Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one think that Telfair is an excellent player but definitely needs to go to college. He is however rated as a first round prospect for this year's draft. I am curious to know what you think about him going to the league?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The PG position is as much about the mind as about the skillls. PG's need the college game to develop, even if just for one year. You could make an argument that LeBron has been a successful PG his first year, but he is a different case.

I saw Telfair will go for one year and leave, ala his cousin Marbury.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
It looks like he will put his name in the draft to see where he will go - whether he jumps is another story. I'd bet he'll go to Louisville for one year, then go pro.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
If any of these high school guys gets a first-round guarantee, he jumps, no question. There are way too many players whose draft stock has plummeted because they didn't come on out when they should have, and lost a lot of money as a result. Some examples are Chris Marcus, Chris Duhon, Rick Rickert, and others. Prospects are terrified that they will lose millions if they don't declare as soon as possible, and that's why we see so many young guys entering the draft.

It all depends on whether they get a first-round guarantee, because first rounders get guaranteed millions while second rounders don't. Remember last year in the last month before the draft, Charlie Villanueva and James Lang fell to the second round. That's why Villanueva wisely went to college, while Lang stupidly jumped to the NBA. It seems that Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Shaun Livingston will go pro for sure, while Sebastian Telfair, LaMarcus Aldridge, Robert Swift, and Al Jefferson are up in the air depending on how they do in pre-draft workouts. I predict that one or two of those four will go pro, but I really have no idea which ones will jump and which ones will go to college.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
Robert Swift, and Al Jefferson are up in the air depending on how they do in pre-draft workouts.
From everything I've heard, it looks like they'll jump as well. I think Al could still go to college, but don't know if Swift can get the grades.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Rickert? I don't get it. He showed some skill in college and got picked out of pity. He definitely needed to stay.

He's one guy that the hype might be too harmful too. He's about as expected to jump to the pros and be stellar as anyone. I think he should do the one-and-done. What's so bad about college? You aren't prime at eighteen, anyway.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>!
What's so bad about college? You aren't prime at eighteen, anyway.
Its not that. These guys want the money NOW, they have "people" in they're ear all the time telling them HOW GREAT THEY ARE. Its sickening

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
What's so sickening about it? I would want the money NOW too if I knew there was a good chance that if I waited a couple of years, the money wouldn't be there anymore. It's not like these "people" are giving out bad advice -- when a guy truly isn't ready to jump, like James Lang or Omar Cook, they usually tell him not to jump. Those two guys jumped against all advice.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
James Lang was not eligible for college, he didn't have the grades or the SAT scores, he would have had to go to a Junior College. The only guy out of Junior College to get drafted into the NBA that I know of is Kedrick Brown and he is NOT impressive. Lang didn't have many options and just hoped for the best. I still think the kid will be someone down the road.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
What's so sickening about it? I would want the money NOW too if I knew there was a good chance that if I waited a couple of years, the money wouldn't be there anymore. It's not like these "people" are giving out bad advice -- when a guy truly isn't ready to jump, like James Lang or Omar Cook, they usually tell him not to jump. Those two guys jumped against all advice.
No whats sickening is people telling these guys that they are ready when its clear that they are not.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

No whats sickening is people telling these guys that they are ready when its clear that they are not.
i'm a believer that even if you leave when your not ready, you will still make it back to the league whether thru NBDL, summer league etc. Look at Frank WIlliams, if he left a year earlier he would've been lottery, instead he stayed an extra year and became last 1st round pick. There was interview on YES and Telfair pretty much said he's going to louisville for sure, but even if he doesnt, he'll make it in the league, sooner or later. Look at Omar Cook, yea he made a bad choice, but now he's ready and he's back and only 22.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Yeah, that's the biggest problem, kids having coaches/agents telling them they're better than they really are.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I for one doesn't want to see Telfair turn pro right from HS.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

It is true that there are people telling guys that they should go pro, when they aren't ready simply so they can make some $ off of them. But the fact is NBA scouts tell these players and their agents the truth, for fear of hurting future relationships. They tell the players if they will be drafted or they tell him "if this player isn't there we will take you", and then when that player is there you get players like Omar Cook who slip to the 2nd round when he thought he was a 1st rounder.

But Sebastian will be a pro next year, if by chance he doesn't go I feel bad for every team that plays against them, especially if Garcia doesn't go pro.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I am watching Telfair against Atlanta Christian (with Dwight Howard) and the kid is pretty good. He doesn't have the quickness of a Marcus Banks or TJ Ford, but he's quick enough. The closest comparison is Kenny Anderson, but Telfair is better now than Anderson was in college. Telfair really sees the floor and is very nifty off the dribble.

I'm always skeptical about a backcourt player going right from HS to the pros, but if anyone can do it, its Telfair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts