Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice that in time-outs, RJ was always way off to the side, looking somewhere other than in the direction of Byron?

Also, when I'm at games, I would always notice that when RJ gets taken out, he takes a path away from Byron towards the end of the bench.

Maybe I'm just speculating, but some comments on the nj.com board about Byron's lack of communication make me think that things were even worse than they seemed.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't know about RJ's feelings towards Scott, but I always got the feeling that Scott really liked Jefferson. Scott did play favorites and Jefferson was one of them.

Just my opinion, but I think Scotts favorites were RJ, Collins and Kidd (not on a personal level).

And all of the reports on NJO.com about Scott ignoring Deke and such......I don't doubt it at all. Scott came off as someone who would make you feel uncomfortable if he thought it would prove a point. Thats why he called out Steph, Stephen Jackson, Martin when he was a rookie and even Zoran this year. I hated when he used to do stuff like that. I thought it was the wrong approach.

Instead of going to the media and telling them that Steph wasn't the right PG to run the break, Jackson's defense wasn't strong enough to stick with the Nets, Kenyon isn't trying hard enough and Zoran looks like he's not trying out on the court, Scott could've kept it inside the locker room. Seemed like he liked to communicate to some players through the media.

Though I never heard him say anything about RJ's erratic shooting, or Collins' lack of rebounding.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to tell if RJ was one of his favorites, becuase there would be no excuse for not playing him. He has so much talent. I don't recall hearing any interviews that would give me an idea one way or another. You could be right, though.

I don't think RJ's play has ever been affected by whatever relationship he had with Scott. He has steadily improved his game in the 2 1/2 years he's been a Net. Where, with Kidd, you can definitely speculate that his relationship with Byron, and possibly his desire to get him fired, affected his play.

I just thought RJ's behavior and body language were interesting, and could be an indication of conflict. I'll be looking closely at how he acts from now on.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Scott had his good points and bad points, definitely.

One of his player criticisms that didn't ring true was his response to a media question about why it took so long for Scalabrine to crack the rotation. His response was that Veal had been 'over-thinking' the game, rushing, making bad decisions and wasn't just playing. A strange thing to say, since Veal's basketball IQ is one of his strengths. Veal may not have been instant offense, but from day one, he hustled, provided energy and good fundamental play, basically the same things he provided this season. But Scott used Rogers then, and then went back to Rogers this season. Yeah, Scott had his favorites, ones who could do no wrong, and then others he wouldn't give a fair chance.

He's always answered questions with cliches, which may be his decision on media relations. However, did it ever seem to anybody else Scott wasn't as knowledgeable on his own team and players as a head coach should have been?

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Scott had his good points and bad points, definitely.

One of his player criticisms that didn't ring true was his response to a media question about why it took so long for Scalabrine to crack the rotation. His response was that Veal had been 'over-thinking' the game, making bad decisions and wasn't just playing. A strange thing to say, since Veal's basketball IQ is one of his strengths. Veal may not have been instant offense, but from day one, he hustled, provided energy and good fundamental play, basically the same things he provided this season. But Scott used Rogers then, and then went back to Rogers this season. Yeah, Scott had his favorites, ones who could do no wrong, and then others he wouldn't give a fair chance.

He's always answered questions with cliches, which may be his decision on media relations. However, did it ever seem to anybody else Scott wasn't as knowledgeable on his own team and players as a head coach should have been?
This thread isn't about Scalabrine!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

This thread isn't about Scalabrine!!!! :D
Yeah, I know. ;)

Just making a point that Scott seemed not to have a coach's knowledge and grasp of his own team. The cliches, how he would play favorites, his criticisms, his rationales for who he used and how he used them, all point to a coach who wasn't as in tune as he should have been. Veal is just a really good example. When he's pointing out decision-making as a problem, it says something about how well he knew his own players. I'm sure that extends to Twin, RJ, Deke, Planinic, etc..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!

Just making a point that Scott seemed not to have a coach's knowledge and grasp of his own team.
Can you guys name the last coach we had who really knew what the hell he was doing, and not just a guy in a suit???

·
Registered
525 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
Can you guys name the last coach we had who really knew what the hell he was doing, and not just a guy in a suit???
Chuck Daly

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

Well, its about time you came clean. Are you Veal's agent or are you his brother? ;)
:laugh:

No, just a fan who was beating the drum for him when most fans were treating him like the team mascot. To me, he represents a lot of the good side of sports. I root for him much the same way I used to root for Mase when he came up as an unknown on the Knicks. The difference is, Mase came up in the NBA under a coach who played his best players, regardless of preconceptions, and played them to their strengths.

To me, Rogers/Scalabrine is Smith/Mason all over again.

The kid is underrated. He has nearly the identical skill-set as Brad Miller (in a smaller package), with possibly a better low post game. He can play, he plays hard and he's on a team that needs his skill-set, but doesn't use it. Veal has been wasted on the Nets. So, I'll keep beating the drum for him until his head coach, whoever it is, gets it right.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A great X & O coach but had no understanding of the psyche of the professional basketball player (ie poor motivator).

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think we'd have to go all the way back to Chuck Daly too.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think Calipari was a great coach. He may not have had the same style as most coaches you see in the NBA, but he got the guys to play solid basketball.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I think Calipari was a great coach. He may not have had the same style as most coaches you see in the NBA, but he got the guys to play solid basketball.
I wonder how well he would have done with Jason Kidd?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts