Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pistons coach Flip Saunders tends to stress a bit when circumstances in games prevent him from using his bench as much as he would like.

"The toughest thing for me is these guys all practice hard and give me everything I ask of them, and you want to reward them," he said. "And the way you reward them is by giving them an opportunity to play."

Either because of matchup issues, or game situations, or because a starter or two or three had an extremely hot hand, reserves Carlos Arroyo, Carlos Delfino, Maurice Evans and Darko Milicic didn't get off the bench much in the last two games.

"Sometimes you get into situations," Saunders said. "When you have games on TNT or ESPN (three of the first six) where you get four-minute timeouts. It's like playoff games. That's why you see teams playing only seven or eight guys in the playoffs. You have so much more rest built into the games."
...Secondly, Delfino continues to impress in his short stints, and is gaining on Evans for that eighth spot in the rotation.

"Carlos is a guy we can put on bigger (shooting guards or small forwards)," Saunders said.

..."I just want to help this team," Delfino said. "I want to show the guys I can be there for them. Whatever the team needs, that's what I will do. I just want to show the guys I am ready to help."
Link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
I doubt Delfino passes Mo but with Flips 10 man rotation that doesn't matter a whole lot. Flip will use the bench more, he just didn't want to lose on national tv. I am glad to see the team off to a 6-0 start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
I definately think Flip needs to find a way to get Delfino in the game more. He's much better at getting his own shot than Evans and I'd even go as far to say that so far he has played better defense.

I think Evans works well when he is on the floor with Chauncey and his ability to collapse a defense. Delfino seems like a better fit with Arroyo as he gives us a more diverse scoring and playmaking presence and can actually get the ball out of Arroyo's hands.

I'm sure these things will start to work themselves out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
Mike luvs KG said:
I definately think Flip needs to find a way to get Delfino in the game more. He's much better at getting his own shot than Evans and I'd even go as far to say that so far he has played better defense.

I think Evans works well when he is on the floor with Chauncey and his ability to collapse a defense. Delfino seems like a better fit with Arroyo as he gives us a more diverse scoring and playmaking presence and can actually get the ball out of Arroyo's hands.

I'm sure these things will start to work themselves out.
Having to find playing time because we have to many good players is a problem I don't mind having :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
I would like to see Arroyo, Delfino, Darko, Dice and Mo on the floor more as a unit. they practise together and should be accustom to each others tendancies. Let them build a identity like the starters. The more they play and become accustom to a set rotation and an alotted time? they will stop forcing shots and become a more cohesive unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
Copper said:
I would like to see Arroyo, Delfino, Darko, Dice and Mo on the floor more as a unit. they practise together and should be accustom to each others tendancies. Let them build a identity like the starters. The more they play and become accustom to a set rotation and an alotted time? they will stop forcing shots and become a more cohesive unit.
The alternators are back :) Good old Jon Barry bench labeling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
i wouldnt have started this thread(trying to be positive) but i see a somewhat familiar pattern to not playing the bench more,specifically darko. the thing i dont like is the subliminal message that the pistons cant play this guy in a close game because they may lose or fall behind and never be able to catch up. i dont think there is any stats to back that up. when he has been in there the team either maintains or goes up by more. this thought that he's a hinderance is rather depressing. you either play him or you dont, they shouldnt be looking for that perfect chance to put him in the game. if he's that weak get rid of him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
rainman said:
the thing i dont like is the subliminal message that the pistons cant play this guy in a close game because they may lose or fall behind and never be able to catch up.
It's not so much that they can't play him in close games, it's that when the only reason the game is close or they are losing is that they are getting dominated on the glass it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring your worst rebounding big man off the bench. That's really the only reason Dale Davis go in over him against Portland.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Mike luvs KG said:
It's not so much that they can't play him in close games, it's that when the only reason the game is close or they are losing is that they are getting dominated on the glass it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring your worst rebounding big man off the bench. That's really the only reason Dale Davis go in over him against Portland.
if thats the case i think there's a problem there.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rainman said:
i wouldnt have started this thread(trying to be positive) but i see a somewhat familiar pattern to not playing the bench more,specifically darko. the thing i dont like is the subliminal message that the pistons cant play this guy in a close game because they may lose or fall behind and never be able to catch up. i dont think there is any stats to back that up. when he has been in there the team either maintains or goes up by more. this thought that he's a hinderance is rather depressing. you either play him or you dont, they shouldnt be looking for that perfect chance to put him in the game. if he's that weak get rid of him.
I don't see how you saw that when it mentions basically the whole bench unit minus McDyess. I don't think anyone feels that way about Darko anymore, especially with the way he plays defense. The last two games everyone who comes off the bench minutes have been down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
rainman said:
if thats the case i think there's a problem there.
If you call having the depth to pick and choose what matchups and skill sets you want on the floor a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
DetBNyce said:
I don't see how you saw that when it mentions basically the whole bench unit minus McDyess. I don't think anyone feels that way about Darko anymore, especially with the way he plays defense. The last two games everyone who comes off the bench minutes have been down.
Darko is making jokes with Rasheed on the bench when Dice has been in the game the past 2 nights. I don't think anything negative can be taken from that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Very reassuring.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top