Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread in the main forum, and someone mentioned that KG has only missed 13 games in 10 years (and only 3 games in the last 6 yrs). He has played around 30,000 minutes at the age of 29, and has averaged 20 ppg/11 rpg/4.6 apg/1.4 spg/1.7 bpg over his career, playing 38.2 mpg. It is truly astonishing what he's been able to do in his career, and I would say his endurance alone is unparalled in contemporary basketball, esp for a big man.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ToddMacCulloch11

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Reminds me of Karl Malone. Iron men are pretty rare these days, it's even more amazing considering how many minutes he puts in each game (I think he lead the lague last year in minutes? Or if not at least one of the leaders).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,166 Posts
Aurelino said:
I was reading a thread in the main forum, and someone mentioned that KG has only missed 13 games in 10 years (and only 3 games in the last 6 yrs). He has played around 30,000 minutes at the age of 29, and has averaged 20 ppg/11 rpg/4.6 apg/1.4 spg/1.7 bpg over his career, playing 38.2 mpg. It is truly astonishing what he's been able to do in his career, and I would say his endurance alone is unparalled in contemporary basketball, esp for a big man.
I suggest you look at Cliff Robinson's numbers if you want to see a very similar, if not greater, example of endurance. Also, Karl Malone had similar numbers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
NetIncome said:
I suggest you look at Cliff Robinson's numbers if you want to see a very similar, if not greater, example of endurance. Also, Karl Malone had similar numbers.
How many games has Cliffy missed in the last 6 years? More than 3, I would say, and has he averaged 38+ mpg in those years?
Regardless, how many players currently in the nba have the endurance that is comparable to Malone's (or Cliffy's )? Makes KG's achievements very-very special.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
69,618 Posts
When i saw those stats on TNT yesterday i was amazed. At 29 playing that huge amount of minutes is ridiculous. Then again he did come into the league very early
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
I had noted that a few days weeks ago. Missing slighty more than a game per season is amazing.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,166 Posts
Aurelino said:
How many games has Cliffy missed in the last 6 years? More than 3, I would say, and has he averaged 38+ mpg in those years?
Regardless, how many players currently in the nba have the endurance that is comparable to Malone's ? Makes KG's achievements very-very special.
In the first 15 years of his career, Robinson missed 13 games. During that 15-year-period, Robinson averaged better than 34 minutes. Obviously, the last several years have seen Cliffy take a seat on the bench.

In the first 18 years of his career, Malone missed 10 games. During that 18-year-period, Malone averaged better than 38 minutes.

In both cases, I believe two of the missed games were due not to illness or injury but to suspensions by the league.

KG is indeed a great example of endurance but he is not the only one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NetIncome said:
In the first 15 years of his career, Robinson missed 13 games. During that 15-year-period, Robinson averaged better than 34 minutes. Obviously, the last several years have seen Cliffy take a seat on the bench.

In the first 18 years of his career, Malone missed 10 games. During that 18-year-period, Malone averaged better than 38 minutes.

In both cases, I believe two of the missed games were due not to illness or injury but to suspensions by the league.

KG is indeed a great example of endurance but he is not the only one.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said in "contemporary basketball." I don't regard Malone or Cliffy as contemporary anymore. More like ancient :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Petey

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
thats amazing considering he only went deep in the playoffs once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,452 Posts
Aurelino said:
Yes, that's what I meant when I said in "contemporary basketball." I don't regard Malone or Cliffy as contemporary anymore. More like ancient :)
Malone and Cliffy aren't ancient.

Not being the only player does not devalue the accomplishment.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Air Fly said:
Why so many KG topics? this belong Here :biggrin:
Haha, Air Fly checking out his potentially new home!

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,734 Posts
Petey said:
Haha, Air Fly checking out his potentially new home!

-Petey
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one Petey! :biggrin:

Just kidding, Air Fly. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
NetIncome said:
In the first 15 years of his career, Robinson missed 13 games. During that 15-year-period, Robinson averaged better than 34 minutes. Obviously, the last several years have seen Cliffy take a seat on the bench.

In the first 18 years of his career, Malone missed 10 games. During that 18-year-period, Malone averaged better than 38 minutes.

In both cases, I believe two of the missed games were due not to illness or injury but to suspensions by the league.

KG is indeed a great example of endurance but he is not the only one.
No, in the first 15 years of his career, Cliffy missed 19 games (7 in 1994-95, 4 in 1995-96, 1 in 1996-97, 2 in 1997-98, 2 in 1999-2000, 2 in 2001-02 and 1 in 2002-03).
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top