Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I really like the recent formatting cleanups on the chart and I don't want to mess with stuff too much, but I'm not sure the best way to reflect guys coming back for an extra year and their lack of impact on scholarship limits.

Right now the boxes are set up with just 13 slots, but the returning fifth-year guys shouldn't count toward that. Should those guys be listed below everybody else as we do with other "extra" players? Or should we add more boxes at the bottom as needed to reflect allowed players or open slots beyond the usual 13?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,769 Posts
I really like the recent formatting cleanups on the chart and I don't want to mess with stuff too much, but I'm not sure the best way to reflect guys coming back for an extra year and their lack of impact on scholarship limits.

Right now the boxes are set up with just 13 slots, but the returning fifth-year guys shouldn't count toward that. Should those guys be listed below everybody else as we do with other "extra" players? Or should we add more boxes at the bottom as needed to reflect allowed players or open slots beyond the usual 13?
I have been struggling with the best way to reflect this, so we're on the same page. I'm not sure what to do with this.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I also wonder if guys who enter the transfer portal should automatically be classified as out of the program and stricken from later years. Sometimes players really are just testing the waters and end up coming back, like SJU's Lorenzo Edwards did in 2019. Perhaps shade them in another color until their situation is clarified?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,769 Posts
I also wonder if guys who enter the transfer portal should automatically be classified as out of the program and stricken from later years. Sometimes players really are just testing the waters and end up coming back, like SJU's Lorenzo Edwards did in 2019. Perhaps shade them in another color until their situation is clarified?
In the overwhelming majority of cases, guys who enter the portal wind up leaving their current school. I find it easier to just strike them once they enter the portal, and then to go back and update the few who would actually return after opening themselves up to the portal cesspool.

Also, I pushed down the scholarship borders for Duquesne and Rhode Island since both have a returning player who will not count against the NCAA scholarship limit. Does that look better, SFspidur?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, I like that. I would even be in favor of pushing them down to include open slots, as it gives a sense of which teams may still be hunting for guys. Like the Spiders still have two open slots for 2021 even though we have 13 on board at the moment, so it seems reasonable for the chart to reflect that.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,769 Posts
Yeah, I like that. I would even be in favor of pushing them down to include open slots, as it gives a sense of which teams may still be hunting for guys. Like the Spiders still have two open slots for 2021 even though we have 13 on board at the moment, so it seems reasonable for the chart to reflect that.
Updated.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I updated Mason based on current information. It gets a little silly after 2022-23 with the possible COVID extra years, but oh well.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,769 Posts
I updated Mason based on current information. It gets a little silly after 2022-23 with the possible COVID extra years, but oh well.
Thanks. To avoid confusion, I haven't been presuming any returning player will take his extra year of eligibility. Once they do, I add them with the "#" to indicate them not counting toward the scholarship limit.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Bill Russell/Treebeard, I don't know how you will deal with this one but the Hawks got a commitment from Rasheer Fleming out of Camden High yesterday. He's our fourteenth scholarship player for 2022 at the moment so someone probably won't be here a year from now. Maybe after next season Hall will go pro, maybe Obinna won't take advantage of the extra season of eligibility, maybe Foster's time away from basketball will become a "retirement" or someone else will transfer out. Who knows. But, I'll let you straighten it out for the moment tree-wise! Perhaps put Obinna in that slate-blue color?

141 - 151 of 151 Posts