Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Jaffie. The Flyers won. Get over it.
I know. I apologize.

Much of the poor sportsmanship in my post is that I am a Flyer fan.

A lot of my frustration with the officiating is the inconsistency from game to game, and the inconsistency of calls in the games.

The Flyers go to SLU and it’s an absolute knife fight. SLU almost missed more FT’s than Dayton shot. Two UD starters foul out and Toppin and Landers had four, and a technical is called.

The Flyers and Bonnies played a fairly clean with 25 fouls called and where UD is called for more than Bona.

VCU comes to the Arena and there is a situation where the rough play results in two players on the floor and two technicals. VCU ended up with 3 technicals and its best player fouling out.

Last night against UR a ref calls that foul against Landers - a call that he will never be able to defend - and then calls a technical against Grant. A five point turnaround for UR and a lost possession for UD at the end of an important game.

The Flyers play three games out of their last four with first place at stake and the officials call six technical fouls and put important players on the bench. It’s unconscionable that the league has officials that are not up for the level of play / intensity of these games.

As far as JP’s comment .. no way that it’s better for the conference for a team ranked 63rd to beat a team ranked 5th. The conference needs the team ranked 5th to win out (I would say this even if Xavier was the team ranked 5th) to maintain its spot on the 2/3 seed line. The exception being the finals of the conference tournament maybe.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
And I disagree on your assessment. It would be great if UD was ranked Number one because they won out and Gonzaga, SDSU et all slipped up.

HOWEVER, Dayton is in the dance and the difference between a 1, 2, 3, 4 seed for their Final Four chances is basically nil (Especially THIS SEASON).

While the difference between Richmond's place on the at-large board with a win over UD vs without it, is probably worth $1.6 million bucks.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
While the difference between Richmond's place on the at-large board with a win over UD vs without it, is probably worth $1.6 million bucks.
You want us on the at-large board? Then don’t drop to 136, then win with OSun on 2/22...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
And I disagree on your assessment. It would be great if UD was ranked Number one because they won out and Gonzaga, SDSU et all slipped up.

HOWEVER, Dayton is in the dance and the difference between a 1, 2, 3, 4 seed for their Final Four chances is basically nil (Especially THIS SEASON).

I think you’re correct if we were a member of the ACC. UD is ranked 5th in today’s NET but I don’t presume to believe that we are viewed the same as a P5 team with that ranking.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It's almost incomprehensible after reading that analysis to know that UD shot 9 more foul shots than the Spiders.
ESPN must have screwed up their box score.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It's almost incomprehensible after reading that analysis to know that UD shot 9 more foul shots than the Spiders.
ESPN must have screwed up their box score.
No ESPN’s boxscore has the Flyers shooting nine more FT but my point was that a really bad call by the officials had a big impact on the score at the end of the game.

Note that ESPN’s boxscore has both teams with 18 fouls, and Paul, there were six fouls called against UR in the last minute of the game.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Jaf, my point is you need to reserve griping about the refs, or any other item on the list, for when your team ends up losing. When you've got the conference's top team, get a Q1 win on the road...just be happy.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Jaf, my point is you need to reserve griping about the refs, or any other item on the list, for when your team ends up losing. When you've got the conference's top team, get a Q1 win on the road...just be happy.
I wasn’t griping about the number of calls, calls not made, missed over the backs etc. In my opinion the quality of officiating is not at the level of the play and intensity of many of the games in this league.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I think you’re correct if we were a member of the ACC. UD is ranked 5th in today’s NET but I don’t presume to believe that we are viewed the same as a P5 team with that ranking.
I'm just saying that UD losing to an at-large candidate in conference play is not going to drop UD very many seed lines, if at all. All the other top teams from P5 schools are going to play each other and lose some games. UD, Gonzaga, SDSU... they're going to be 18-0, 17-0, 16-0; or 16-0, 15-1, 14-2 in GU's case.

And the statistical advantage of UD being a seed line higher is virtually nil, especially this season where there's no dominate teams. They seed 1-2-3-4 more by GEOGRAPHY than actual S-curve now anyway. We know Gonzaga is going to be a 1/2 seed, in Spokane. SDSU is going to be a 1/2 seed, in Sacramento. Kansas is going to be a 1/2 seed in Omaha or St. Louis. Baylor will get the other site; Duke is going to be a 1/2 seed in Greensboro. Seton Hall or Nova is going to Albany as a 2/3 seed. Dayton is going to play in Cleveland, either as a 2 seed or 3 seed, and who's in their bracket isn't going to based on "S-Curve and who deserves it" but where to slot teams based on conference/geography.

So, if UD going 18-0 and getting a 2 seed in Cleveland and facing 3 Seed Louisville in the Sweet 16.... or UD going 17-1 and getting a 3 seed in Cleveland and facing 2 seed Louisville in the Sweet 16 (while Richmond gets a bid) is just "which jersey you wear when you beat Louisville" and you can't control which 1 seed you face by just winning out anyway. So get Richmond in the dance, get us more bids and more money, and we're better off.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm just saying that UD losing to an at-large candidate in conference play is not going to drop UD very many seed lines, if at all. All the other top teams from P5 schools are going to play each other and lose some games. UD, Gonzaga, SDSU... they're going to be 18-0, 17-0, 16-0; or 16-0, 15-1, 14-2 in GU's case.

And the statistical advantage of UD being a seed line higher is virtually nil, especially this season where there's no dominate teams. They seed 1-2-3-4 more by GEOGRAPHY than actual S-curve now anyway. We know Gonzaga is going to be a 1/2 seed, in Spokane. SDSU is going to be a 1/2 seed, in Sacramento. Kansas is going to be a 1/2 seed in Omaha or St. Louis. Baylor will get the other site; Duke is going to be a 1/2 seed in Greensboro. Seton Hall or Nova is going to Albany as a 2/3 seed. Dayton is going to play in Cleveland, either as a 2 seed or 3 seed, and who's in their bracket isn't going to based on "S-Curve and who deserves it" but where to slot teams based on conference/geography.

So, if UD going 18-0 and getting a 2 seed in Cleveland and facing 3 Seed Louisville in the Sweet 16.... or UD going 17-1 and getting a 3 seed in Cleveland and facing 2 seed Louisville in the Sweet 16 (while Richmond gets a bid) is just "which jersey you wear when you beat Louisville" and you can't control which 1 seed you face by just winning out anyway. So get Richmond in the dance, get us more bids and more money, and we're better off.
You have more confidence in the committee than me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
We have all learned to never trust the committee but last year was pretty positive so I am hoping this year is the same

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Ace ... no need to be a dick.

I tell my friends that they are beings dicks, so don’t take it the wrong way ... or do, I don’t care
I don’t take any of this that seriously and most things I say are in jest and meant in good fun. No joke though, I almost preemptively included the EYOA or some version of it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts