Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone listening to the FAN?

I'm just getting ESPN Radio through the web at work. No mention yet.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Listening to WFAN and Ian Eagle right now.

Confirmed: Byron Scott is fired as Nets head coach.

Eagle: "All indications are Lawrence Frank . . . will get his opportunity here."

Eagle heavily comparing Lawrence Frank to Jeff Van Gundy, when Van Gundy took over for Don Nelson.

All-Nets talk right now on WFAN.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. Well, if it was gonna happen, better now than later, so the Nets have as much time as possible to get back on track.

From what I hear, the players like Frank. I watched him real close through my binoculars (we were up real high) in the couple of time-outs in the 4th yesterday. He seemed real active and energetic, drawing up plays.

Not firing or extending scott last summer was a huge mistake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Holy crap. Never expected it. Well, Frank did a hell of a job last night in place of Scott, but still - I never thought he'd be fired this season.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Byron was a class act. He took all the rumors and pressure, and his lame-duck status with dignity.

Obviously, however, there was a rift between him and the players. Its a shame, becuase this team has accomplished so much in the last 2 1/2 seasons.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
He had class...i just think he was a little hard headed. he kind of reminded me of Riley at the end of his run...they were so used to success with the lakers...they forgot that times have changed.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
He had class...i just think he was a little hard headed. he kind of reminded me of Riley at the end of his run...they were so used to success with the lakers...they forgot that times have changed.
I can't argue with that. He was definitely stubborn when it came to the rotation.

http://www.coachbyronscott.com/

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
devil's advocate

A criticism of Scott has been lack of nuts-and-bolts, Xs-and-Os game-planning, and he left that part of coaching to his assistants.

SO, why should we expect anything to change in terms of strategy, player rotation, etc, if Lawrence Frank was making a bulk of the decisions anyway?

Just a thought. ;) I'm looking forward to finding out what Frank, as a supposed Van Gundy clone, will do.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I am very surprised that he was fired now. Sure the team is barely over .500 but you led your division.

Interim going to stay rest of season? Or do you see someone like Rivers coming in?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The timing confirmed one thing: That the firing of Scott was just delayed due to the sales of this team. He was a goner even before the start of regular season and we fans already picked up few hints. No suprise here.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
I am very surprised that he was fired now. Sure the team is barely over .500 but you led your division.
Leading the division, but 9 games behind Indiana and severely underachieving.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Wow. That was a shocker! Did you guys see that one coming. I do not follow the Nets closely but I thought he was doing a good job.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Registered
78 Posts
We beat the Celtics because they'd already made the decision on Friday. The players were relieved:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts