Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at the numbers and Seattle is averaging over 24 3pt attempts per game, including 72 attempts the last 2 games. They do, however, hit the 3 at a high rate - around 38% as a team. Is it me or is falling in love w/ the 3 like this not conducive to winning in the long run. I have watched for years Nellie dominate the regular season via huge offensive totals, only to bow out early every year. Any thoughts on this heavily offensive (especially 3pt) bias?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well they have to, the Sonics have mostly jump shooters, and they might as well shoot the 3 ball, seeing how they have no real lost post prescence.

They have a lot of shooters capable of draining a 3.

Ray.
Rashard.
Raddy.
Bones.

Bench:

Murray.
Daniels.
Ridnour.
Frahm.

I think they have to stick with it.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true, I suppose they could be just playing to their adavantage, but I just wonder if this is their master plan.

·
Registered
775 Posts
This probably is their master plan, they don't trust their big men at all. James, Booth and Potapenko have all started, I think, and all have been benched too.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
I just looked at the numbers and Seattle is averaging over 24 3pt attempts per game, including 72 attempts the last 2 games. They do, however, hit the 3 at a high rate - around 38% as a team. Is it me or is falling in love w/ the 3 like this not conducive to winning in the long run. I have watched for years Nellie dominate the regular season via huge offensive totals, only to bow out early every year. Any thoughts on this heavily offensive (especially 3pt) bias?
Well, i'm not sure if it's our 'master plan' to jack up a lot of 3's. It's basically just the make up of the team...Allen, Lewis, Barry, Radmanovic all like to put up the 3. There is also no low post option to go to either.

I'm not sure that falling in love with the 3 directly leads to losses, there is certainly nothing wrong with the amount of points we score. Since Ray Allen returned from injury we average 105 ppg. It's mainly lack of rebounding and bad defense that leads to the losses. We get out-rebounded by about 5 boards per game and allow opponents 45% FG's.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
theres no problem with the amount of points u score, but shooting 3's lead to long rebounds which lead to easy points for the other team. Yea, u score fine, but jacking up the shots lets the other team score easier off of you..thats how its not conducive to winning

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Re: Re: Seattle 3pt Shooting

Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
I'm not sure that falling in love with the 3 directly leads to losses, there is certainly nothing wrong with the amount of points we score. Since Ray Allen returned from injury we average 105 ppg. It's mainly lack of rebounding and bad defense that leads to the losses. We get out-rebounded by about 5 boards per game and allow opponents 45% FG's.
True.

If you're not getting points in the paint, maybe shoot the three. Seattle has Brent Barry as a supporting shooter, and he's insane from three, like .400+ every single year. For a lot of teams, that's the sidekick's overall FG%.

But, still, most of the time a team isn't shooting a three. And there are more long rebounds with the three-ball, which might put some fastbreak salt on a porous D's wounds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The three point line has ruined the NBA, because of it there's not many players can hit the midrange jumpshot. I would love if the NBA got rid of the three point line.

Oh yeah and ZONE DEFENSE sucks too.:upset:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
the sonics are good at shooting the 3's, their downfall if they have any, is their ineptness in the middle. they really could have used collison this year to fill in at the 4/5 spots. i dont have a problem with a lot of 3's.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>rainman</b>!
the sonics are good at shooting the 3's, their downfall if they have any, is their ineptness in the middle. they really could have used collison this year to fill in at the 4/5 spots. i dont have a problem with a lot of 3's.
I haven't thought about Collison in a while. He would have provided a low post option. I forgot about him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.