Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow that was surpising. sampson left OU is somewhat supring to me, but at least he is now at a basketball school

·
Registered
188 Posts
Isn't he leaving them with at least two years probation, scholarship reductions, (OU's self-imposed penalties...still waiting to hear if the ncaa will add more) etc. due to over 550 violations of ncaa recruiting rules? Plus, with the patheticly low graduation rate for his players I'm stunned Indiana would consider hiring the guy....heck, even Arizona State wouldn't touch him.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The probation will follow him. Indiana wouldn't have hired him if the probation was gonna hurt him. So the violations aren't that serious because that would have kept Indiana from hiring him. Remember new laws allow for the violations to follow the coach. Graduation rates mean nothing. Those things shouldn't exist.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So...OU's self-imposed ban and scholarship reduction and frozen pay grade will follow him to IU.....or whatever the NCAA decides to impose for what they have already called, "Major violations" will apply to Indiana and OU will get off scott free?

This hire seems to prove Indiana's administration is pretty stupid. They are willing to go through whatever they have to go through to make sure they keep from recognizing the excellence displayed during 29 years of Coach Knight's tenure and build on that for their future.

Their fan base is still divided between those that want IU to keep a connection to those years and those that want to break free from the Knight legacy. The IU administration had a chance to make a hire that might be able to re-unite their fanbase by picking someone who has displayed a priority on educating players, a priority on abiding by the rules, and still winning.....someone that could say, we will honor the history of this program as a squeaky clean, yet winning program.

Instead they hire a good coach who made his best run in the middle of blatant cheating. Indiana fans have always taken great pride in the fact they could win, win big, AND do it without cheating. This hire will do nothing to heal that fanbase and in fact will divide it further into three segments now...the Knight-legacy folks, the "IU way" folks, and the "We want to be like everyone else" folks.

Former IU players have already stated they're stunned by this hire....one past all-american player went so far as to say Sampson is the exact type of guy IU doesn't need and he wouldn't have hired Sampson to coach his girl's jr high or grade school team. It's almost as if IU wants to start over and create an entirely new tradition by burning the bridge to the tradition of the past.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think Indiana hiring him pretty much says that the violations aren't anymore then they are. But I don't think Indiana can do the same thing with the money because that's a University thing. But I think the scholarship and recruting restrictions will still be given to Kelvin. It'll be with both OU and IU. If the violations were that serious then Indiana wouldnt' making this hire.

I think after year 1 they'll fall in love with him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.