Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Hold on here ... I thought that SBU is in St. Bonaventure, NY?
I think it technically is since it has its own post office and your address on campus is St Bonaventure, NY. However, it is in the town of Allegany.
Don't ask why NY state does this, or ask for any of it to make sense, but St. Bonaventure is a hamlet in the town of Allegany. They have their own PO, but you only get mail at St. Bonaventure, NY if you have a PO box or address on campus. Everyone else within the hamlet limits would have an Allegany address. There is also the village of Allegany, fully inside the town of Allegany, and they also have Allegany addresses. On the eastern border of the St. Bonaventure hamlet (and town of Allegany) is the city of Olean, which is inside the town of Olean.

So in the strictest sense of locales, saying SBU is in St. Bonaventure, NY is correct. It is also correct to say it's in Allegany, but it is not correct to say it is in Olean. But anyone with common sense and no axe to grind considers SBU to be in "greater" Olean. Or "Olean metro".. roll eyes now.

My head hurts and you just lost a minute of your life you will never get back. But you do have more useless information packed into that skull of yours, Jaffie.

·
Piker
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I want to know about Salamanca and if it is named after Hector from Breaking Bad.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I want to know about Salamanca and if it is named after Hector from Breaking Bad.
Sorry, it is not:

"Salamanca is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The population was 481 at the 2010 census.[3] The name is from a major Spanish investor in a local railroad, José de Salamanca y Mayol, Marquis of Salamanca."

I hope everyone is taking notes on their Southern Tier geography. There will be a quiz on Friday.

·
Piker
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
03 beat me to it.

Salamanca is another NY geographical cluster----. The village of Salamanca is wholly contained by the Allegany Indian Reservation. The town of Salamanca is a very disjointed small area that sourrounds, but legally does not contain the village of Salamanca. It is broken into 3 areas by the village and the reservation. If you can figure out Salamanca, you'll do just fine on the quiz.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It's got nothing to do with the state, BI. "St. Bonaventure, NY" is a Census Designated Place of the Federal government, largely if not entirely because it has its own post office.

Excellent summary, though. The only other nit I will pick is that while the City of Olean is "inside" the town in a geographic sense, they are independent entities. Incorporated cities in NYS are all independent from any surrounding local authorities. Interestingly, incorporated villages are not. Thus, the Village of Allegany is a constituent part of the Town of Allegany but the City of Olean is not a constituent part of the Town of Olean.

And I still say that paul has no chance of the easy pickup at the 3rd Base.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
There are two keys to all of this important information. First, remember that Olean metro is pronounced Oh-lee-ann Met-row. And, there is a Kalamanka family from Salamanca. Oh, and there were games on Saturday 2/22.

·
Piker
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
There are two keys to all of this important information. First, remember that Olean metro is pronounced Oh-lee-ann Met-row. And, there is a Kalamanka family from Salamanca. Oh, and there were games on Saturday 2/22.
I was stopped for a U turn in upstate NY once. I have a real problem with a state that does not allow U turns.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
It's got nothing to do with the state, BI. "St. Bonaventure, NY" is a Census Designated Place of the Federal government, largely if not entirely because it has its own post office.

Excellent summary, though. The only other nit I will pick is that while the City of Olean is "inside" the town in a geographic sense, they are independent entities. Incorporated cities in NYS are all independent from any surrounding local authorities. Interestingly, incorporated villages are not. Thus, the Village of Allegany is a constituent part of the Town of Allegany but the City of Olean is not a constituent part of the Town of Olean.

And I still say that paul has no chance of the easy pickup at the 3rd Base.
It is a census designated place yes and in NYS many, but not all, hamlets are. You're right about the city of Olean - I was thinking more in terms of appearing spatially/geographically "inside" the town. But if you're a city resident you don't pay town taxes or get town services.

Care to give us the rundown on school districting? Hahaha.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Care to give us the rundown on school districting? Hahaha.
Sure. I'll start with Virginia. One county or one city = one school district. Thus, Fairfax County, population about 1.15 million, has 188,000 students in a single district.

New York's a little more difficult to explain. Erie County, population 0.92 million, with 137,000 students, has 29 separate school districts (with 29 separate boards and 29 separate administrations). Don't even get me started on more rural parts of the state. My own alma mater, little Portville Central, has a district including the entire town of Portville, part of the town of Olean in Cattaraugus County, and parts of the towns of Cuba and Little Genesee in Allegany County. It might also include part of the town of Bolivar, but I do not think so. All for a whopping 700 students.

As with most things of a New York state of mind, it's an administrative mess.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Sure. I'll start with Virginia. One county or one city = one school district. Thus, Fairfax County, population about 1.15 million, has 188,000 students in a single district.

New York's a little more difficult to explain. Erie County, population 0.92 million, with 137,000 students, has 29 separate school districts (with 29 separate boards and 29 separate administrations). Don't even get me started on more rural parts of the state. My own alma mater, little Portville Central, has a district including the entire town of Portville, part of the town of Olean in Cattaraugus County, and parts of the towns of Cuba and Little Genesee in Allegany County. It might also include part of the town of Bolivar, but I do not think so. All for a whopping 700 students.

As with most things of a New York state of mind, it's an administrative mess.
Ok now do Ohio & South Dakota...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And my main thought is how does glacier flow affect certain Upstate NY governmental & geographical designations?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'll have to put a little time and research into that one.

EDIT: Although I can say off the top of my head that the last glacier did change the drainage basin of what is not the Olean area, sending the water southwest to what is now the Ohio River and not to the north and the proto-St. Lawerence as it had previously.

·
Piker
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
It was probably due to the confederate flag in the back window of your pickup truck.
I was on a production shoot for the second Woodstock festival. We were driving to Max Yasgur’s farm to do some initial video work before going to the main location. The officer came to my window and I told him that I did not know U turns were illegal. He heard my voice and said, I take it that you are not from here and he laughed. He let me off without a citation.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts