Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One "slight" misprint, though. Ahhhh, well.... ;)

.....In Telfair’s defense, it was a complicated situation. He claimed that he had mistakenly found the gun in an overnight Louis Vuitton bag. (Telfair usually has one in his possession nearly every time he leaves the Rose Garden.) The bag was his wife’s. The gun was registered in her name.....

.....So how did Telfair pull it back together? How did he get back to being Bassy?

“I talked to my family. My mom and my brothers and my girlfriend,” Telfair said, with pride. “I talk to them every day. And I have a child now. So that helps. It allows me to go home and just forget about basketball for a while and relax.”...
However, I loved the ending... :yes:

........He continued, “It’s all been a reality check. But it’s also showed me how much I really do love the game. It’s like, I’m good friends with Chauney Billups. I worked out with him last summer. And he was telling me that it took him seven years to get to be the player that he is now. So, for me, I’m just going out there and playing like myself now. I’m being aggressive, on defense and on offense. And when I’m aggressive, it’s a lot easier. I’m going to the basket; I’m playing like how I play. Using my speed — I feel like it opens everything up for me. That’s my game.”
 

· Banned member
Joined
·
28,451 Posts
kaydow said:
Well, if it takes Teflair 7 years to become a good PG like Billups, I guess it will be somewhere else. Nobody here is interested in waiting that long.
speak for yourself. Im not delusional enough to think that a player will be perfect right off the bat, but that they'll hit their peak in about 7+ years.

Thats all that means, not that it'll be 7 years before he starts to even play good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
Hap said:
speak for yourself. Im not delusional enough to think that a player will be perfect right off the bat, but that they'll hit their peak in about 7+ years.

Thats all that means, not that it'll be 7 years before he starts to even play good.
You know what I mean Hap. Detroit was Billips 5th team by his 6th year. Who knew he could play like this? He looked like nothing more than a journeyman or b/u by the time he got to Detroit. His first 5 years were mediocre at best. I'm not giving up on Telfair yet. Just sayin' no team waits that long for a guy to develop.
 

· Banned member
Joined
·
28,451 Posts
kaydow said:
You know what I mean Hap. Detroit was Billips 5th team by his 6th year. Who knew he could play like this? He looked like nothing more than a journeyman or b/u by the time he got to Detroit. His first 5 years were mediocre at best. I'm not giving up on Telfair yet. Just sayin' no team waits that long for a guy to develop.
teams are often impatient (as fans are), and give up on players too soon, because they expect too much too soon.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,166 Posts
Hap said:
teams are often impatient (as fans are), and give up on players too soon, because they expect too much too soon.


cough....Jermaine Oneal....cough
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
mediocre man said:
cough....Jermaine Oneal....cough
NO! We traded our bench ridden O'Neal for All-Star Dale Davis who COULD play center against the real O'Neal (Shaq). Jermaine couldn't break into our rotation or beat out either Rasheed or Brian Grant. Remember, (I know it's hard) we were trying to win a championship; not rebuilding for the future yet.

We didn't give up on him. We just had to trade value for immediate help. By the way, how many trips to the finals has Jermaine made??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
NO! We traded our bench ridden O'Neal for All-Star Dale Davis who COULD play center against the real O'Neal (Shaq). Jermaine couldn't break into our rotation or beat out either Rasheed or Brian Grant. Remember, (I know it's hard) we were trying to win a championship; not rebuilding for the future yet.

We didn't give up on him. We just had to trade value for immediate help. By the way, how many trips to the finals has Jermaine made??
I thought it was a horrible trade then. I think so now. I complained loudly about it. So did a lot of other people who watched Davis play. Davis was never effective against Shaq.

A much better deal than trading Jerm for Davis plus Grant for Kemp would have been to simply let Grant walk and open up some time for Jermaine. I'm certain that combination of moves is Paul Allen's biggest regret in terms of listening to his hired experts. I guess it's just not in Whitsitt's nature or philosophy to let an asset go without getting some "value" in return.

I know Jermaine demanded to be traded and said he would not show up for training camp, but had the Blazers let Grant go he would have had plenty of minutes, and probably would have reconsidered. Besides, Sabas wasn't commanding that many minutes at center either.

Oh, well. Here we are.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
Clearly the O'Neal deal turned out poorly for Portland, but I don't think it's because we "gave up" on Jermaine. We have a window and Whitsitt thought that Kemp would be able to help our core get over the hump and into the finals. It didn't work out, but I think it was a good try.

Qyntel Woods is a guy that we gave up on. But it was for more than basketball-related reasons. He's showing that he's a player in NY but it'll be interesting to see if he can stay outta trouble.

Ed O.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
I recall O'Neal had just re-signed with us the year before IIRC. It wasn't about the contract.....just PT. But - he wasn't ready for PT. Even though he got all that time in IND after the trade he still didn't evolve as a player until the following season after the trade.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
I recall O'Neal had just re-signed with us the year before IIRC. It wasn't about the contract.....just PT. But - he wasn't ready for PT. Even though he got all that time in IND after the trade he still didn't evolve as a player until the following season after the trade.
Yes, I remember the say thing. He signed a contract before that season, I think a 4 year deal or somewhere around that. So it was all about playing time.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,166 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
NO! We traded our bench ridden O'Neal for All-Star Dale Davis who COULD play center against the real O'Neal (Shaq). Jermaine couldn't break into our rotation or beat out either Rasheed or Brian Grant. Remember, (I know it's hard) we were trying to win a championship; not rebuilding for the future yet.

We didn't give up on him. We just had to trade value for immediate help. By the way, how many trips to the finals has Jermaine made??

As stated by Jermaine, Rasheed, Brian Grant and other players on the team at that time, Jermaine Oneal used to dominate Wallace and Grant in practice every day. So tell me Mr. Sarcastic the part again about not being able to break into the rotation. That's all on the team, not him. Dale davis was an all-star in the Eastern Conference. At the time the JV league on the NBA with no true centers in it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,891 Posts
now theo is on our team hurt agian oh boy :(
 

· Banned member
Joined
·
28,451 Posts
goglik said:
How did Telfair topic, got into Jermaine and Theo?
Injure Telfair and give minutes to Jack. Then trade the short neck to the Cavs for Flip Murray.
yeah....thats a good idea.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top