Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Sam Smith proposes trading for Brian Grant

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  ScottVdub 
#1 ·
>>Acquire Miami Heat center/forward Brian Grant for a package including Eddie Robinson, Jamal Crawford and Dalibor Bagaric. To equalize salaries, perhaps the Bulls add another player (Marcus Fizer?) and get back a first-round draft pick.<<

*Link*

I think this could be a beneficial trade.

#2 ·
Originally posted by <b>Isle</b>!
>>Acquire Miami Heat center/forward Brian Grant for a package including Eddie Robinson, Jamal Crawford and Dalibor Bagaric. To equalize salaries, perhaps the Bulls add another player (Marcus Fizer?) and get back a first-round draft pick.<<

*Link*

I think this could be a beneficial trade.

Typical Smith.
That trade is awful.

Next.

:rbanana:

#3 ·
I think the idea is right

But the player combo is off

Marcus Camby should be the target and Fizer /Crawford is the package

We do have to consolidate - that is just a fact

An 8 man rotation of :

Curry
Camby
Marshall
Rose
Jay

with

Tyson
ERob
Hassell

Reserves

Bagaric
Blount
Baxter
Mason
Hoiberg
Brunson

is a playoff lock and possibly a 2nd round playoff team in the East

I would even go as far to say it is an Eastern Conference contender inside 2 seasons

Downside

Camby , ERob and Marshall - its a health risk based on historical evidence

Upside

We have the depth to cover it - although if ERob and Marshall both go down it puts bigger minutes on Jalen,Jay , Trent and Roger

Imagine a fastbreaking line up of Jay, Trent, ERob, Camby and Tyson . Dang!

The deal

Marcus Camby + 2004 1st round pick for Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford.

#4 ·
Yuck.

Defense and rebounding needed. 50 million in guaranteed money for a mediocre player through 2006-7 definitely not.

VD

#5 ·
Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!
I think the idea is right

But the player combo is off

Marcus Camby should be the target and Fizer /Crawford is the package

Marcus Camby + 2004 1st round pick for Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford.
While we are at it, why not Trent and Tyson for Big Country?
Or Curry and JWill for Penny?

You can't trade 2 youngsters for a washed up, often-injured former star... you.... you just can't!

Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!
We do have to consolidate - that is just a fact
Suit yourself. I think being 2 deep at every position is a luxury there is no hurry to give up on...

#6 ·
Cartwright talked a little bit about a 10 man rotation. You do not win in the NBA with a steady 10 man rotation. I agree with FJ that Camby is a much better fit. The Bulls are not going to be players in FA any time soon. Their roster is pretty much set outside of a deal like that, and incremental tweaks in the offseason. The Nuggets aren't ready to start trying to extricate themselves from the mud yet, but the Bulls are. Cambu wants out. I think he would be an asset to the Bulls. I think, however, he is worth Crawford and Fizer alone, no need to throw in a 1st rounder with him for those 2.

#7 ·
Too many cooks in the kitchen y'know?

Part of the problem is that fans look at individuals and not at team structure and balance

That is why "allstar" teams never work and why Team USA got spanked this summer

Imagine the outrage if everyone's favourite dawg was not on board

Smith is right where you have starter talent or potential 10 deep and then your bits and pieces players get further pushed down the list - it makes for an unhappy dressing room

You don't need two deep at every position either - that's not how you win championship basketball - ask the Blazers

What you need are two possibly 3 main bananas and a supporting cast that complements.

That's how we won 6 championships afterall rather than have the chooks scratch around in the foulyard pretending they were Roosters

#8 ·
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
Cartwright talked a little bit about a 10 man rotation. You do not win in the NBA with a steady 10 man rotation. I agree with FJ that Camby is a much better fit. The Bulls are not going to be players in FA any time soon. Their roster is pretty much set outside of a deal like that, and incremental tweaks in the offseason. The Nuggets aren't ready to start trying to extricate themselves from the mud yet, but the Bulls are. Cambu wants out. I think he would be an asset to the Bulls. I think, however, he is worth Crawford and Fizer alone, no need to throw in a 1st rounder with him for those 2.
Well outside of the issue of talent for talent and leaving that to the side , we cleanse around $7M off the Nugz payroll next summer by taking Camby - if they passed on Fiz and Craw's options giving them the opportunity to renounce and have the lowest payroll base next summer at around $15M - and they would have a 2003 lottery pick , Skita, Hilario, Harvey, Posey , Yarbrough , Satterfield tied up . They could really make some noise in free agency and get better in a pretty big hurry . I really like where Kiki has positioned the Nugz and I love the draft he had in picking up Hilario and Skita

Hilario in particular is going to surprise a lot of people .

He can play and he can play now

#9 ·
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
When i read FJ proposal, thats what i thought also BCH. Crawford and Fizer would be enough. This would give Denver more youth. Also would allow them to be in the running for James. Allows Crawford and Fizer more playing time.

With Camby we get defense. If healthy we get a very good player. His contract is a bargain!! With Denver out west, he won't stay healthy!!

Here, he can play C or pf. I like this deal much more than the BG deal.

#10 ·
Much of the stuff Sam Smith comes up with is garbage. Half his articles are fantasy trades he invents. He should be posting those in a chat forum, not in a newspaper column.

We do not need yet another power forward, especially one who is getting paid 15 million next year. 12 pts and 8 rebs a game for 15 million?

Playing him at center is stupid as well. If you were looking for a last piece of the puzzle on a championship team and decided to bring in Grant for some younger guys then fine. Not on this team, where he would make no difference. The Miami Heat had Grant and Alonzo last year and didn't make the damn playoffs.

Trading Fizer, Crawford, Robinson, and Bagaric for only Grant is awful. Grant simply isn't that good.

And if you trade 4 guys for 1 you all of a sudden have to figure out how to fill the vacancies on your roster. Tough to do so with any quality this late in the game.

Smith needs to stop writing stupid fantasy and begin writing about issues of concern. He knows, you know, and I know Krause is not going to do that trade.

#11 ·
At least one can say about Camby that, when healthy, he's a difference making player. His D and rebounding were what propelled the Knicks to the finals a couple years ago, and even last year they were at least ok until he went down.

Grant on the other hand, has made no appreciable difference anywhere. Also, his contract is worse in both overall amount and number of years. No way do I want him.

#12 ·
Originally posted by <b>sinkingship</b>!
Much of the stuff Sam Smith comes up with is garbage. Half his articles are fantasy trades he invents. He should be posting those in a chat forum, not in a newspaper column.

We do not need yet another power forward, especially one who is getting paid 15 million next year. 12 pts and 8 rebs a game for 15 million?

Playing him at center is stupid as well. If you were looking for a last piece of the puzzle on a championship team and decided to bring in Grant for some younger guys then fine. Not on this team, where he would make no difference. The Miami Heat had Grant and Alonzo last year and didn't make the damn playoffs.

Trading Fizer, Crawford, Robinson, and Bagaric for only Grant is awful. Grant simply isn't that good.

And if you trade 4 guys for 1 you all of a sudden have to figure out how to fill the vacancies on your roster. Tough to do so with any quality this late in the game.

Smith needs to stop writing stupid fantasy and begin writing about issues of concern. He knows, you know, and I know Krause is not going to do that trade.
Good post, Sinking Ship. I agree w/ everything you said. I am not a Brian Grant fan, especially with his contract. We could get somebody better with a cheaper contract for what we're giving up.

#13 ·
When i think of Grant, i see Fizer with a little better defense. Smiths trade idea is way too much. I'm not saying that the players in the trade are all that. I am saying that FJs trade idea suits me a lot better than Smiths idea.

Also with us Camby will have back up. At NY he was pretty much all they had in the middle. Even when longley was there. Luc was hurt. Here, we have a lot of people that can help ease the load off of his shoulders. Can you imagine seeing Camby and chandler on defense together? Oh well enough dreaming!! Shame on you FJ for getting my hopes up!! :laugh:

#14 ·
I'd rather have Bo Outlaw, Elden Campbell, the dude in Cleveland with the bad feet (Ilguskis?), or Jarron Collins. Camby would be good, too.

(I realize these guys aren't available but if you're giving up half the roster you might be able to get something in return.)

But a high priced power forward playing out of position at center? Ewwwwwwww.

Another thing - Smith says it would be nice to get Robinson's contract off the books but he wants to replace it with a contract nearly double in size? For someone who will eventually be a back-up to Tyson and Eddy? Very logical.

Oh wait - it's not logical at all.

If he thinks Tyson and Eddy shouldn't start then you start Marshall at PF and Robinson at SF.

#15 ·
I wouldn't mind the trade, but I am a firm believer that Eddie Jones would help this team more.

I do agree that with all the young talent we have, that by the trading deadline we should trade for a talented veteran. I don't like not giving Curry and Chandler at least 30mpg this year though.

#16 ·
This is the stupidest trade proposed in the Chicago media has ever proposed. Grant will make 15 MILLION IN 2006-2007!! Not only do we not get fair value (not even close) we take on a massively overpaid player who will be signed for longer than anyone else currently on the team except Jalen. I don't know what Smith was thinking when he dreamed up this one.

#18 ·
Originally posted by <b>Louie</b>!
I don't know what Smith was thinking when he dreamed up this one.
I tend to think he wasn't thinking at all.

I dunno, but there seem to be any number of guys I'd prefer over Grant.

Camby - Much discussed.

Bateer - Not much discussed, but apparently Detroit doesn't want him. Perhaps we give up a second rounder for him (do we have a trade exception we could use for this? How would that work?).

Wang - Dallas is looking for a sign and trade after the Clips sign him to an offer sheet... how about Fizer for Wang?

#20 ·
Originally posted by <b>Bighead734</b>!
Fizer for Wang???

I would want more for Fizer. He's underrated.
Maybe, but apparently we offered Fizer in a sign and trade deal for Marshall. Wang's supposedly soft, but also worked hard to improve his D and rebounding. He's 7'1 and can shoot the 3 and pass. Fizer is 6'9 (at least, that's what he's listed as, although apparently he's only 6'7) and can't shoot the 3 or pass worth a damn.

It's not so much that I think Fizer is a worse player, I just don't think he's a very good fit for the Bulls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.