Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C Dale Davis generally gets credit for not being one of the Blazers' problem players, but that's only because he does not get arrested or talk a lot. Actually, Davis has a history of being difficult to deal with, so his tantrum last week -- Davis reportedly was upset about receiving a standard fine for missing a team flight, argued with Nash, and abruptly left practice -- was no surprise. Three years ago, upset that Blazers C Arvydas Sabonis was getting more playing time, Davis skipped a team flight and a practice. Further proof that Davis doesn't always get it: He complained almost immediately after signing a two-year, $19 million extension in 2000, saying, "It's just a question of if I can live with it or not." Somehow, he has managed. . .
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2084748

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
For those who say Nash doesn't know what he's doing:

Blazers G.M. John Nash has been patient with the Wallace situation, and that has driven up Wallace's value. . . .

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Three years ago, upset that Blazers C Arvydas Sabonis was getting more playing time, Davis skipped a team flight and a practice.
Someone please correct me if I'm remembering that incident wrong, but I recall what Deveney digging up here is what the media was speculating at the time was the cause of him missing a flight and practice, but it turned out his young daughter was either near death or died or something very serious. Dale may or may not be a good guy, and he may be having problems with Nash fining him for missing a game, but I think Deveney is bringing up proven past media fabrications as fact... which is pretty pathetic reporting IMO.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just more Blazer bashing BS. What else is new? People have to nitpick every little thing and then try to make it a big deal.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!

Someone please correct me if I'm remembering that incident wrong, but I recall what Deveney digging up here is what the media was speculating at the time was the cause of him missing a flight and practice, but it turned out his young daughter was either near death or died or something very serious. Dale may or may not be a good guy, and he may be having problems with Nash fining him for missing a game, but I think Deveney is bringing up proven past media fabrications as fact... which is pretty pathetic reporting IMO.

STOMP
Those two incidents happened over one year apart. He missed the flight to Utah around Christmas, 2000.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1208/12_225/72434882/p2/article.jhtml?term=

His daughter was hospitalized in mid January, 2002. (She did recover.)

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_teams.php?team=Portland&next=200

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!
Those two incidents happened over one year apart. He missed the flight to Utah around Christmas, 2000.
I stand corrected. Maybe Dale is a royal pain? I'm not sure thats so out of the norm for pro athletes, I bet we'd be pretty shocked to see how many of them act. From your first posted link...

Juggling act.(managing the Portland Trail Blazers)
Sporting News, The, March 19, 2001, by Sean Deveney

Conflict No. 2: center--Dale Davis vs. Arvydas Sabonis

It was Christmas, and the Blazers had just beaten the Lakers on the road. But Davis was fuming. He had played five minutes against the Lakers. Sabonis, feeling stronger as he continued his return from offseason ankle and knee surgeries, had played 33.

So Davis ducked the team flight to Utah. He skipped practice, staging a one-man playing-time protest. Davis knew his minutes would decrease when he was traded to Portland from Indiana in August. But five minutes?

"I knew they had a lot of guys, but it took me a long time to accept the role," Davis says now. "I don't like it. I was frustrated. I don't like sitting on the bench. But everybody knows we have to make sacrifices."

STOMP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts