Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/greg-oden-brandon-roy-what-what-happened/

From Greg Oden’s Report of Findings September 24, 2008:

Based upon the analysis, our recommendation is the following:

• Increase Overall Hamstring Strength
• Increase R hamstring and Glute Strength
• Improve R leg explosiveness
• Increase L Gastroc, Soleus, Glute, Hamstring and Quad Flexibility
•Consider a more efficient shoe designed to lift the entire foot to improve normal leg stride.

In Greg’s case, every exercise or target area needing improvement on his list required slow, yet focused repetitions. If Greg was asked to walk, run, squat or jump, he placed more of the load on his left leg than his weaker right leg. I informed the medical staff that this overload would put Greg at risk for a major acute injury to his left leg. Greg’s imbalance was so distinct that I even advised that staff that if he didn’t improve the weaknesses in the short-term and continue some of the rehab-like exercises for the entire season, his career could be at risk.

And you can believe it or not, but the medical staff laughed off my recommendations. In fact, we spent nearly two hours at dinner with the medical staff questioning my results and looking for reasons to discredit the results rather than search for solutions to keep the team’s multimillion dollar athlete on the court. At one point, one member of the medical staff informed me that Greg suffered from a true anatomical leg length shortness on the right side. As a result of that diagnosis, Greg had been prescribed, by physicians, to wear a heel lift in his right shoe. Well doc, I hate to be the one to tell you again, but the heel lift actually increases the load and the amount of anterior/posterior shear (forward/backward sliding) on Greg’s right knee, contributing to his need to undergo several micro-fracture surgeries.
Much more at the article. A very interesting read.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have looked a little more into the story and the Blazers deny what the author was saying and accused the author of writing the story in the interest of self-promotion. As with all of these he said/she said type cases, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
This is a very interesting article. It should probably be in the NBA General Forum, though. It doesn't really affect the Bulls directly in any way. Can we get it moved?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
This is a very interesting article. It should probably be in the NBA General Forum, though. It doesn't really affect the Bulls directly in any way. Can we get it moved?
Just start a new thread with it there if you'd like to discuss it there as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Normally I'd say yes to giving him a shot but I have no faith in our medical staff so for his sake I hope he goes to Phoenix.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Just start a new thread with it there if you'd like to discuss it there as well. Thanks!
At the very least, make a copy of it there.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This does pertain to the Bulls forum as we have had a lot of discussion this year about the quality of our own medical staff vs. all the injuries we have suffered.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
This does pertain to the Bulls forum as we have had a lot of discussion this year about the quality of our own medical staff vs. all the injuries we have suffered.
So copy it.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Let's cool it on the bickering. Work together.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
I think we all worked together nicely on this. No bickering at all.

I cannot move threads from the Bulls forum to the General NBA forum, btw.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I think we all worked together nicely on this. No bickering at all.

I cannot move threads from the Bulls forum to the General NBA forum, btw.

Oh, sure, I know. I wasn't trying to be prickly. I was just saying you could go start a new thread on the general board linking to the same article. I agree it definitely merits discussion there as well! Pretty fascinating stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts