Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clippers: Should Marcus Fizer stay in Los Angeles after the Bulls play the Clippers on Tuesday? The agent for the little-used forward has been talking to teams about a trade, reportedly with the Bulls' permission.

The Clippers believe they have a chance to sign Kobe Bryant when he becomes a free agent this summer and are looking to clear salary-cap space with expiring contracts. Though owner Donald Sterling often is criticized for not spending money, associates say he'll spend it for a star, especially a Laker such as Bryant. And Fizer becomes a free agent after the season.

One player the Clippers are trying to deal is 6-foot-11-inch Melvin Ely, who has fallen out of the rotation and has played in only one of the last five games. "Right now, Mel's not a guy who is in the top of the rotation," coach Mike Dunleavy said. "We have [Elton] Brand, [Chris] Kaman, [Chris] Wilcox and [Peja] Drobnjak."

Said Ely: "A change of venue for me wouldn't matter. I'm not going to just accept that I'm in the league and I get paid a whole lot of money and be fine with that. I'm trying to be the best at my position."

You've got to like an NBA guy who says "change of venue." The Harvey native could be a good tandem with Eddy Curry, also of Harvey. The Clippers also are said to be willing to part with combo guard Marko Jaric, who has another year on his deal

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-040126smithonbulls,1,4129148.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chicago trades: PF Marcus Fizer (5.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Chicago receives: PF Melvin Ely (4.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.8 minutes)
SG Marko Jaric (8.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.3 apg in 28.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +6.4 ppg, +2.0 rpg, and +4.0 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Melvin Ely (4.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.8 minutes)
SG Marko Jaric (8.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.3 apg in 28.6 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PF Marcus Fizer (5.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26 games)
Change in team outlook: -6.4 ppg, -2.0 rpg, and -4.0 apg.

It seems that the Jay Williams buyout comes at the right moment...We get an extra roster spot

Anyone finding it interesting now???

Hypothetically

Curry/Ely
Davis/Chandler
Dupree/JYD
JC/Jaric
Hin/Jaric

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Again, there is little to no downside to this trade.
Only downside is...is there something much more beneficial that Pax would be willing to do with another roster spot? I'd rather see us make much more of a splash than this. Give me Q! Something like that.

The two might not be mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Only downside is...is there something much more beneficial that Pax would be willing to do with another roster spot? I'd rather see us make much more of a splash than this. Give me Q! Something like that.

Agreed. The trade itself is palatable. But this move alone leaves me very underwhelmed. I like Jaric and I'd like to see how he'd fare w/ major minutes at the 2.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
I imagine Pax could make a much bigger splash if he trades Jamal, Tyson or Eddy. But for Fizer and change? We can't make a splash with him as the primary bait. maybe last year. And all things considered, I'd rather hang on to our other assets than trade them - it's not likely we'd get acceptable value for them right now. With Fizer, ANY player who can contribute constitutes good value (sad as it is to say that).

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
R u kidding,this is a great trade for us.

Jaric is a very good defensive player and has not yet shown the hole picture of his game in the league.he's worth his contract of 2 mil for this season and the next.we don't know yet itmight involve one more player that does not concern Sterling - like Brunson, with an expiring contract.

It also opens some different trade options with Ely that plays 4/5,while Fizer plays only 4(Hardly).So it might be just a trade before another one,who knows...

I sure hope this one goes down.I wouldn't mind adding JC for Q into this,which also fits both teams - Clips get a guy to play PG instead of Dooling,and we get a SG,both with an awful shot selection.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bullet</b>!
R u kidding,this is a great trade for us.

Jaric is a very good defensive player and has not yet shown the hole picture of his game in the league.he's worth his contract of 2 mil for this season and the next.we don't know yet itmight involve one more player that does not concern Sterling - like Brunson, with an expiring contract.

It also opens some different trade options with Ely that plays 4/5,while Fizer plays only 4(Hardly).So it might be just a trade before another one,who knows...

I sure hope this one goes down.I wouldn't mind adding JC for Q into this,which also fits both teams - Clips get a guy to play PG instead of Dooling,and we get a SG,both with an awful shot selection.
Very interesting post, my friend.

Let's say the Clippers are very serious about making a run at Kobe. Color me a skeptic, but Sterling did hand out the cheddar to Brand and Maggette, so maybe he makes a play for the disenchanted Kobe. All indications are that Kobe would NOT be averse to staying in Los Angeles.

1) Clippers trade Q, Ely and Jaric for Crawford and Fizer.
2) Clippers do NOT tender offers to Dooling, Fizer or Crawford
==> Clippers have roughly 29.0M in guaranteed contracts next year, or about 15M under the cap
3) Clippers sign Kobe and either acquire a veteran PG or attempt to resign Crawford or Arroyo
4) Kobe gets to stay home and stick it to the Lakers for the next decade

PG(Crawford/Arroyo), Kobe, Maggette, Brand, Kaman
Wilcox, House, Drobnak, Wang + draft pick

Hey... I'm a closet Clippers fan! :D

The Bulls are still in need of a 3, but keep Curry and Chandler intact.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
I imagine Pax could make a much bigger splash if he trades Jamal, Tyson or Eddy. But for Fizer and change? We can't make a splash with him as the primary bait. maybe last year. And all things considered, I'd rather hang on to our other assets than trade them - it's not likely we'd get acceptable value for them right now. With Fizer, ANY player who can contribute constitutes good value (sad as it is to say that).
Right. Trading Fizer alone would get us no more than this. I understand it would take trading Jamal to make a splash. I'm still hopeful for the Q for Jamal trade proposed this weekend, the one that is probably BS. That I would do. Q brings a toughness and physicality to the position that Jamal can't, especially on the boards. I like Jamal, and I have my moments of being very enamored with him, but I still think he is the chip that I would be most comfortable trading due to the emergance of Hinrich.

The problems with adding more contracts on our books for next season are:

- we won't be able to protect everybody in the expansion draft
- we lose flexibility in the offseason if we have too many roster spots taken up

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

I dunno. Personally I'm not all that hot on the Q for Crawford idea... can't remember if you were or not. The only way I'd do that is if I was certain Jamal wasn't coming back, because truth be told, I think Jamal is better. I looked over the stats and stuff over the last couple of days, and using my rating system, Jamal rates out quite a bit higher (I'd rate him as a marginal star- a 2nd option on a bad team or third option on a good team. Q rates at starter quality... a pretty solid step down). Of course no stats can account for defense that well, but I tend to think that Jamal gets more blame because he's being asked to do more than he's capable of.

As it stands, he's asked to put the team on his back, and he's not that kind of player. Neither is Q. Q has the advantage, however, of playing with Brand and Maggette.

Not that Jaric is great, but he at least provides a semblence of a steady scoring and defensive option. Put him next to Crawford and maybe we don't look quite as overmatched. Right now we've got absolutely nothing to help us out at the 1, 2 or 3. Brunson is our only backup who can conceivably hit a 3. Dupree is a rookie forced into the breach. Gill is hurt. ERob and Pippen can't be relied on. Just having someone somewhat stable there will help and allow us to make more realistic judgements about what our other young players are capable of.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I love the idea of Ely for Fizer

I see Ely taking over AD's role and if it comes sooner rather than later it allows us to use AD's salary in a trade

Also it gives us many more options upfront if Eddy Curry is used as trade bait to land a stud 3

I mean you could play Chandler and Ely ( at C ) backed by Davis and Williams

Good trade if it goes down

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
It will be awhile before AD's salary can be used in a trade, unless a playoff team really needs some rebounding, like the Macs, and they are willing to swallow the contract.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I love the idea of having a three guard rotation consisting of three guys capable of playing point. I also like having two of the three guys be defensive players.

I love getting another big young body who could potentially form a big 3 man 4/5 rotation for years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gosh darn, I wish I had watched more Clippers games to get a feel for Ely. I just don't know much about him.

I do know he's a big body, longer than his 6-10 height makes him look. He's not going to be a towering center, but he will be tall for a PF. For example, his reach is 1/2 inch shorter than Milicic's, and 1/2 longer than Kaman's.

From the draft report, he weighted in at 240, but he's listed as 261. I wonder what he is really. Big is good enough for me. With that size, he's quite capable of playing the 5 spot.

Also from the draft info, he was NOT that good of an athlete. His biggest game this season was 15 points and 8 rebounds, and he's fallen out of the rotation. So it's not like we're talking Tim Duncan here.

Is he the backup 5 that we need? Marcus is a talented player, just maybe not the right player for a Paxson team. I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see the move made.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Here is the simple fact and I think DC would back me on this, Fizer has value cause of his contract. With the Clips and Phoenix firmly eyeing Kobe and cap space, Fizer looks good to them. I say package Fizer with all of our expiring deals and make something happen. It cant hurt

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
as I said in the other thread about the Jaric/Ely for Fizer trade, I agree...we might as well try to turn a lemon or two into some lemonade...Jaric and Ely aren't going to catapult us to the top, but Jaric could be a very nice fit and insurance in case we don't retain Jamal, and Ely is a solid big man who can play some 5.

I can't help but think...poor poor Fizer. After starting out behind Brand only to continually think he was gonna get more playing time as people came through town, we're concocting new ways to get him stuck behind Elton again in LA. :no:

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
I can't help but think...poor poor Fizer. After starting out behind Brand only to continually think he was gonna get more playing time as people came through town, we're concocting new ways to get him stuck behind Elton again in LA. :no:
This is truly the sad story. But he'll be a FA after this season, and some forward-hungry team will offer him a little more than the minimum, if that, and he'll take it, and get a few rings, and then be valuable enough for his final contract in the league in a few years.

Or he'll be a journeyman forever, once destined to be a very reliable starting PF for some team somewhere.

So, in the meantime... Jaric + Ely for Fizer? That does sound hot to me. We can eat Jeffries' salary next season and cut him, then use his roster spot for a long-ranger like Hubert Davis, Walt Williams, etc. We need that range, badly, but Jaric and Ely make up a great second unit. Ely did explode last year when Brand was injured... had a string of very decent games.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts