Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a list of the top 14 (the lottery selections in the upcoming draft) picks in 1998 and who I liken them to in next year's draft.

1998: Olowokandi
2006: Aldridge--Has a couple of NBA ready moves to make up for the difference in height. Definately the best big man prospect out of college in terms of expectations in the NBA. Has it all, but definately is a project.

1998: Bibby
2006: Randy Foye--probably more similar in style to White Chocolate (J. Will), but no other PG is worthy of a #2 pick in this upcoming draft. Offensively oriented and can finish in traffic. Good stroke on his outside shot. Leadership skills seem good at the collegiate level but probably need work at the next level.

1998: LaFrentz
2006: Josh McRoberts - Great shooter and can play both inside and outside. He has good footwork, but is not quick enough to play on the outside. He has the ability to put the ball on the floor, but his lack of quickness will most likely eliminate that skill at the next level.

1998: Jamison
2006: Morrison--outstanding shooter, but slow for his position which will impact his defensive effectiveness. Too small to play PF and not quick enough to hang with the elite wings. His shooting more than makes up for it, however.

1998: Vince Carter
2006: Rudy Gay--Plays above the rim and with great energy. Good passer and rebounder for his size. He can play in the post and not be pushed around. Great energy throughout the game (remember Vince before his effort was in question)

1998: "Tractor" Traylor
2006: Glen Davis--The only wide body likely to be a lottery pick.

1998: Jason Williams
2006: Rajon Rondo--Lightning quick and has extremely good handles with the ability to get into the paint at will. Has a scorers mentality and his jump shot has improved. Needs to work on leading a team and his understanding of the game needs improvement.

1998: Larry Hughes
2006: Brandon Roy--Does everything well but does nothing spectacular. Lacks size but is a tremendous athlete.

1998: Nowitzki
2006: Bargnani--comparison is already there but Andrea might slip this low due to lack of actual playing experience.

1998: Pierce
2006: Rodney Carney--With Gay, the most athletic wing in the draft. Jump shot has improved but still forces shots. Great elevation on his jumper. Blankets defenders with his long arms and quick feet. Must become better at handling the ball and lacks great vision and passing ability, although not poor at any area.

1998: Bonzi Wells
2006: Ronnie Brewer--Not a perfect comparison but is versatile and is probably strongest guard in the upcoming draft. Not a great spot up shooter but makes most of his buckets moving towards the basket.

1998: Doleac
2006: Patrick O'Bryant--Great size and not afraid of contact. Needs to add strength despite liking to bang down low. Would expect him to be a better rebounder for his size.

1998: Keon Clark
2006: Hilton Armstrong--Good size and strength. He can hit an open shot and block shots. His basketball IQ seems high, but he lacks polish mainly due to a lack of playing time. Good rebounder, but would need to add muscle and weight to play Center.

1998: Dickerson
2006: J.J. Reddick--Again, not a perfect comparison. Has a great shot from the outside. However, nothing really stands out other than his shooting. Is undersized, below average athletic ability, and probably can't contribute a lot in other ways outside of hitting shots. Would be great to come off the bench on a good team, but could be a starter on a poor team needing someone to take some shots.

NOTE: I couldn't find a good lottery comparison for Tyrus Thomas. I'd expect him to be in the lottery over someone else if he declares.

· Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
The Pierce, Carter and Jamison comparisons may be a bit off. Gay is surely not Vinsanity just yet, while Morrison doesn't really resemble Jamison. He's a far better and quicker scorer, but not with that high-flying athleticism and strong post game that characterized Antawn coming into the league.

Carney to Pierce... it's the first time I've ever thought about it, and it's similar in style, but just not up there in talent.

Foye and Bibby is interesting, though. Aldridge and Olowokandi, I hope and pray not, as we are likely to take Aldridge for ourselves with that Knicks pick, if he's available. I just heard a pastor at my church preach an illustration of getting swindled and deceived by referring to his passion for the Clips and his horror after watching Olowokandi the first time he played in the preseason. All the hype, nothing to show for it. Kareem Abdul-Jabar was brought in to coach this guy in the offseason. He was supposed to be the next Shaq.

Aldridge looks a lot more like Shareef or even maybe like Tim Duncan (not as fundamental or with as great footwork, but as solid as an option in the post and a fierce defender).

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Showtyme said:
The Pierce, Carter and Jamison comparisons may be a bit off. Gay is surely not Vinsanity just yet, while Morrison doesn't really resemble Jamison. He's a far better and quicker scorer, but not with that high-flying athleticism and strong post game that characterized Antawn coming into the league.

Carney to Pierce... it's the first time I've ever thought about it, and it's similar in style, but just not up there in talent.

Foye and Bibby is interesting, though. Aldridge and Olowokandi, I hope and pray not, as we are likely to take Aldridge for ourselves with that Knicks pick, if he's available. I just heard a pastor at my church preach an illustration of getting swindled and deceived by referring to his passion for the Clips and his horror after watching Olowokandi the first time he played in the preseason. All the hype, nothing to show for it. Kareem Abdul-Jabar was brought in to coach this guy in the offseason. He was supposed to be the next Shaq.

Aldridge looks a lot more like Shareef or even maybe like Tim Duncan (not as fundamental or with as great footwork, but as solid as an option in the post and a fierce defender).
I was attempting to compare these guys compared to how we viewed the prospects coming out of college in 98, not how the 06 squad would compare to how the 98 draft players panned out. It's not a linear comparison, obviously, it's just a lot of prospects in next year's draft reminded me of a lot of players coming out of that draft. That's including not seeing a consensus #1 pick. An interesting note would be to see that there were a number of nice players that came out in the 98 draft.

My intention was definately not trying to compare these players to how I expect their NBA careers to pan out. To me, there just seemed to be a lot of similar skills of guys coming out this year compared to how they were viewed coming out in 1998.

I expect Aldridge to be better to Olowakandi and Foye to be worse than Bibby... etc, etc...

· Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
Rhyder said:
I was attempting to compare these guys compared to how we viewed the prospects coming out of college in 98, not how the 06 squad would compare to how the 98 draft players panned out. It's not a linear comparison, obviously, it's just a lot of prospects in next year's draft reminded me of a lot of players coming out of that draft. That's including not seeing a consensus #1 pick. An interesting note would be to see that there were a number of nice players that came out in the 98 draft.

My intention was definately not trying to compare these players to how I expect their NBA careers to pan out. To me, there just seemed to be a lot of similar skills of guys coming out this year compared to how they were viewed coming out in 1998.

I expect Aldridge to be better to Olowakandi and Foye to be worse than Bibby... etc, etc...
But I think even in 1998, many people had the feeling that this was going to be an insane draft year. Carter made huge waves in the draft, as did Pierce (people were sort of shocked to see him fall). I can't point to two players that anyone thinks will be as good as people thought those two would be. People actually thought Roshown McLeod was going to be pretty solid, as well as Larry Hughes (I remember how much hype he got going to Philly). I'd put our guys more in that range of expectation.

In terms of the comparisons in playing styles, though, there's definitely some resemblance.

· The Snake
6,519 Posts
By the way I don't know how many people have watched some LSU here, but Glen "Big Baby" Davis isn't a big stiff like Traylor. He can shoot the J out to 15 and from the 5 or 6 games I've seen is extremely mobile moving across the lane and on the block. I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Tyson.

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T.Shock said:
By the way I don't know how many people have watched some LSU here, but Glen "Big Baby" Davis isn't a big stiff like Traylor. He can shoot the J out to 15 and from the 5 or 6 games I've seen is extremely mobile moving across the lane and on the block. I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Tyson.
To be fair, Traylor wasn't a stiff coming out of college. Remember Dallas drafted him and traded him for Dirk.

However, I made the wide body comment because they aren't too similar in terms of style.

· The Snake
6,519 Posts
Rhyder said:
To be fair, Traylor wasn't a stiff coming out of college. Remember Dallas drafted him and traded him for Dirk.

However, I made the wide body comment because they aren't too similar in terms of style.
I'm a huge Michigan fan and Traylor had some moments and I know comparisons aren't usually dead-on, but Davis just seems tons more agile and overall a better player than Traylor ever was. By the way that LSU team is really nice to watch between the two Mitchells, Tyrus, and Big Baby.

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T.Shock said:
...and I know comparisons aren't usually dead-on...
No doubt. My favorite comparison of the guys I listed was Roy to Hughes. My least favorite was Morrison to Jamison.

Morrison is so oddly unique, that comparing him to anyone of this era would be tough. Maybe Kyle Korver with fire and intensity?

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Foye is nothing like Bibby. Bibby was the engine of that Arizona team for two years and has a high BBall IQ.

· Registered
21 Posts
T.Shock said:
I've only seen Davis a handful of games but considering this is supposed to be his best year conditioning wise, he has a long way to go before he can play 30+ minutes in the big show.

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HKF said:
Foye is nothing like Bibby. Bibby was the engine of that Arizona team for two years and has a high BBall IQ.
I do think that Foye is underrated and will be the best PG out of this year's draft. That said, there really aren't much in the way of direct comparisons outside of an improving outside shot, an offensive minded point, and both have a quick release on their shot. Foye is much more the athlete, and Bibby definately has a large lead in the basketball IQ department.

Bibby and Jamison were the two toughest comparisons to come up with from the 1998 draft, because there isn't a PG in this draft worthy of a top 3 pick and no one is really similar at all to Jamison's skillset.

· Registered
3,812 Posts
HKF said:
I'm pretty sure that was Miles Simon's team!!!

Bibby just ended up coming up clutch. GRRR! DAMN YOU BIBBY! YOU MADE MILES SIMON DISAPPEAR!

If you hadn't figured it out, Simon was my favorite college player.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.