Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a pretty in-depth look at his contract and incentives in the article below from the Richmond Times-Dispatch this morning. Does this make Shaka Smart the A-10's highest paid coach?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sport...-new-contract-at-vcu-could-pay-mor-ar-2045258

Virginia Commonwealth University basketball coach Shaka Smart received a $100,000 increase and several new provisions in a recently signed eight-year contract that could pay him more than $1.36 million annually.

The new deal, signed on June 29, runs through 2020. It pays Smart $450,000 in base salary, $800,000 in supplemental income and $60,000 in deferred compensation. His previous contract paid $700,000 in supplemental income.

The contract includes new provisions for promoting and participating in radio/TV shows affiliated with the university ($25,000) and speaking engagements or attendance at events on behalf of the university ($25,000), as well as a $10,000 clothing allowance that was part of his previous deal.

It also includes numerous incentives.
Smart, who was sought by several major schools, would pay VCU a $700,000 buyout if he leaves before May 1, 2013 to become a head coach at another college or with a professional or semiprofessional team. The buyout is reduced by $100,000 in each subsequent year. A school that hired Smart as its head coach also would have to play a home-and-home series with VCU or pay a $250,000 buyout.

After Smart turned down an offer from Illinois in March, VCU said it was making small changes in Smart's eight-year contract. The details were not released then because they had not been finalized.

VCU sent a copy of the contract to The Times-Dispatch on Monday.

As in the previous contract, Smart has a rollover clause that could take the deal from eight years to 12 years, or through 2024. It automatically is extended one year for each of the first four years he stays.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was in his contract last year as well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Love the detail in that compensation package. Those agents and administrators sure do get creative.

Wish we could get a copy of Hurley's contract like the Times-Dispatch did.

If it were me with that contract and I earned some of those rinky-dink <$10k bonuses and incentives, I would redirect it to some scholarship fund to help "regular" students with high academic performance live like kings, as the basketball players do.

When you're taking home $600, 700, 800k a year in total compensation, would you actually pocket a $3500 bonus from winning a A10 regular season title or by having the team on regional TV outside the A10 syndication package?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
$10,000 clothing allowance. Nice.
I find it interesting that a person who is making well over $1M per year needs a clothing allowance. What happens if he does not use the full $10k, does VCU keep that money? In that case, although it's minor in the grand scheme of things, then perhaps it benefits VCU.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I find it interesting that a person who is making well over $1M per year needs a clothing allowance. What happens if he does not use the full $10k, does VCU keep that money? In that case, although it's minor in the grand scheme of things, then perhaps it benefits VCU.
He's going to be coaching in head to toe cashmere, baby. You've got to be comfortable when you draw those Xs and Os.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I wonder what other A10 coaches get allowances for.
Majerus should negotiate a food allowance.
Pecora one for hair gel. Kellogg might do well with that one also.
Major should negotiate one for Sharpies.

Any others?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah, I don't mind smartly considered performance incentives, but those nickle & dime allowances are a little bush league in my view.

What's next, a $7.99/month Netflix allowance? Seriously.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Hey, if we all had the leverage in negotiations we would get a clothing allowance, Country Club memberships, cars, anything we can. Coaches get them, but so do CEOs, CFOs, lawyers, and doctors. Those are the perks of being elite in your field. Most of us are lucky if we can swing a couple extra paid days off. You get what you can get.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When Lutz was at Charlotte he had a clothing sponsorship with one of the nicest men's stores in town. I wonder why VCU didn't line up something like that?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Does Shaka's contract result in salary escalation of head coaches throughout the conference?
All depends how those other coaches' contract reads. Let's say, he has to be in the top 3 of a10 coaches salaries/packages?

Ghost of A Rising Tide (Star?) floats all those other ships.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All depends how those other coaches' contract reads. Let's say, he has to be in the top 3 of a10 coaches salaries/packages?

Ghost of A Rising Tide (Star?) floats all those other ships.
That makes sense.

I was also thinking about something along these lines -- A school other than VCU wins back to back conference titles and has solid NCAA tourney success. Does the coach then have the leverage to say, "Hey Mr. AD, I keep finishing above Shaka and we are getting just as far, if not farther, in the NCAA tourney. I think market price would dictate that I should at least get as much as Smart, if not more..."

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That makes sense.

I was also thinking about something along these lines -- A school other than VCU wins back to back conference titles and has solid NCAA tourney success. Does the coach then have the leverage to say, "Hey Mr. AD, I keep finishing above Shaka and we are getting just as far, if not farther, in the NCAA tourney. I think market price would dictate that I should at least get as much as Smart, if not more..."
I don't think that would get you very far unless other schools were calling and offering you more. In most cases, a competing offer is what will get you a raise, or at least the threat of one. I assume that a coach that is very successful in the A10 will probably get those offers, but that is what the coach/agent will point to if they want to force the AD to give them a raise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts