Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Sam Smith column on the "tough" eastern conference:

Maybe the Eastern Conference isn't as good as most believed it would be this season.

After all, the Bulls are coming off their dreaded November circus trip with the fourth-best record in the conference at 6-5.

And Eastern teams are just 36-48 vs. the West. That record is skewed by the combined 0-17 mark of Toronto, Atlanta and Charlotte.

The supposed East powers are showing cracks that suggest the Little Bulls That Could might climb higher than skeptics imagined in this Year of Our Bulls 1 A.E. (After Eddy Curry).

Let's take a look:

The Pistons aren't one of those showing cracks. The best team in the NBA plays the Bulls in Chicago on Saturday after Knicks coach Larry Brown's return to Detroit for a game on Friday. Not a bad time to catch them.
More on the east here: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...27smith,1,6235327.column?coll=cs-home-utility

At the end Sam gets Bulls specific while talking about other teams:

Bulls on roll

Bulls coach Scott Skiles doesn't have Stockton and Malone, but the pick-and-roll beat the Spurs and Rockets the last two games. They ran the play at least two dozen times against the Spurs without the big men jumping out. ... The Nuggets and Raptors said they might take a look at Shawn Kemp. Kemp said he has lost 55 pounds and wants to make a comeback. Now if he just loses 55 more ... With Channing Frye producing big-time, could it be time for the Knicks to go young and buy out Antonio Davis? Would the Bulls still be interested? They have been holding that last roster spot. ... Hey, what about former Bull (well, not quite yet) Tim Thomas for Ruben Patterson? The goofball Trail Blazer was suspended last week for an expletive-laced rant against coach Nate McMillan. Patterson can be a problem, but he plays hard and defends well. There's really not a good salary fit to equal Thomas' bloated $13,975,000 contract unless the Bulls want to take on Theo Ratliff in a bigger deal. ... Marquette's Travis Diener is hanging on with the Magic but probably is headed for the developmental league.

No Bull here

It seems less likely the Bulls will be interested in Peja Stojakovic. According to Sacramento media reports, later denied curtly by the players, Kings teammate Bonzi Wells upbraided Stojakovic for not playing against the Spurs last week because of stiffness in his hand. "Peja's different," Wells said. "Peja, if he feels like he can't play, and he don't want to hurt himself or hurt his career anymore, he's going to sit out. But I just met him, so I don't know exactly his pain tolerance. I'm going to go out there and lay it on the line and worry about it tomorrow." Stojakovic, whose supposed soft play led to disputes with Chris Webber and a trade request since rescinded, sat out again with what was listed as a sprained pinky.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey, what about former Bull (well, not quite yet) Tim Thomas for Ruben Patterson? The goofball Trail Blazer was suspended last week for an expletive-laced rant against coach Nate McMillan. Patterson can be a problem, but he plays hard and defends well. There's really not a good salary fit to equal Thomas' bloated $13,975,000 contract unless the Bulls want to take on Theo Ratliff in a bigger deal
Ruben Patterson? God damn it, how do the Chicago Bulls sportwriters get hired. It must be like the city jobs given out by Daley's affiliates.

"The question for teams with salary-cap money is whether they can be patient. They never are, but perhaps patience would serve the Bulls. Seattle's Rashard Lewis said he'll become a free agent after next season." Chicago Tribune
We won't have money in 07', and like Stoyakovich

"Peja's different," Wells said. "Peja, if he feels like he can't play, and he don't want to hurt himself or hurt his career anymore, he's going to sit out. But I just met him, so I don't know exactly his pain tolerance. I'm going to go out there and lay it on the line and worry about it tomorrow." Stojakovic, whose supposed soft play led to disputes with Chris Webber and a trade request since rescinded, sat out again with what was listed as a sprained pinky.
he plays our deepest and perhaps most set position.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts