Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the facts about Sani. If you don't want to read the whole thing here's the main info: Nobody knows the exact Dob of Tahirou (who himself is not sure about it). But he is definitively born in 1985, and not 1982 or 1980, as some people mention.

Sorry to answer late to a question about his REAL Dob. Well, what I am writing here is the truth, at least the truth delivered by his staff and some doctors.

So Sani came in France and blew everything, like The Goods mentionned with 50 rebs-game, 80 and 78 pts-game, 17 blks-game. He played for Euro age-category "" Cadets"" for young men between 13 and 15 (in 1998). Because of his performances, his height his body development, there were strong questions about his real age, as like a lot of African people, their Identity papers are kinda of changing... [mainly because of French laws for being considered French citizen and have some benefits of the citizenship statute. In short words: come to France before 16 and you are considered French, so you can not be ejected to yoour former nation.]

Some he was taken to an nearby-hospital and got a X-ray from his wrist. It's the surest way to credit someone's age. And the analysis of his wrist showed that he was born in 1985, but the method is only 98% sure ( ???, some say he is one of the 2% guy, so the question about his age are standing there).

Sani now plays for BCM Gravelines "Espoirs" team (third with23-7 record) with guys born mostly in 1983 and 1982. His stats are nice 6.9rebs/10.8 pts (51.2%)/1.2 blks in 22min.

Sani is definitively a 1985 guy, meaning he can be drafted in 2007. For the moment he plans to stay in France, in gravelins, where the community has wellcomed him well, even before his basketball talents exploded.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Originally posted by <b>starbonis</b>!
Sani is definitively a 1985 guy, meaning he can be drafted in 2007.
If he declares himself eligible early, he can already be drafted in 2004.
For the moment he plans to stay in France, in gravelins ...
Doesn't he want to attend college in US? I think that's the only reason why he is still not playing pro (like e.g. Schortsianitis, who is in the same age).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's quite rare to start a pro career in europe before 18. The few who have done it (Peja, Danilovic, Dodiroga and my god Sabonis at the age of 16) were already monsters. Don't forget that Sani doesn't play organized ball for a long time.
Nowadays, even the best player don't have an impact at this age (see recently Dirk, Sikha) in their clubs. Maybe that Sani will have a contract next year or in a couple of year.
There are a lot of contracts possibilities for young men, without being considered pro by NCAA + the best talented Euro don't have to go to the NCAA to be noticed, because international scouting has become really large.

In Sani's case, there is also a trouble concerning his nationality. For the moment he is still considered as a Malian citizen, which means that if he has a pro contract , his team will only have one contract left for a non-Bosman A player ( meanig an Yu, Lit or Us player).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nowadays, even the best player don't have an impact at this age (see recently Dirk, Sikha) in their clubs.
Dirk lead his team (DJK Würzburg X-Rays) from 2nd to 1st division of German BBL. I think that's an impact.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Starbonis
You seem to have a pretty good knowledge of French bball. Do you know anything about a guy called Julien Winterstein (born in 1980), I've heard he's got mad skills and is one of the best prospect in the country. He didn't get drafted though, so I wonder where he'll end playing next season:grinning:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure Dirk helped raised Wurzburg to D1....in germany, the year they decide to make their first division growing from 16 to 18 clubs, making 4 ball teams raising.

Considering that guy julien Winterstein. It's a shame he went unnoticed.....I mean he is a mix between Remi Rippert/ Fred Domon with a smart touch of Robert Reisenbuchler and the ill handling of Fabien Dubiez with the athlecism of Germain Castano. He has Giga Percevault's upside with a Weissler killing spirit.

Unfortunately he was thrown out of the Insep because of his attitude problems (smoking, not hitting the weights, making marxist comments about basketball). Looking at his bio, it all starts in his familly, where he didn't like to be regularly smoked by his brother during pick-up games in their backyard. And, if what the french media told is true, he then usually went mad at his mother making acid responses to her request.

Just like Ronnie Fields, he is now trying to rebuild his game in a second range country (maybe UK, Cyprus or San Marino). It's hard to find infos about him on websites, but a friend of mine just said he was heavily recruited by university of (Marlenheim) St Joseph's .

Definitively a guy to watch in the free-agent waters.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just another word about JWinterstein: an anonymous scout labelled him as the 6"0 combo forward he ever seen in his life. That's the same guy who sold Franck Butter to Limoges as the biggest thing in Europe behind Arvydas Sabonis

·
Registered
737 Posts
Judging by the amount of French legends you just quoted, that dude sure must be good:yes: (I especially liked the Robert Reisenbuchler comparison :D )

About his attitude problems: French media is generally unfair (acid responses to his mother??? Must be another rumor spread by the infamous Thierry Bretagne)

By the way, I would take Franck Butter ober Sabas any day, just for his haircut:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Percevault's haircut is also really.....fresh. Anyway the Winterstein Familly tries to look like the Verove's or the old-fashion Gadou. Not spectacular but hard-workind, dedicated, and sometimes playing dirty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
6'8 Jr WF Tahirou Sani, who resides in Douai, France, will move to Georgia in order to be eligible according to NCAA rules, to play with Nike Georgia Elite. SANI, who is on the NBA radar screen, to follow in the footsteps of Tony Parker, who played in France before making a rookie impact in the NBA, will join his fellow Mali countryman, and NBA high school target, 6'10 Jr PF Mohamed Tangara. Team Georgia is building for the rival game of the century with the Atlanta Celtics. (from www.GeorgiaEliteMagazine.com)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's what you call (if you are Us resident) AUUU ball. Well, in my opinion he will go back to France...the only reason why he won't is if there are others Malian people in his future University.

Sani's stats at the junior national Championship: 18.7 pts ( on 68.9 shooting-5th) 12.3 rbs (2nd to Malick Badiane 15 per), 1.2 blk. Ranked first at the evaluation with 25.7pts, the second is far behind with 21.2, Malick Badiane is third with 18.8pts.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think it's what you call (if you are Us resident) AUUU ball. Well, in my opinion he will go back to France...the only reason why he won't is if there are others Malian people in his future University.
I think I repeat oneself. Are there any rumors about "his future University"?
Sani's stats at the junior national Championship: 18.7 pts ( on 68.9 shooting-5th) 12.3 rbs (2nd to Malick Badiane 15 per), 1.2 blk. Ranked first at the evaluation with 25.7pts, the second is far behind with 21.2, Malick Badiane is third with 18.8pts.
What "junior national Championship" are you talking about?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am talking about the Africa Junior Tournament held in Egypt with Nigeria (first) Angola, Malia, Algeria
Ivoiry Caost, egypt, Senegal (Badiane team)...

Is it real that Badiane plays for Franckfurter Skyliners, in their second team

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No university for Sani in my knowledge, but he is strongly recruited by the ACC great NCarolina + Georgetown

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I am talking about the Africa Junior Tournament held in Egypt with Nigeria (first) Angola, Malia, Algeria
Ivoiry Caost, egypt, Senegal (Badiane team)...
Is there an official website of this tournament?
The city named Frankfurt :grinning:. But Badiane didn't play there. He signed with TV Langen junior team, but he arrived in April (trading deadline is in february). So he couldn't play for them, and that's why he's still amateur.
Badiane will attend a High School in the US 2002/2003, likely Winchendon School.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've found his real DOB. It's written on his Telebasket profile. He was born on November 2nd in 1985.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I don't know if it's the only the 2nd team, but according to his Eurobasket profile he'll join the Skyliners in 2002-03.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts