Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming this summer! I will be putting up scouting reports of players I see in the summer league games. I have a few scouting reports from last summer in the summer league. I also have some tapes I will be going through, but a little out dated, so I will find some more. The dates updated for each scouting report will be up. There will be guys that will have updated scouting reports over the course of the summer, like a Ndudi Ebi. There are some guys who have very brief scouting reports from last summer, but taht is because they saw very limited time. Some guys you maybe interested to see will be the Wolves picks, Toronto picks, the Indiana picks, and maybe the New York Knicks pick. You will also get to see some rookie free agents...

Some scouting reports that will be featured before july 15th will be Ndudi Ebi, Blake Stepp, Rick Rickert, Rickey Paulding, Rafael Aroujo, and Andre Igoudala.

My schooling ends June 9th so after that I will start putting up a couple scouting reports from last summer up. Dates will be provided because more than likely these players improved....

Thanks!

Updated! August 23rd!
I do plan to do some more overall scouting from college to high school. I will be going to university of minnesota games scouting Vincent Grier and freshmen Damian Johnson. I will try getting to some Minnesota High School games and scout some of the top players. I will be scouting other guys in college. If there is anyone you are interested in the minnesota area, just let me know and I will try getting to them.
One more thing is a little iffy, I am possibly going to Egypt in august, so I may be scouting some guys from over there even if Egypt isn't much of a place where NBA players are coming from. I will keep you guys updated though.

Some Minnesota High Schoolers I plan to scout will be Isaiah Dahlman, Bryce Webster, Cole Aldrich, and Trevor Mbakwe.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ndudi Ebi #44
Minnesota Timberwolves

Position: Forward
Height:6-9
Weight: 200 lbs
Birthdate: 6/18/84
High School: Westbury Christian (TX)'03
Draft: 2003 1st Round (26th Overall)

Pros:Ebi is a good athlete. He has good leaping ability. Ebi is also a good defender as long as he is defending small forwards. He is a good shot blocker also. He has good timing and keeps the ball in play when he blocks a shot. He is also pretty good at playing the passing lanes. With that, he is has above average ball handling skills for his size. He pushes the ball well on the break, making good decisions to either pass or take it himself. He has a smooth mid-range jumper and can hit the shot too. As time goes on, this will be a good part of it game. Ebi has some good post moves. Key word is some though. He will be able to learn more as time goes on. He is an above average offensive and defensive rebounder. Has a lot of potential. His perimeter offense is improving.

Cons: Ebi is still very raw offensively. He is also still very skinny and weak. He often gets pushed around by shooting guards even if getting pushed around by small forwards wasn't enough. He has trouble with his perimeter defense and guarding faster forwards but his perimeter defense is still improving drastically. He is also foul prone. He commits to every little fake, even simple ball fakes. He doesn't have a quick first step, he struggles with the fact that most other forwards are faster than him. He is also a terrible free throw shooter. He still needs to add a lot of muscle. He is an all-around type of player but really is not great at anything yet. He forces too many shots. He is foul prone.

Potentially: Smaller, skinnier Antwan Jamison
Possibly:Smaller version Jonathon Bender

Date Written: 7/9/04
Updated:7/20/05

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Blake Stepp #3
Minnesota Timberwolves

Position: Guard
Height: 6-4
Weight: 194 lbs
Birthdate: 2/4/82
College: Gonzaga '04
Draft: 2004 2nd Round (58th Overall)

Pros: The first thing you notice about Stepp is that he is a very good shooter.He is not only a set shooter either. He is effective shooting off the dribble. He was being bothered by an ankle injury and still was draining 3's during the summer league. He is also a great passer. He has good vision. He can score but he still manages to be a pass first point guard. He is an above average free throw shooter. He is also undderrated on the defensive end. He can bring good ball pressure. He can also play both guard positions, knowing what to bring to each position.

Cons: Although he isn't injuried a lot, he lets little injuries affect his game. The one thing he did good was shoot when he was hurt, but other than that he had a lot of trouble. He forces passes too much. He also turns the ball over a lot. His ball handling is below standards for the NBA. He is also foul prone, reaching a lot on defense. He also is not a "flashy" player. He lacks the foot speed most NBA guards have. He also is not as athletic as most guards in the league. He needs to have a quicker first-step on offense in order to be an effecient scorer on the NBA level.

Potentially: John Paxson
Possibly: Dan Dickau (rookie year)

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ricky Paulding#23
Detriot Pistons

Poistion: Shooting Guard
Height: 6-5
Weight: 218
Birthdate: 9/23/82
College: Missouri '04
Draft: 2004 2nd Round(54th Overall)

Pros: Paulding is simply a freak athlete. He is a great leaper. He is fast. He gets up well off the ground. His jump shot is above average and is improving. He moves well without the ball, like a Rip Hamilton or Reggie Miller. He can be a good scorer. He can also be a good defender. He is an above average rebounder. He is a good slasher. He should be in the league for a few years.

Cons: He is undersized by NBA standards. He can get overpowered by bigger guards. He is a streaky shooter. He can be a very good defender, only when he wants to be though. He looks like sometimes he is not giving 100% out there. His jump shot still needs some work in order to be an average or an above average shooter at his position.

Potentially: Young Latrell Sprewell minus attitude
Possibly: Demarr Johnson right now

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rick Rickert #14
Minnesota Timberwolves

Height: 6-11
Weight: 225 lbs
Birthdate: 2/11/83
College: Minnesota '05
Draft: 2003 2nd Round( 55th Overall)

Pros: He is an agile big man. Rickert is an all-around player. He has an average mid-range shot. He is a decent scorer. He has become a hustle player. He is a decent free throw shooter. He can block shots here and there.

Cons:He has gained 20 lbs but is simply way too weak for the NBA. He isn't exactly good at anything, just has an all-around average game. He lacks effective post moves. He is a terrible perimeter and post defender. He is also pretty slow. He gets bullyed around down low. Unless he gets very strong and develops something in his game that he is actually good at, he will never be on an NBA roster.

Potentially: Poor man's taller, weaker Keith Van Horn
Possibly: Poor man's weaker Pat Burke.

Date Written:7/9/04

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rafael Araujo #55
Toronto Raptors

Position: Center
Height: 6-11
Weight: 290 lbs
Birthdate: 8/12/80
College: BYU '04
Draft: 2004 1st Round (8th Overall)

Pros: The first thing you notice about Araujo is how big he is. He is almost 7 feet tall but he is a wide body. He has no problems with strong big men down low. He pushes people around himself. He is also a beast on the boards, especially the defensive boards. He is also a good passing big man. Hr has good vision. He also brings good communication to the floor, looking like a natural leader. He has some good developing post moves. He is a good free throw shooting big man.

Cons: Araujo needs to work on his conditioning, looking very tired on the floor. He doesn't look like he is giving his all on the floor. He also has trouble getting good post position. One thing you notice about him is how terrible of a mid-range jump shooter he is. He takes his share of jumpers and simply can't make them. Hopefully this develops, but it is just terrible. He also has trouble finishing around the basket. He sometimes misses point blank shots when he is wide open.

Potentially: Brad Miller
Possibly: Matt Gieger (his last year)

Date Written:7/9/04

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andre Iguodala #9
Philadelphia 76ers

Position: Guard/ Small Forward
Height: 6-6
Weight: 207 lbs
Birthdate: 1/28/84
College: Arizona '06
Draft: 1st Round (9th Overall)

Pros: "Iggy" is a freak athlete. He gets up high off the ground. He is an all-around player. He plays good transition offense and defense. He plays like a shooting guard version of Charles Barkley on the fast break, which is a good thing. He can definetly handle the ball. He is also a tremendous passer. He plays like a big point guard. He is a good slasher. He is also a very good defender, which is helped by his athletism. He will become a shut down defender in the future. He is a good free throw shooter, and gets to the line. He has a nice stroke.

Cons: Iguodala simply can't score. He has a lot of trouble shooting the ball. He has a good stroke but the shots just don't drop. It is improving though. His mid-range game is terrible. He turns the ball over a little too much. He also is foul prone. He doesn't have much of a post game either.

Potentially: Scottie Pippen
Possibly: Tariq Abdul- Wahad

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Your Araujo scouting report is a little off..

Pros:You mentioned that he was a beast on the boards, definetly not true. He does not have any post moves whatsoever.

Negatives:He is fairly well conditioned and can run the floor very well for a big man his size. His midrange jumper is really the only thing he has going for him right now.. on the offensive end, thats all he has, and its a good weapon.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe he grabbed like 21 boards in the summer league games. But thanks for the tip, I didn't see much of him during the year. I will do more scouting on him this summer at the summer league games, I will tell you what I see.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think one reason you may think he is conditioned is because he didn't see many minutes. He played a lot during the summer league and he looked sluggish out there.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
sheefo13 said:
I think one reason you may think he is conditioned is because he didn't see many minutes. He played a lot during the summer league and he looked sluggish out there.
Good point. He might not be well conditioned, but I can tell you that he runs the floor very well for a man his size.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but it is not like it is something he can't change. I will be sure to keep an eye out for it this summer, see how his conditioning looks.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rashad McCants #1
Minnesota Timberwolves

Height: 6-4
Weight: 207
Birthdate: 9/25/84
College: North Carolina '06
Draft: 1st Round (14th Overall Pick)
Pros:

Cons:

Potentially: Poor man's Dwayne Wade with a good shot
Possibly: Joe Forte

Date Written:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bracey Wright #3
Minnesota Timberwolves

Height: 6-3
Weight: 210
Birthdate: 7/1/84
College: Indiana '06
Draft: 2nd Round (47th Pick Overall)
Pros:

Cons:

Potentially: Poor Man's Gilbert Arenas
Possibly: Smush Parker

Date Written:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Andrew Bogut #4
Milwaukee Bucks

Position: PF/C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 245
Birthdate: 11/28/84
College: Utah '07
Draft: 1st Round (1st Overall Pick) 2005 Draft

Pros: Bogut is very agile for a big man. He is not athletic as a Dirk, but he can hold his own. The first thing you notice about Bogut is how good his post moves are. He is not like your typical rookie big man. He has good post moves but is not extremely athletic though. He still has a lot of potential since he is so young. He is also a good passer from the post. He has pretty good ball handling skills for a big man. He is also extremely good at getting to the line. He doesn't force shots from the post either. Bogut also has a pretty decent mid-range game. Bogut is pretty strong. He can block shots here and there. He is a very good rebounder. He has the makings to be one of the better rebounders in the game.

Cons: Well Bogut gets discouraged too easily. He lets little things get to him. He has a bad attitude on the court. He has terrible post defense. He is strong but is no where near a threat on the defensive end. He struggles get get post position. Is not that effective from the low block like he should be. He has bad hands. He has trouble catching the ball. Bogut is foul prone. He has slow legs. He looks like a 10 year vet when he is running up the court.

Potentially: Kevin McHale
Possibly: Late Career version of Vlade Divac

Date Written: 7/20/05

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will see. I am doing stuff with the draft site with bbb.net so I have really no time anymore for this. I could post the ones I have done for the site already though. I have a lot of scouting reports laying around my room that I have done from the summer league games that I have never come around to post so im not sure,....

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I am putting up top secret scouting reports of mine from the draft site. I could possibly be putting up my scouting reports of guys from the summer league games... It is a possibility.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Juan Palacios

Louisville
Sophomore
Height: 6’8”
Weight: 245 lbs
Birth date:5/11/85

Strengths: Palacios is an “all-around” type of player. He can hit the 3, he can give you a jump hook, or he can post you up down low. He is surprisingly a decent 3-point shooter. He can simply score in many different ways. He is also a smart player. He is still a developing talent, since he did just start playing basketball at the age of 12. He is a good passer from the post with good vision. He is also decent running the floor. Palacios is built like a machine. He has worked hard on his body since coming out of high school. He has also been working hard on his post moves. He has the tools to become a special talent. He has hit some big shots so far in his career.

Weaknesses: Palacios is really not as athletic as you would like out of a “do-it-all” type of player. He still hasn’t found his true position yet. He is not quick enough to defend the 3 position. He does not have the post play or height of a 4 either. His post game still seems a little nonexistent. He has poor footwork in the post. He does not get to the line as much as you would like out of your forward. It also does not help that he is not a good free throw shooter.

Synopsis: If Palacios can continue to improve at the rate he is right now, there is no reason why he won’t be a lottery pick in 2007. He needs to work on his post game in order for him to be a versatile 4 that his coaches would like him to be. If he does come out in 2006, he has a chance to be a lottery pick but chances are he will be a mid to late first round pick. He has all the tools to be a very solid 2nd or 1st option for a team scoring wise. He can really make a team better.

By Sherief Elabbady

1 - 20 of 25 Posts