Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/locke/157438_locke21.asp

Vladimir Radmanovic as a power forward was worth a try. It was a good effort to hide from the reality that Rashard Lewis and Radmanovic are redundant.

However, after half an NBA season, it is clear a lineup with Lewis as your small forward and Radmanovic as your power forward is actually a lineup of two small forwards. That's a lineup that isn't going to cut it.

They are too similar as players. They are similar physically (both are 6-foot-10, though Radmanovic is 20 pounds heavier) and in their style of games.

Nearing the midpoint of the 2003-04 season, the Sonics are treading water with two natural small forwards -- Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovich -- in the starting lineup. What should the team do?

Trade Vladimir Radmanovic
Trade Rashard Lewis
Trade both players
Keep both players

They are players you would love to keep. However, the NBA is about acquiring pieces that complete a puzzle. These two pieces fit into the same hole.

With the trade deadline less than a month away and the Sonics floundering around .500, it is time for team president Wally Walker and general manager Rick Sund to make the next tough decision confronting the Sonics organization.
This is a really interesting read and scouting report on both players. Reading between the lines, I tend to think the guy is making a little stronger case for Radmanovic, although as he says that's easy to do now with Lewis slumping.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
We should make a play for Rashard Lewis. Crawford,Curry,Erob,Jeffries for Lewis,Murray,Daniels,Potapenko sounds like a good match.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I would love to get Rashard. Paxson showed some interest in him this past summer.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
We should make a play for Rashard Lewis. Crawford,Curry,Erob,Jeffries for Lewis,Murray,Daniels,Potapenko sounds like a good match.
Say what you will, I think that Tyson at the 4 is much more easily replaced than Curry at the 5. I'd do that trade if Tyson included instead of Curry.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I hear you but they need a back to the basket post scorer therefore they would be more interested in Curry. I would hope we get could get Okafor in the draft to replace Curry.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
thats INSANE :laugh:

Curry,Jyd for lewis is all it should take anything more is overkill for both teams

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
How about....

Jamal, eRob, and Curry for Shard Lewis and Nick Collison? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
How about....

Jamal, eRob, and Curry for Shard Lewis and Nick Collison? Just a thought.
But then the sonics have

allen
Barry
Flip
Jamal
Ridnour

all playing same positions

I would think if we gave up a Center for a sf we should only have to give up salary to match.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Not bad SD although I would want at least one guard(maybe two if they would give us Frahm), either Daniels or Murray as well since we are giving them Crawford.

JC,Erob,Curry for Lewis,Daniels,Frahm,Collison aint bad at all

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Locke is a bit of a Lewis 'basher'. He wrote an article a while back saying Rashard isn't even a #2 option. He's also been critical of Lewis on his radio show. :no: While he makes some good points about Rad and Lewis, I wouldn't take his opinion as that of the Sonics front office.

As for the comparison...It seems a lot more even now than it has in the past. Radman's been on fire this month. He's been much more agressive on offense, scoring pretty consistently and shooting a high percentage. His defense and rebounding have been good recently too. Rashard on the other hand has been playing bad recently, only averaging around 16 ppg on 40% shooting. His defense in particular has been horrible recently, Van Horn and Robinson had big games against him. :(

But, If you go back to the end of last month, Rashard was averaging 20+ ppg on 50% shooting, while Radman was only putting up 10 ppg on 37% shooting.

So really, I don't know who to choose...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, whatever we do, lets not trade Crawford...especially to Seattle! :rolleyes:

Afterall, he's probably so paranoid that a deal like this might actually happen that he made a statement to the press about being reluctant to return to his home town:

"I've been thinking about it,'' said Crawford, who is Curry's best friend, "and it might be hard for me to go home to Seattle and play right now, and I've been in the league for four years. And he's right out of high school, so there's more pressure on him.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull21.html

Imagine that! JC might not want to play in Seattle. Based on everything we've seen and heard that makes no sense at all. Isn't he the guy who still has his watch set to Seattle time?

Maybe a deal's close afterall. :whoknows:

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno, I'm kind of inclined to side with the guy writing the article.

Shard is in a heavy-duty slump. Look at the guys who've been shutting him down... almost everyone. Would he really be worth Curry?

To me Crawford and Murray is probably a push in terms of talent.

I think I'd try for Allen if we want to offer up Curry and Crawford.

As a fallback, I'd offer something like Curry + ERob for Flip, Vlad, and Booth or Potapenko.

That would at least give us something on the order of a two for 1 deal in terms of talent (Vlad and Flip both).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I saw that CB and it did shock me especially him saying goem home to Seattle and play RIGHT NOW like something is imminent. I dunno.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

Shard is in a heavy-duty slump. Look at the guys who've been shutting him down... almost everyone. Would he really be worth Curry?
Mike, you're right about Lewis being in a slump. And we here in Chicago know all about shooting slumps, don't we? :grinning:

But despite his current problems he's still shooting 44%/38% for the season and his career averages are 47%/39%. My money's on a guy with a proven track record like Lewis rediscovering his touch eventually. And imagine the kind of looks he'd get if he actually got to play on a team with a decent post player or two.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!
Yeah, whatever we do, lets not trade Crawford...especially to Seattle! :rolleyes:

Afterall, he's probably so paranoid that a deal like this might actually happen that he made a statement to the press about being reluctant to return to his home town:

"I've been thinking about it,'' said Crawford, who is Curry's best friend, "and it might be hard for me to go home to Seattle and play right now, and I've been in the league for four years. And he's right out of high school, so there's more pressure on him.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull21.html

Imagine that! JC might not want to play in Seattle. Based on everything we've seen and heard that makes no sense at all. Isn't he the guy who still has his watch set to Seattle time?

Maybe a deal's close afterall. :whoknows:
I don't get it.

If he's really wanted to play there all along, why would he say something now to try and scuttle a trade?

Could it just be that >gasp< he sincerely had a change of heart now that he sees Eddy floundering? Or if he just doesn't want to be traded and wants to play for the Bulls, is that such a bad thing either?

What's the ulterior motive here? Could someone spell it out? :)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!

Mike, you're right about Lewis being in a slump. And we here in Chicago know all about shooting slumps, don't we? :grinning:

But despite his current problems he's still shooting 44%/38% for the season and his career averages are 47%/39%. My money's on a guy with a proven track record like Lewis rediscovering his touch eventually. And imagine the kind of looks he'd get if he actually got to play on a team with a decent post player or two.
I agree that he's not crappy or anything for sure, but he looks like a 2nd fiddle to me. And are the Bulls really going to have a decent post player if we trade Eddy to get Rashard? It's not like Tyson's unrefined game and AD's ugly looking jumper are going to command lots of respect.

I'm afraid that he'll be in about the same boat here as in Seattle. A good second fiddle, but not quite a leading man. Except in Seattle they've got Ray Allen to be the leading man. Here we'll just be heaping more unfulfillable expectations on him.

And man, his defense is not very good. And I'm not that sure how tough he is. I guess I'm just not sure he's worth Curry. I'm almost positive he's not worth Curry + Crawford.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts

He doesn't normally get locked down often, he's just been in a shooting slump recently.

He's had very good games against some stronger defenders this season. In the two games against Maggette, he put up 25 pts then 50 pts. Against Marion he put up 22 pts, 13 rebs and 27 pts, 13 rebs in the two games against the Suns. He's also had 30+ pt games against the Pistons and Grizzlies, both have pretty good SF defenders. I think the only guys who have locked him down are Artest/Harrington, Bowen and KG.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!

He doesn't normally get locked down often, he's just been in a shooting slump recently.

He's had very good games against some stronger defenders this season. In the two games against Maggette, he put up 25 pts then 50 pts. Against Marion he put up 22 pts, 13 rebs and 27 pts, 13 rebs in the two games against the Suns. He's also had 30+ pt games against the Pistons and Grizzlies, both have pretty good SF defenders. I think the only guys who have locked him down are Artest/Harrington, Bowen and KG.
How's his D? When I see guys like Van Horn torching someone I get scared :)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

I don't get it.

If he's really wanted to play there all along, why would he say something now to try and scuttle a trade?

Could it just be that >gasp< he sincerely had a change of heart now that he sees Eddy floundering? Or if he just doesn't want to be traded and wants to play for the Bulls, is that such a bad thing either?

What's the ulterior motive here? Could someone spell it out? :)
My take of the Suntimes article is that Jamal was comparing Eddy's struggles playing in his hometown to how he might face similar struggles moving back home to Seattle. I don't think the quote was triggered by a suggestion of a trade there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts