Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
Joined
·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...1smith,1,4793531.column?coll=cs-bulls-utility

You always are supposed to marvel at LeBron James: the long, languid strides, the explosive jumping and showmanship, the commercials.

Maybe you can believe those TV commercials in which James makes the full-court jumpers after he made a big rainbow three-pointer to tie the Cleveland Cavaliers' game against the Bulls at the end of regulation.

Of course, there also are the now-regular exploits of the Amazing Ben, the new superhero who can launch shots over the biggest, widest, tallest men in the world with seeming ease. Watch him scale big centers in a single bound.
With all the flamboyant play in the Bulls' 102-90 overtime victory over the Cavs though, the most fun was watching Andres Nocioni treat James like he was … well … just another guy.

Even though the Argentine doesn't speak English well, you figure he has heard of James and probably has seen his picture on TV.

But Nocioni's lack of respect was impressive.

Perhaps the best moment came late in the fourth quarter as the Cavs strained to get back in a game the Bulls pretty much controlled up to that point. James turned to referee Jess Kersey and showed him the string on the front of his basketball pants almost coming down the back.

Yes, Nocioni seemed literally to be in James' shorts.

"He was doing that all night," James said. "There's no humor in [it]."
Yes, James did hit that tying shot, but he had missed 3 of 4 free throws just before and soon would be putting up his third air ball of the game.

No doubt, Nocioni's play had a lot to do with that.
The Cavs had more talent on the floor, at least according to the press clippings and experts. They had James, All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Drew Gooden, who led all scorers with 27.

Nocioni played like he didn't know any of them. Even the Bulls fluent in English played like that. They always seem to.

No one would suggest James was afraid or cowered, but Nocioni seemed to make him back off to start the game with one field goal and three points in the first quarter.

"He does a lot of grabbing and holding and scratching, everything to try to irritate me," James said. "He did a good job fighting me and getting help from his back line. And you have to give someone credit for that. It can get frustrating when you don't get some calls you deserve, so you have to keep fighting."

Nocioni did. Lacking the speed and quickness of James, he nevertheless picked up James beyond the three-point line. He kept a hand in his face, crouching like a cat and leaping out at James with an annoying hand in his face. Wherever James went—over screens, into the post—Nocioni was there, pushing and denying position, forcing James out for jump shot after jump shot, where he is least dangerous.

It was a joy to watch.
Man, Sammy is really turning into a Bron Bron Hata! First the preps to pro article, now this dis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,287 Posts
Perhaps we should talk to Lebron about his offensive fouls that didn't get called on nearly every play. Lebron was being allowed to just run over players. Is it really Nocioni's fault that Lebron is a sissy, and can't man up to Nocioni, a true basketball player, and not a ref made superstar like himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
sloth said:
Perhaps we should talk to Lebron about his offensive fouls that didn't get called on nearly every play. Lebron was being allowed to just run over players. Is it really Nocioni's fault that Lebron is a sissy, and can't man up to Nocioni, a true basketball player, and not a ref made superstar like himself.
Yeah. He threw a couple of elbows and didn't even get called for it. Big props to Noc. He played very good def on LeBron.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Noc played great defense.
But this is what I was telling Sir Patchwork the other day about how in general there is a complete lack of respect by Chicago fans for James. I know some of you are still bitter that the lottery balls didn't fall our way, but seriously, get over it.

And I don't know where Sam got the line that the Cavs were considered more talented than the Bulls. Any experts tossing that **** are hardly experts. The Bulls are much deeper. Look at bench points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Normally I would be all over a Nocioni article. Normally....

But what is with the 'not fluent in English' crap? As if having a mastery of the English language has any correlation with how one plays basketball or how much respect Noch gives his opponents. That a load of BS Mr. Smith, shame on you.

:curse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
futuristxen said:
Noc played great defense.
But this is what I was telling Sir Patchwork the other day about how in general there is a complete lack of respect by Chicago fans for James. I know some of you are still bitter that the lottery balls didn't fall our way, but seriously, get over it.

And I don't know where Sam got the line that the Cavs were considered more talented than the Bulls. Any experts tossing that **** are hardly experts. The Bulls are much deeper. Look at bench points.
You're full of it. Why should we give James any more respect than any of the other stars in this league? We are not bitter about not getting James. Sure, it would of been nice but lets get real for a second. We're happy with the way our team is currently set up and actually performing better than the Cavs so what exactly are we bitter about? I think Cavs fans dislike the Bulls fans because Jordan rocked your chances of your team becoming champions when you had a good team. Bitter about what? We had arguably the best player ever in the NBA to play for us.
 

·
BAIT
Joined
·
12,946 Posts
YearofDaBulls said:
You're full of it. Why should we give James any more respect than any of the other stars in this league? We are not bitter about not getting James. Sure, it would of been nice but lets get real for a second. We're happy with the way our team is currently set up and actually performing better than the Cavs so what exactly are we bitter about? I think Cavs fans dislike the Bulls fans because Jordan rocked your chances of your team becoming champions when you had a good team. Bitter about what? We had arguably the best player ever in the NBA to play for us.
Futuristxen is a Bulls fan.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Hustle said:
I was surprised to see James get so frustrated, he was playing way out of his element
Noce will do that for you. For ever elbow we saw James throw at Noce, Noce got away with tons of bumps off the ball. He was bumping, frustrating James all night. Add in that James couldn't get his jumpshot going and you could really see Noce got into his head. I mean, just look at the free throw shooting where Noce isn't even on him. He was missing those badly, and if you watched he would miss the first and then focus and make the second. He just was not focusing last night. And I think that's almost entirely due to Noce.

I think this started with the olympics honestly.

Yearofdabulls, it's not even about giving respect. It's about not disrespecting every player that comes in here afterwards. It's not good sportsmanship. And it makes non-bulls fans think poorly of us. It's one thing to say we played better and yada yada. But it's another to be like "Lebron is a sissy". Ray Allen is a "whiny *****". Ect. Ect.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,415 Posts
futuristxen said:
Ray Allen is a "whiny *****". Ect. Ect.
But Ray Allen IS whiny.

It's dumb to rag on a guy just b/c we get a win. We've had lots of losing here, and it's not time to talk yet, though I understand why it feels good. But when a guy does run his mouth and whine or talk trash, then it's perfectly appropriate to call him on it.
 

·
BAIT
Joined
·
12,946 Posts
jnrjr79 said:
But Ray Allen IS whiny.

It's dumb to rag on a guy just b/c we get a win. We've had lots of losing here, and it's not time to talk yet, though I understand why it feels good. But when a guy does run his mouth and whine or talk trash, then it's perfectly appropriate to call him on it.
That's the thing though. Lebron didn't even talk trash. He complained a bit, but then he even acknowledged Nocioni's tough defense and gave him credit for it.

Most likely, we're gonna have to get used to players complaining about Nocioni. Cause he is a pesky defender. But I'm glad we have him, you take the good with the bad.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top