Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow will most likely be Scottie Pippen's last game in Portland. I can't find the story but it has been said that he will play Saturday and then one more game in Chicago, and then retire.

I'll be applauding a great career and a great player.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
Tomorrow will most likely be Scottie Pippen's last game in Portland. I can't find the story but it has been said that he will play Saturday and then one more game in Chicago, and then retire.
That's interesting. A very good way to retire...one more game in front of both crowds and then no more.

I'll be applauding a great career and a great player.
Definitely. I'll miss Pippen in the NBA.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Pippen is truly one of the all-time greats. If his career is winding down it will be an honor to have one of his final games be in Portland.

Ed O.

·
Registered
936 Posts
He should receive a very warm reception on Saturday. Portland fans have always been very good at showing the appropriate amount of love for those special Blazers of the past. And Pippen was a special one. Some may disagree, but if it wasn't for that guy, Portland would not have made the run in 2000.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm always mixed about him.

On the one hand I'll remember him for his incredible talent and all around play.

On the other hand, I remember him as the person who led hte team mutiny against Dunleavy and mailed in his palying in hte playoffs that year.

Nonetheless, clap clap clap.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Why not in Houston as well? :D

We appreciate all you did here in Portland Scottie

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice of Pippen to lace it up against Portland for the last time. I'll be cheering him on, just not his team.

I hope Pippen consider becoming an assistant coach for Portland when he retired. He would be great.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
On the other hand, I remember him as the person who led hte team mutiny against Dunleavy and mailed in his palying in hte playoffs that year.
I don't remember any of that.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope Pippen consider becoming an assistant coach for Portland when he retired. He would be great.
Perhaps that is not entirely out of the question!

This is from the Portland Tribune:

"Portland is like a second home to us," says Pippen, who spent four seasons in a Portland uniform before signing a two-year, $10-million free-agent contract with the Chicago Bulls. "It was a great four years playing there. I hated to leave."
Contrary to public opinion, Pippen has not been promised a position in the front office once he retires.
"Not at all," Pippen says. "Everybody is saying that, but it is not true."
Maybe not, but it's no secret that a front-office role would be of interest to Pippen.
LINK

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The retirement of Sabonis and apparently now of Pippen will certainly mark the passing of an era for the Blazers and their fans.

Good luck, Pip, in your future endeavors. Thanks for your years in Portland.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
I think, if it's even possible, the Blazers should do anything and everything to get Pippen as an assistant here, asap.
I agree, I would like him to coach here. I am very glad I got to see him play those four years for us. I for one really liked his skill and dedication.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Isn't Pip, like, 3 or 4 steals behind Mo in the "all-time" category? If so, one would think he'd make every effort to pass him.

That being said, don't look for many minutes at PG from Q Saturday night. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

On the one hand I'll remember him for his incredible talent and all around play.

Do you really think he led the team mutiny against Dunleavy?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

I disagree. As I recall, the team mutiny was for one, not organized or led by any one player. Second, if any player was instrumental in that uprising, it was Rasheed Wallace who went after Dunleavy, physically. But in actual fact, the problem was with Trader Bob and the fast decline of the Blazers coincided with his moronic signing of Detlef Schrempf (who did nothing but sow strife in the locker room) and Rod Strickland (whose very presence threatened Damon Stoudamire and put Greg Anthony on the outside of the rotation looking in).

Other than knocking around a few towels and muttering "this guy can't coach" at one point, Pippen was a class act in Portland. He's the closest thing we've had to a floor leader since Clyde flew south.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I always appreciated the extra efforts and professionalism that Pippen appeared to do for us. He wanted to raise the level of play we had.

I still remember the day we got him in a trade with Houston. I was a bit shocked, but loved it.

He seemed to have lots of leadership abilities while on the floor. I wonder if he would persue coaching. He seems like a natural at it. Its always hard to know if the legendary players have the ability to coach well... aka Magic, Kareem, Bird, Drexler, Cheeks.... etc or are they better destined for the office.

It sure would be nice to see him here though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'll never forget his trey that sent the Jazz packing in 2000. That has to be one of the most clutch shots in franchise history. Scottie didn't bring us the title I thought he would, but I appreciated his play here nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Scottie was one of my most favorite blazers to watch, I loved his professionalism, his work ethic, his motivation, and his disregard for personal accolades.

Pippen has to go down in NBA history as the greatest complimentary player ever. You could pair him with any great and he would elevate that team, the same can not be said of many others, who need touches.

Without Pippen, Jordan would not have near the fame he has received.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RipCity9</b>!
I'll never forget his trey that sent the Jazz packing in 2000. That has to be one of the most clutch shots in franchise history. Scottie didn't bring us the title I thought he would, but I appreciated his play here nonetheless.
what I remember is how I was listening to that game, (I was not near a tv set at the time) and I just knew we weren't going to lose. Infact, I felt that way a lot with the 2000 team..

But the best part of that shot is when you DO see it on national TV..the idiots calling the game have basically given up on the blazers..and were talking..talking..not really paying attention to whats happening..and then BAM!

"blah blah blah...Pippen shoots a 3 HE HITS IT! blah blah blah"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts