Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. LA Lakers - until someone knocks them off...
2. Sacramento - they will continue to close the gap
3. San Antonio - with offseason additions, we have a top 3, not a top 2.
4. Dallas - defensive issues keep them from moving higher

5. New Jersey - did everything they needed to do to stay on top in the east
6. Portland - As long as the resign Bonzi Wells...
7. New Orleans - New Jersey's biggest compeition out east
8. Minnesota - Won't slip as far as people think...
9. Detroit - Another solid backcourt scorer, and this team is real tough...
10. Indiana - Should be much improved in 2002-03. Very deep.
11. Boston - PG issues & general improvement of EC drops Celts back to the middle of the pack

12. Utah - The ageless duo has another year...
13. Toronto - A healthy Vince Carter will keep this team in the hunt...
14. LA Clippers - I'm not sold that this team is playoff ready, but the talent is there...
15. Milwaukee - Addition by subtraction. I can't imagine this team missing the playoffs two straight years.
16. Phoenix - another young, talented team.
17. Houston - Health is a huge issue. This team is very young, but versatile...
18. Philadelphia - Larry Brown is tinkering way too much...
19. New York - A playoff team on paper...
20. Orlando - Even if Hill manages to play a few games, where are the big men?
21. Seattle - they move up if they resign Lewis
22. Miami - Is there life in this team? Is that Pat Riley's upper lip twitching?

23. Atlanta - A bunch of players who have put up good numbers on bad teams
24. Washington - How much can Jordan do this year?
25. Chicago - A bit more veteran help for the youngsters this year...
26. Golden State - I don't see how this team meshes at all...
27. Memphis- Some talent, but all at the same position...
28. Cleveland - Not this year...
29. Denver - The future may be bright, but the present is ugly...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Are these your ratings? They seem about fair and accurate.

-Petey

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Orlando is kinda low for my taste, and Detroit is mighty high IMO. Overall, I think your rankings are much better than the Foxsports.com guy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah Orlando should probably be like 17th or 16th.

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Bulls will be at least 20th this year...they are out of the bottom of the barrell for sure. Jay, Donyell, Rose and the two youngsters with a year of experience plus a nice bench, at least a 30 win year from Chicago...

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Memphis is way too low. That is where they were last year. And you are telling me that a year of experience to rookies and the addition of Drew Gooden wont do anything. Not to mention Gasol gaining mussel, Dickerson and Wright coming off of injurie seasons.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
1. Sacramento Kings - Simply the best team. Returns great team + Keon Clark
2. LA Lakers - Kobe and Shaq. 'Nuff Said.
3. Dallas Mavericks - The most exciting, and best offensive team.
4. San Antonio Spurs - Getting old, this is their last year to be top 5 or so
5. New Jersey Nets - Jason Kidd is a winner everywhere he goes.
6. New Orleans Hornets - VERY good team, could win the East this year.
7. Detroit Pistons - Same team from last year, but added Billups
8. Boston Celtics - Shammond Williams is a bit of a question mark at PG
9. LA Clippers - Will challenge for best team in LA....Dre Miller puts them in the top 10.
10. Portland Trailblazers - The Deepest team in the L.
11. Milwaukee Bucks - still have 2 studs, but not as good as last year
12. Houston Rockets - Great backcourt, with budding young stars Griffin and Ming.
13. Indiana Pacers - Another very deep team. This could be a sleeper team.
14. Toronto Raptors - Could go higher, depends on if Vince is healthy.
15. Atlanta Hawks - The best frontcourt in the league.
16. Seattle Sonics - They will be lower if Lewis goes elsewhere
17. Orlando Magic - Question mark team....depends on injuries.
18. Utah Jazz- Probably lower, this team is losing everyone.
19. Phoenix Suns - 2 stars, and Joe Johnson could be good.
20. Minnesota T-Wolves - Losing Billups hurts...they have no real PG.
21. Memphis Grizzlies
22. Chicago Bulls
23. Golden State Warriors
24. Miami Heat
25. Philadelphia 76ers
26. Washington Wizards
27. New York Knicks
28. Denver Nuggets
29. Cleveland Cavaliers

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Re: Re: September Power Rankings

Originally posted by <b>mduke</b>!
My predictions for now......will come back and put reasons why a little later.

1. Sacramento Kings
2. LA Lakers
3. Dallas Mavericks
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. New Jersey Nets
6. New Orleans Hornets
7. Detroit Pistons
8. Boston Celtics
9. LA Clippers
10. Portland Trailblazers
11. Milwaukee Bucks
12. Houston Rockets
13. Indiana Pacers
14. Toronto Raptors
15. Atlanta Hawks
16. Seattle Sonics
17. Orlando Magic
18. Utah Jazz
19. Phoenix Suns
20. Minnesota T-Wolves
21. Memphis Grizzlies
22. Chicago Bulls
24. Miami Heat
25. Philadelphia 76ers
26. Washington Wizards
27. New York Knicks
28. Denver Nuggets
29. Cleveland Cavaliers
That's pretty accurate.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
I would have to argue Miami would be alot higher than the spots you all have them at

we got Caron Butler and a solid bench-if we get a PG we COULD make a playoff push-maybe

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Re: Re: September Power Rankings

Originally posted by <b>mduke</b>!
1. Sacramento Kings - Simply the best team. Returns great team + Keon Clark
2. LA Lakers - Kobe and Shaq. 'Nuff Said.
3. Dallas Mavericks - The most exciting, and best offensive team.
4. San Antonio Spurs - Getting old, this is their last year to be top 5 or so
5. New Jersey Nets - Jason Kidd is a winner everywhere he goes.
6. New Orleans Hornets - VERY good team, could win the East this year.
7. Detroit Pistons - Same team from last year, but added Billups
8. Boston Celtics - Shammond Williams is a bit of a question mark at PG
9. LA Clippers - Will challenge for best team in LA....Dre Miller puts them in the top 10.
10. Portland Trailblazers - The Deepest team in the L.
11. Milwaukee Bucks - still have 2 studs, but not as good as last year
12. Houston Rockets - Great backcourt, with budding young stars Griffin and Ming.
13. Indiana Pacers - Another very deep team. This could be a sleeper team.
14. Toronto Raptors - Could go higher, depends on if Vince is healthy.
15. Atlanta Hawks - The best frontcourt in the league.
16. Seattle Sonics - They will be lower if Lewis goes elsewhere
17. Orlando Magic - Question mark team....depends on injuries.
18. Utah Jazz- Probably lower, this team is losing everyone.
19. Phoenix Suns - 2 stars, and Joe Johnson could be good.
20. Minnesota T-Wolves - Losing Billups hurts...they have no real PG.
21. Memphis Grizzlies
22. Chicago Bulls
24. Miami Heat
25. Philadelphia 76ers
26. Washington Wizards
27. New York Knicks
28. Denver Nuggets
29. Cleveland Cavaliers
I think the Wolves, Blazers, Clipps, and Pacers are all better than Detroit and the Blazers, Clipps, and Pacers are better than Boston. I don't think the Wolves downgraded from Billups to Hudson.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
The Atlanta Hawks are top 16 in my mind for sure...Terry, Big-Dog, Rahim, and Ratliff is a hell of a lineup.:yes:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
I would have to argue Miami would be alot higher than the spots you all have them at

we got Caron Butler and a solid bench-if we get a PG we COULD make a playoff push-maybe
Yeah, but that's a big IF. IF the Knicks get a good center they could make a finals run, but it ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!
Memphis is way too low. That is where they were last year. And you are telling me that a year of experience to rookies and the addition of Drew Gooden wont do anything. Not to mention Gasol gaining mussel, Dickerson and Wright coming off of injurie seasons.
I honestly don't see Memphis improving too much. There is a lot of indiviudal talent, but no experience in actually winning basketball games. A lot of young talent with little experience, and some veterans who have put up some decent numbers on very bad teams.

Jay Williams is still a daily question mark at PG, and Gasol/Swift/Battier/Gooden can't all play at the same time. Dickerson is quite overrated, and Wright seems to always be injured. They are quite a bit deeper, but I don't think that's enough to push them up too far in the very competitive West. I forsee 25-30 wins.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!

I agree that Miami could make the playoffs - If you look at my original rankings, I tried to group the teams by leaving a blank line where I saw a significant drop off. The first teams are serious championship contenders; the next teams are safe bets to make the playoffs. After this is a group of teams that I feel have a chance at making the postseason. I feel Utah has a better chance than Miami, but Miami still has a chance.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blabla97</b>!

I honestly don't see Memphis improving too much. There is a lot of indiviudal talent, but no experience in actually winning basketball games. A lot of young talent with little experience, and some veterans who have put up some decent numbers on very bad teams.

Jay Williams is still a daily question mark at PG, and Gasol/Swift/Battier/Gooden can't all play at the same time. Dickerson is quite overrated, and Wright seems to always be injured. They are quite a bit deeper, but I don't think that's enough to push them up too far in the very competitive West. I forsee 25-30 wins.
Actually their Staring Line-Up next season will most likely be this -

C - Pau Gasol
PF - Stromile Swift
SF - Drew Gooden
SG - Shane Battier
PG - Jason Williams

So really they all can play at the same time. As a matter of fact they can all START at the same time. Dickerson is underrated. He got injured at the begging of the season last year. Before that he was the Grizzlies leading scorer and my favorite player on that team. He will only be backing up this year so stop putting him down. He can dunk like crazy! Also, Lorenzen Wright would have lead the league in rebouns, but he was injured for too many games. One game he got 30+ points and 20+ rebounds. He will also be coming off the bench this year with Knight and Person.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
1. Los Angeles Lakers: To be THE team you have to beat THE team.

2. Sacramento Kings: This is the team with the best shot at beating the Lakers, plus they added Keon Clark.

3. San Antonio Spurs: DRob's last hurrah, Duncan is a pretty good player.

4. Dallas Mavericks: The Real Big 3: Nowitzki, Nash, Finley, plus plenty of support.

5. New Jersey Nets: Adding Deke will help loads, but still they are not ahead of the West. Also, who will score?

6. Portland Trailblazers: The return of the best passing big man.

7. Detroit Pistons: All they did was take a Central Division championship team and add a legitimate PG and a PF that can shoot and rebound.

8. New Orleans Hornets: Without injuries this team might be the best in the East.

9. Minnesota TWolves: Their inability to win a first round series should push them lower than here, but KG is one of the best players in the game and Brandon should be back near 100%.

10. Toronto Raptors: They almost advanced out of the first round without VC, what can they do with him?

11. Utah Jazz: This puts them right where they should be: around 7th or 8th in the West.

12. Seattle Supersonics: They were a playoff team last year. Losing Baker helps, but losing Lewis would definately hurt.

13. Boston Celtics: Took on a cancer in the offseason and downgraded at the point. Hence the reason they fall a few places.

14. Los Angeles Clippers: They can be hyped up all the media wants, but I want to see them make the playoffs before I declare them the next dynasty.

15. Orlando Magic: Frontline is horrible, but TMac is a top 5 NBA player that should only improve.

16. Atlanta Hawks: We'll see what adding the Big Dog does for them. I'm guessing it really will improve scoring, but can they stop anybody?

17. Indiana Pacers: They can be hyped up all the posters at basketballboards.net want, but I want to see more than an 8th seed knocked out of the 1st round of the playoffs before I declare them the best in the East.

18. Philadelphia 76ers: They added another legitimate scorer in KVH, but losing Deke could be a huge, huge loss.

19. Miami Heat: Check the records: They were one of the better teams over the last half of the season. Adding Caron Butler can only help.

20. Phoenix Suns: The Matrix + Starbury...and now Amare. This looks like a good team for the future.

21. Chicago Bulls: Definately will improve over last year. They have the talent to do so.

22. Milwaukee Bucks: They lost part of the Big 3. That might help, but after their blow-up last year, I can't put them any higher right now considering most Eastern teams improved.

23. Houston Rockets: They should be back, and I'd like to put them higher, but there are so many questions regarding health.

24. Washington Wizards: If Jordan starts they might be higher, but since he'll probably play 6th man this seems like a fair place.

25. Memphis Grizzlies: Loads of young talent, but in the Western Conference I see their fortune for this year mighty bleak.

26. New York Knicks: Just not real good. Would have been a wiser move to hold onto Nene and rebuild, in my opinion.

27. Goldne St. Warriors: Mike Dunleavy Jr. will be a solid NBA player. Mark my words.

28. Denver Nuggets: They got a decent package for McDyess. I think they have a strong future, especially if they win the Lebron sweepstakes.

29. Cleveland Cavaliers: They traded Andre Miller their best player for Darius Miles. It's just a shame that the worst team in the league isn't guaranteed the first pick, right Cleveland?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts