Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets look at the importance of good scouting. My example is the Phoenix Suns.

1994 - 23rd - Wesley Person
1995 - 21st - Micael Finley
1996 - 15th - Steve Nash
1997 - 43rd - Stephen Jackson
1999 - 9th - Shawn Marion
2002 - 9th - Amare Stoudamire
2002 - 22nd - Casey Jacobsen
2003 - 17th - Zarko Cabarkapa

That is damn good drafting. They never had a pick higher than 9th, and ended up with 3 stars, 1 guy who is going to be a superstar, and another who could possibly be a star (zarko) plus some very solid roleplayers.

Its very evident that the players on the court for any team, are just a result of what the management is doing with the team. Rarely, you'll luck into players who become so good they are basically running the team from every angle (MJ). I'm sure MJ had a say in just about everything the front office ever did while he was in town. The point is, management runs the team. The players on the court for the Bulls are a reflection of a vision by the management, so all blame goes to them if things dont go well...and all praise goes to them when things do go well, unless its an MJ type situation. Even then, they should receive some praise for drafting MJ.

The key is scouting, being able to bring in solid players every year is such an advantage. Having trade bait always available makes things so much easier. I mean, the Suns turned a 21st pick into Jason Kidd, which turned to Marbury, and now Lampe/more picks.

We always say Eddy and Jamal gotta get it together, but as far as the BULLS FRANCHISE goes, all the blame goes to management. Their decision making skills have been horrendous, their drafting/scouting has been terrible. Overall they get an F. Drafting guys like El-Amin and Guyton when obviously better NBA players like Redd and Najera are still available is unacceptable.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea and Parker was a late first round pick. Also, Barbosa was a late first round pick selected by the Spurs, and Suns traded for him. My guess is that the Barbosa pick was a product of the brilliant scouting of either the Spurs or Suns, or both.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Lets look at the importance of good scouting. My example is the Phoenix Suns.

1994 - 23rd - Wesley Person
1995 - 21st - Micael Finley
1996 - 15th - Steve Nash
1997 - 43rd - Stephen Jackson
1999 - 9th - Shawn Marion
2002 - 9th - Amare Stoudamire
2002 - 22nd - Casey Jacobsen
2003 - 17th - Zarko Cabarkapa

That is damn good drafting. They never had a pick higher than 9th, and ended up with 3 stars, 1 guy who is going to be a superstar, and another who could possibly be a star (zarko) plus some very solid roleplayers.

Its very evident that the players on the court for any team, are just a result of what the management is doing with the team. Rarely, you'll luck into players who become so good they are basically running the team from every angle (MJ). I'm sure MJ had a say in just about everything the front office ever did while he was in town. The point is, management runs the team. The players on the court for the Bulls are a reflection of a vision by the management, so all blame goes to them if things dont go well...and all praise goes to them when things do go well, unless its an MJ type situation. Even then, they should receive some praise for drafting MJ.

The key is scouting, being able to bring in solid players every year is such an advantage. Having trade bait always available makes things so much easier. I mean, the Suns turned a 21st pick into Jason Kidd, which turned to Marbury, and now Lampe/more picks.

We always say Eddy and Jamal gotta get it together, but as far as the BULLS FRANCHISE goes, all the blame goes to management. Their decision making skills have been horrendous, their drafting/scouting has been terrible. Overall they get an F. Drafting guys like El-Amin and Guyton when obviously better NBA players like Redd and Najera are still available is unacceptable.
And with bad trades and bad signings, they have managed to undo a lot of the the good choices they have made through the draft. They are the worst team in the Western Conference, below the Clippers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Jazz, and Nuggets. And according to the computer rankings (which account fully for schedule strength), they are about even with Miami and Cleveland in the Eastern Conference. In my opinion, that is not much to hang their hat on.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Scouting and Management = Key to Success

Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!
And with bad trades and bad signings, they have managed to undo a lot of the the good choices they have made through the draft. They are the worst team in the Western Conference, below the Clippers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Jazz, and Nuggets. And according to the computer rankings (which account fully for schedule strength), they are about even with Miami and Cleveland in the Eastern Conference. In my opinion, that is not much to hang their hat on.
I used their drafts in the past years as an example of good scouting. On another note, I said decision making and the front office decides the success of a team, not its players. I dont think I ever said the Suns front office did an excellent job of decision making outside of drafting.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Scouting and Management = Key to Success

Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
I used their drafts in the past years as an example of good scouting. On another note, I said decision making and the front office decides the success of a team, not its players. I dont think I ever said the Suns front office did an excellent job of decision making outside of drafting.
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I agree that your post was strictly about the good drafting that Phoenix has done.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: Re: Scouting and Management = Key to Success

Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I agree that your post was strictly about the good drafting that Phoenix has done.
As I look up, I didnt seperate the points well enough. I meant to compliment Phoenix drafting, and also say that decision making is important without insinuating that they have also made good decisions as far as trading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts