Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of last year rookies, who do yo think will "breakout"? I have a list here, please add or take away:

1. Richard Jefferson, SG/SF, NJ Nets- I have to say I love watching this guy play. He is a tremendous athlete who has a knack for hard-nose defense. I think he has all the compnents to make an allstar game one day. If he stays with Jason Kidd(unlikely) then who knows what might happen for this guy. Definately one of the most exciting dunkers of last years class. (Behind Richardson)

2. Gilbert Arenas, PG/SG, GS Warriors- Many people dont like this guy. He saw limited playing time last year, but when he actually did play, HE EARNED ROOKIE OF THE MONTH HONORS. That says alot, considering he averaged 20ppg, 5apg. Now that he has been named the warriors starting Point (barring no trades) he will see considerably more minutes, giving him a chance to bloom. Keep in mind he declared for the draft as a soph, he still has developing ahead of him, mentally, and physically.

3. Rodney White, SF, Detroit Pistons- I havent seen much of this guy play, definately not as much as the above two guys. But from what I have seen, he shows alot of signs that top tier players also exhibited in their early stages. I could go 50-50 on this guy but i just have a gut feeling about him. He looks to talented to disapear.

·
Registered
924 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHH...

You are forgeting the best canidate for a breakout year...EDDIE GRIFFIN. He played great this year when he started but I don't know why he got benched. He has a great inside-outside game. Good rebounder. Could be a top shot-blocker. Hopefully he can start over fat-boy Maurice Taylor who weighed in at 285 awhile ago.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yah, Griffin definetaly looks like a breakout candidate, and I would put Jason Richardson higher on that list than Arenas, maybe higher than Jefferson as well. He looks like he is going to become the leader of that young Warriors team and he could easily lead the team in scoring.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tony Parker, anyone? He's going to be great in the near future. :yes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a few..

Andrei Kirilenko- He proved that white men can jump. he has a great feel for the game and he just fills up box scores he can do it all, rebound, score, pass, block, steal

Out of the High Schoolers
Eddy Curry- Towards the end of the season last year he got more minutes and was proving that he was an offensive force i expect him to have a good season especially with the weak frontcourt the East has to offer.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i think Kwame Brown might put up some solid numbers. I'm not saying he will but he might. I think Griffin will be great. I also think that Shane Battier and Pau Gasol are jus gonna keep getting better and better.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Eddie Griffin
Eddy Curry
Jason Richardson
Tyson Chandler
Gilbert Arenas
Rodney White

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by Budweiser_Boy
I've also gotta say Eddie Griffin. But what about Zach Randolph?
Randolph will never have a breakout year with Wallace as the Blazers' starting PF. He'll never get enough playing time to be recognized as a good player. He'll be a player with "potential" for the next 5 years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tony Parker
Eddie Griffin

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by Spurs4Life

Randolph will never have a breakout year with Wallace as the Blazers' starting PF. He'll never get enough playing time to be recognized as a good player. He'll be a player with "potential" for the next 5 years. :rolleyes:
jermaine o'neal was that type of player also. somehow the blazers have a knack for scouting good talent but have an even better knack of not giving them minutes. i think erick barkley could be a good player if given the chance also.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys i didnt put on the list

I didnt put all these guys on the list for the same reason:

Jason Richardson
Shane Battier
Tyson Chandler
Eddy Curry

They were all HIGHLY touted coming to the league. I figured with all the hype they got, theyre kinda expected to be really good soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

Middy are you an Arizona fan. I am a die hard and also loved watching Richard Jefferson play and never got the chance to see Gilbert but I read as much as possible.

I'm hoping the do wel this co ming year.:grinning:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts