Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our next SF won't be Mike Miller. Orlando said there will be no trade.

It's being reported that Chicago has interest in Lewis and has already contacted him. (Espn insider -- i know...)

And the most interesting news is Matt Harpring is now an unrestricted FA. I guess he is still asking for $5/$6 mill or so to start. Maybe they just gave up on him. Regardless JK's pet SF is now in the free and clear (the sixers seem preoccupied with Lewis/Clark now) and I think we might be the only team willing to throw $4 or so at him. Since Lewis is probably a pipe dream Harpring looks like a probable to come here now if JK really does like him. But then what about the backup PF/C? I guess we can hope for Doleac or Willis with the $1.4.
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/harpring_020724.html

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Originally posted by ABull
Well our next SF won't be Mike Miller. Orlando said there will be no trade.

It's being reported that Chicago has interest in Lewis and has already contacted him. (Espn insider -- i know...)

And the most interesting news is Matt Harpring is now an unrestricted FA. I guess he is still asking for $5/$6 mill or so to start. Maybe they just gave up on him. Regardless JK's pet SF is now in the free and clear (the sixers seem preoccupied with Lewis/Clark now) and I think we might be the only team willing to throw $4 or so at him. Since Lewis is probably a pipe dream Harpring looks like a probable to come here now if JK really does like him. But then what about the backup PF/C? I guess we can hope for Doleac or Willis with the $1.4.
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/harpring_020724.html

"Harpring looks like a probable to come here now if JK really does like him. But then what about the backup PF/C?"

What happened to Fizer??? LOL if Harpring is a free agent, we should still be able to keep Fizer as a backup..he will do fine there. Unless we do a sign and trade fizer for a back up center....Clark?:grinning:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well obviously Fizer is a PF, but the need is for someone who can play both positions PF/C or C (Thats why I mentioned two players who play C also). Fizer is not a C. And some would argue neither is Bagaric. Thus a need is created...

And about Clark... I just don't see how people think Clark is a center? He is 6'11" 220 and he doesn't argue with those numbers - seems proud of it. Chandler is 15lbs heavier and 2 inches taller. I would rather see Clark play at SF than see extended minutes at C. Plus he would be better playing with Fizer than Chandler at PF so that makes him a backup SF in my book.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I think it is a matter of what he has played before and that is what he is comfortable doing.

In high school, he was a center. At UNLV, he was a center. When he started in Denver, they played him at the 5. When he was dealt to Toronto, I believe he also played the 5, and some time at the 4 as well.

I don' know if his game would translate well to the 3. I think he is a Ben Wallace type of player in the way he moves around on the floor and that is how he gets his points and rebounds. It never seems to be within the team's offense or flow, just gets lots of garbage (at least in the games I've seen him play)

---

I don't think we need a SF though. I'd rather have Jalen or ERob there personally.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Almost totally agree wid ya! LOL

Originally posted by RetroDreams
I think it is a matter of what he has played before and that is what he is comfortable doing.

In high school, he was a center. At UNLV, he was a center. When he started in Denver, they played him at the 5. When he was dealt to Toronto, I believe he also played the 5, and some time at the 4 as well.

I don' know if his game would translate well to the 3. I think he is a Ben Wallace type of player in the way he moves around on the floor and that is how he gets his points and rebounds. It never seems to be within the team's offense or flow, just gets lots of garbage (at least in the games I've seen him play)

---

"I don't think we need a SF though. I'd rather have Jalen or ERob there personally."
IF EROB, IF, he could stay healthy, IF his birthdefected big toe is healed and he can jump, run, turn, squat or stand, I am all for EROB. OTHERWISE, we need another SF....IF harpring IS an unrestricted free agent as is Clark, IS there any way to bring in them both and only give up Fizer? Can we sign and trade fizer for clark??? I know if they are unrestricted free agents why would we trade for them, but it may be the ONLY way to get them both, right??? and IF we do not bring in another SF, we will see Hassell there as sure as EROB cannot play because of his nasty toe! Hassell is NOT a SF....but he was played there last year some. GO BULLS~~~:confused:

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I would be happy with just Rose and E Rob at the SF. But the fact that JK is interested in Lewis, Miller and harpring tells me that he wants a back up in case Eddie doesnt make it through the full season. Also as a side note, anyone notice that Hassell is our SF in the summer league? Looks like he wants to use that as a backup plan also

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I noticed that same thing at the end of last season!

Seems to me True, that while hassell was in the 3-spot, that his production AND defense had lapses in them.(last season) I just do not think he is tall enough for the sf's of the league, do you? Like I said earlier, EROB WAS given all that cash, but I believe at the time of his purchase, he felt he would be our SG. No? and as far as EROB goes, does ANYONE believe he will stay healthy longer than 10 games? Not me. I think this is exactly why krause appears to be looking for that SF. GO BULLS~~~:yes:

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: I noticed that same thing at the end of last season!

Originally posted by BamaBull
Seems to me True, that while hassell was in the 3-spot, that his production AND defense had lapses in them.(last season) I just do not think he is tall enough for the sf's of the league, do you? Like I said earlier, EROB WAS given all that cash, but I believe at the time of his purchase, he felt he would be our SG. No? and as far as EROB goes, does ANYONE believe he will stay healthy longer than 10 games? Not me. I think this is exactly why krause appears to be looking for that SF. GO BULLS~~~:yes:
I don't either Bama

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Best time for deals in september!

While It does appear that krause wants help at SF in case of EROB's inability to stay healty, I think he is waiting for the "buyers market" to arrive, which will in all likelihood be september.:grinning:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by truebluefan
I would be happy with just Rose and E Rob at the SF. But the fact that JK is interested in Lewis, Miller and harpring tells me that he wants a back up in case Eddie doesnt make it through the full season. Also as a side note, anyone notice that Hassell is our SF in the summer league? Looks like he wants to use that as a backup plan also
True,

I've got the feeling Krause is looking for more than just a backup at SF. More and more we're seeing taller, more athletic types playing the SF position. Jalen has a lot of trouble defending these guys. I've got to believe that Krause would prefer to move Rose to SG and bring in a real physical specimen to handle the Kenyon Martin's, Tim Thomas', Cliff Robinson's, Jonathan Bender's, Kevin Garnett's, Lamar Odom's...well, you get the picture.

Harpring's not tall, but he's very physical. Lewis is one of those new breed small forwards, measuring in at 6'10", 215 pounds.

I think there's a genuine concern that if Jalen's going to log 40mpg, they'd better have an above average defender at the other swing position. That's why I still have doubts about Jamal as a 2 guard with the Bulls. I have no doubt he can play the position, but he's not a solid defender. If he and Jalen are operating out of the swing positions at the same time, I think we're in big trouble defensively. That's probably why right now, Hassell has a big edge over Crawford as the starting SG.

The problem with a Hassell/Rose combination is that Rose is still going to be overpowered defensively at SF. And at 6'5", it isn't practical to crossmatch Hassell with Rose on defense. Logic therefore dictates that Rose be moved to SG and paired with a physical, defensive minded SF.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
*bling *bling

Originally posted by HJHJR

True,

I've got the feeling Krause is looking for more than just a backup at SF. More and more we're seeing taller, more athletic types playing the SF position. Jalen has a lot of trouble defending these guys. I've got to believe that Krause would prefer to move Rose to SG and bring in a real physical specimen to handle the Kenyon Martin's, Tim Thomas', Cliff Robinson's, Jonathan Bender's, Kevin Garnett's, Lamar Odom's...well, you get the picture.

Harpring's not tall, but he's very physical. Lewis is one of those new breed small forwards, measuring in at 6'10", 215 pounds.

I think there's a genuine concern that if Jalen's going to log 40mpg, they'd better have an above average defender at the other swing position. That's why I still have doubts about Jamal as a 2 guard with the Bulls. I have no doubt he can play the position, but he's not a solid defender. If he and Jalen are operating out of the swing positions at the same time, I think we're in big trouble defensively. That's probably why right now, Hassell has a big edge over Crawford as the starting SG.

The problem with a Hassell/Rose combination is that Rose is still going to be overpowered defensively at SF. And at 6'5", it isn't practical to crossmatch Hassell with Rose on defense. Logic therefore dictates that Rose be moved to SG and paired with a physical, defensive minded SF.
Great post HJHJR.

I agree that the Bulls need to address the SG and SF position, preferably with a veteran that can play physical D. We all know that in the 'triangle' the backcourt positions are somewhat interchangable. Great. What the Bulls need now are some grinders and defenders that can play D. Remember with me that last season, of the few games the Bulls actually won, it was never based on their D, but on simply 'outscoring' the opponent. The young Bulls cannot expect to win many games like this w/o adding some tough veteran leaders.

Harpring would be a nice fit, for 2-3 seasons. He's a grinder no doubt, but is actually a nice outside shooter and above-average rebounder. He'ss going on his 5th year in the league, so I'm hoping the Bulls at least make him an offer.

The WORST thing the Bulls could do is just stand pat. They need to add veterans, 2 or more at best. We definitely need a defensive minded swing player (Bowen already signed) so a Harpring just might fit the bill. Also, as everyone knows, we need a veteran banger down low. Though I'm sad to take minutes away from Dalibor (haha) the young towers just get into too much foul trouble and they need a solid backup.

VD

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Is Lewis a defense-minded wing player?

HJ, I have seen reports that claim that Lewis has a good understanding of team defense. He also is a good athlete. But I still have not seen folks claim that he would be one of those guys that we stick on the best wing player night in and night out.

But he is 22, and with his athleticism and defensive understanding, it is probably not unreasonable to think that he could become that kind of player. What is your thinking on this?

Another reason that I like Lewis is because I think he could back-up the PF position as well, like Peja and Hedo back-up the PF position for the Kings. If so, we still would have minutes for ERob off the bench if we traded Crawford & Fizer for Lewis. ERob would be back in the role he played in Charlotte - energy off the bench - a role I think he is perfectly suited for.

If we picked up cheap veterans at the 1 and 5, we could in a pinch play veterans at all five positions. That ought to make Rose happy.

PG: JWill, Cheap Vet, Mason
SG: Rose, Hassell, Hoiberg
SF: Lewis, Robinson, Rose
PF: Chandler, Lewis, Baxter
C: Curry, Cheap Vet, Chandler, Bagaric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Retro I take it you don't watch the raps much... :)

Clark played a lot of SF/C for them since VC was out, Peterson was pretty useless at times and AD was moved back to the PF spot. Almost all of KC's best games were when he started at SF and averaged about 16/9.5/1.5. When he played at C a lot his averages took a dive. When he actually started at center and getting big minutes he basically got his season averages (only slightly better at about 13/7.5/.75). There was a reason Denver gave up on him and traded him for the ancient Kevin Willis and Toronto started Montross over both Clark/HO for a about a third of the season last year and now they aren't even fighting to keep him - but would pay the lux tax for Lewis. He is a pure energy guy and his size is most effective vs. smaller players he just gets knocked around by the heavier ones. Kevin Garnett, Tyson Chandler, Pao Gasol etc played a lot of C before too, but it doesn't mean they are all legit NBA Centers. All can play there vs. some players, but not for 82 games.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Is Lewis a defense-minded wing player?

Originally posted by NCBullsFan
HJ, I have seen reports that claim that Lewis has a good understanding of team defense. He also is a good athlete. But I still have not seen folks claim that he would be one of those guys that we stick on the best wing player night in and night out.

But he is 22, and with his athleticism and defensive understanding, it is probably not unreasonable to think that he could become that kind of player. What is your thinking on this?

Another reason that I like Lewis is because I think he could back-up the PF position as well, like Peja and Hedo back-up the PF position for the Kings. If so, we still would have minutes for ERob off the bench if we traded Crawford & Fizer for Lewis. ERob would be back in the role he played in Charlotte - energy off the bench - a role I think he is perfectly suited for.

If we picked up cheap veterans at the 1 and 5, we could in a pinch play veterans at all five positions. That ought to make Rose happy.

PG: JWill, Cheap Vet, Mason
SG: Rose, Hassell, Hoiberg
SF: Lewis, Robinson, Rose
PF: Chandler, Lewis, Baxter
C: Curry, Cheap Vet, Chandler, Bagaric
Lewis is a passive player all around... Offense/Defense/off the court/ in interviews etc. Nothing usually seems to make him upset (until the Sonics contract offer this summer). He is an amazing athlete he just doesn't show it that often. It's like out of the blue he'll blow down the lane for a monster dunk or for a tip in dunk over 3 defenders and everyone will go "Where did that come from?" He surprises his own teammates sometimes. It would be as if we were playing the Lakers and all of a sudden JC/ERob took off and dunked on Shaq. Then they all ask why don't you do that more often then? He's good enough to do so much more than he does - he just doesn't fight for it yet. Will he ever? I don't know. He might be happy at 17/7 as a 2nd or 3rd option. He could easily become a double double guy from the SF spot 22/10 type numbers (very rarely done) if he ever turned it up a notch. He is competitive on d but nothing like what you were hoping for. Again if only he was more intense. Tim Thomas, Al Harrington and Darius Miles (equally sized players) are all better defenders, but by no means is he a poor defender, just not a lock down type guy.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Looks like we are interested in Lewis afterall.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.../cs-020724bulls.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

The Bulls can offer the midlevel exception of $4.546 million with yearly raises in a six-year deal. Lewis averaged 16.8 points and seven rebounds last season.

I haven't talked that much about Lewis in the past because i really thought we never stood a chance of getting him. Now, there is a chance. A slight chance but a chance nevertheless.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll probably get the Harpring/Skinner combo instead though. We can dream, but we cannot come up with one good reason why Lewis should turn down more money (Seattle), a chance to go home (Houston) or a shot at going deep into the playoffs and a Championship (Dallas).

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
If the Bulls sign Lewis and Chandler and Curry develop, I will be ready to declare the Bulls the team to beat.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I dont think we will get him IMO. I would love to have him! I think Houston would have a good chance to get him. I cant see him playing for Dallas unless he thinks that Cuban would trade some of the players to Seattle to get him. I cant see him playing behind some of the players there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not a big R.Lewis fan at all I just not a big fan of him he's not seem prove worthy but its only just me.

But anyways I don't think there is no way we can get R.Lewis and same with Mike Miller unless we throw JC and Fizer which I think its a bit to much to get Mike Miller.

I think the only player is the strongest chance to get now is Matt Hapring more then MIke MIller and R. Lewis since now Hapring is a unrestricted free agent. The question is that is Krause really, really, really interest in him if he really likes him?

Thats the only thing if Krause indeed like to sign him off the bat and other question is Hapring very interest to play for the Bulls?

And most important question how we should offer Hapring? And whatever the offer is if its an exception or whatever would he accept it?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts