Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If I ever get to Olean (which is not pronounced by the way as I thought it was), being from South Carolina, I'm hiring a Sherpa as soon as I cross the NY state line. And I'm making a beeline for 3rd base...may not make it to the Reilly Center for tip off.
You'll probably want the sherpa as soon as you hit PA. There is some rough terrain going up 15

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
O'-lee-ann, not O'-lee-un nor O'-lee-inn. And certainly not O'-leen, though interestingly there used to be a bowling alley in town named the Bowlean, making a play on the city's name. Inexplicably, 70% of the locals pronounced it Bowl-leen.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
O'-lee-ann, not O'-lee-un nor O'-lee-inn. And certainly not O'-leen, there used to be a bowling alley in town named the Bowlean, making a play on the city's name. Inexplicably, 70% of the locals pronounced it Bowl-leen.
Always have a space!

Ol Eean

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad to finally hear it, I've been saying O-lee-in. I wouldn't have expected the emphasis on the ann part in NY. Seems to give it a bit of a twang.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I meant 'ann' vs. 'inn'. But really, I feel like we've taken too much time on this. Can we get back to figuring out if Paul is going to 3rd base or the Knights of Columbus?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
That's for damns sure...3rd base. Wanna see what it looks like.

Also, if you said Bowl-lee-ann, the country music folks down here would think you were trying to fulfill some Bonnies' fantasies.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

Also, if you said Bowl-lee-ann, the country music folks down here would think you were trying to fulfill some Bonnies' fantasies.
So apparently O-lean isn't the sister of Jolene...

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I meant 'ann' vs. 'inn'. But really, I feel like we've taken too much time on this. Can we get back to figuring out if Paul is going to 3rd base or the Knights of Columbus?
I say "un" but that is only because of my southern drawl.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
O'-lee-ann, not O'-lee-un nor O'-lee-inn. And certainly not O'-leen, though interestingly there used to be a bowling alley in town named the Bowlean, making a play on the city's name. Inexplicably, 70% of the locals pronounced it Bowl-leen.
Speaks volumes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

So, uh Paul. If I remember correctly, you have kids, right?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts