J., HASILIP AND RUMOR HAS IT THEY MIGHT SIGN T. BEST OR M. BLAYLOCK..

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
He also is the leagues best ball handler next to Kobe and a few other guys

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I couldnt agree more. I remember when Sam use to play for the Rockets. He was one of the best then and he is still one of the top point guards. He demands the ball in the clutch and he delivers.

The worst move that i have seen the Rockets do was to trade Horry, Cassell, Maxwell, etc. for Charles Barkley. We could have won another championship or to if that trade wasnt made.

Cassell had always been a great player and he continues to be one.

And no, Cassell wont get traded now that Robinson is gone.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Good post Hunter...

Originally posted by <b>hunterb14</b>!

The worst move that i have seen the Rockets do was to trade Horry, Cassell, Maxwell, etc. for Charles Barkley. We could have won another championship or to if that trade wasnt made.
I hadn't thought about that move for a very long time. I remember I thought the Rockets were getting shafted when it happened, but around the same time I think the Bulls were getting Rodman. I don't know if the Rockets could have pulled another title out of the Bulls' clutches or not, but I would have loved to see them try. That would have been a great finals (without that trade).

Thanks for that post.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The Rockets couldn't have beaten the Bulls. You must be crazy. The next year the Bulls won 72 games. That was the greatest team ever.

Then the next two years I bet they would have lost to the Jazz. That Jazz team was great they just ran into a team(Bulls) that was greater.
By that time Hakeems carreer had peaked anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why in the world would you bring this OLD thread back up?

By the way, with Cassell coming to Minnesota and McHale looking to deal Terrell Brandon, I see my T-Wolves going deep in the Playoffs. (Of course this is what I said last season) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Re: looks like

Originally posted by <b>The Great JWalk</b>!
You forgot to add looks like ET.
LOL...:laugh:

That is the first thing I thought when I first saw Cassell....

But seriously, he is a good player who plays well and is on a very reasonable contract. The T-wolves will be better next season with him...:yes:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
When he gets intense, there is no guard in the league better then him. If he was playing with a Jason Kidd type passer, he could easily drop 50 at least twice.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
What are you talking about? The only mention of him was saying that they traded him. And look how long ago the first post was, it was definitely before he was traded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts