Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's not GREAT, but viable.

Jerome Williams for Shandon Anderson.

Lately, it seems like we're not going to play Jerome Williams a lot. With Chandler coming back, that's only going to be more true. When he does, we start Curry and Chandlah, have Davis back up Chandler and Blount behind Curry, with Fizer clearing up what's left, unless he can play himself into the rotation ahead of Corie. Anderson can cover the SG and SF positions, and provide a bit of offense and shooting there. Two things we know we can't get from JYD. Especially what with Pippen being crappy and Kendall out injured, we have the unreliable ERob and Pip, the insufficient Doop and the inconsistent Jamal for those spots. That's not very good, is it?

You sure as hell know Anderson is available, and his contract is also a bit shorter than JYD's to boot. It works straight up so we don't have to wait 60 days to do it, and we gain a need for an expendable asset.

Yes I would rather trade AD, and yes we lose out statistically. But I still think it makes us better. :whoknows:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work straight up, it's just off slightly. The Bulls would have to find a way to make up some salary so I don't think it can be done now. And their contracts are the same length. Jerome has a team option his final year.

-Petey

·
Registered
67 Posts
not a bad idea

I have to agree that trade works for both teams

NY gets someone who can really jump and hustle and brings a lot of energy to the Garden

CHI gets SF that can shoot and is better all around player

I checked in trade checker and also works...

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I love JYD hustle. Anderson? I used to love his game. Anderson shoots 43%. JYD shoots a lot better than that, he shoots a much higher pct., and gives us hustle plays that is not in the stats. Some are. Many of the steals by Gill and hinrich and crawford are started by Jerome.

Anderson is Gill. Just not as good. If you were paxson would you trade JYD for Gill??

I am against this trade.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
it works for the bulls but i cant see why the knicks would do it other than to get rid of JYD a year earlier than shandon (w/team option)

the knicks need a post scorer which is something JYD is not

the bulls could use another 2/3 because of the brittleness of the ones we currently have and truthfully if they were all healthy i think shandon puts a few of them on the bench

if the trade were expanded i could see it helping both teams more

Chicago trades: PG Rick Brunson (3.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 2.0 apg in 9.5 minutes)
PF Marcus Fizer (5.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 13.8 minutes)
PF Jerome Williams (7.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.2 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Frank Williams (4.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 12.8 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (4.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.0 minutes)
SF Shandon Anderson (7.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg in 23.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

New York trades: PG Frank Williams (4.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 12.8 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (4.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.0 minutes)
SF Shandon Anderson (7.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg in 23.3 minutes)
New York receives: PG Rick Brunson (3.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 2.0 apg in 22 games)
PF Marcus Fizer (5.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25 games)
PF Jerome Williams (7.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 42 games)
Change in team outlook: -0.6 ppg, +6.3 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

the bulls keep their pyhsical power player in harrington gain a pg in f.williams to replace brunson whom i never thought the bulls needed in the 1st place but mochie's presence in the big apple means one must go because they are alil' close in in skill so one will always feel they should play in place of the other

fizer says he's 100% and just need court time to get going if so he is the post scorer the knicks need , and JYD is the bookend forward to make up for any rebounding and defensive problems until sweetney is ready to be the guy they want at a power spot

its a shuffling of the bench of players neither team is using much or will be using much when healthy but could be quite helpful to the team they are trading to

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Anderson got sent home ill. Right. Remind me why we shouldn't trade for him on the basis of that?

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
no, no, and no.

here's why

give me JYD any day.
why because his streak ended

or because he's so durable he can play 7 stright seasons without missing a game

who needs a guy like that ?

especially when you have guys like pippen gill and e-rob on your roster

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
JYD is a better player than Anderson. No deal.

However, I am kind of at a loss as to why JYD is getting less and less minutes. His game is ugly and he's not at all athletic, but he plays decent defense and collects a lot of boards. The bottom line is we seemed quite a bit more competitive in the days after the trade where he was getting more minutes. His minutes seem to have given way to Dupree and Fizer in the hopes of getting some scoring, but it looks like a negative net effect to me.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
no silly, cause he had a headache.

;) ;) ;)

and i would still rather have JYD. maybe it's the way he wears his socks. *woof*
i guess i'm gonna have to be the 1st to say it

screw jerome and his socks

he wont have a role when TC comes back(as early as wednesday for those who care) and which case his situation will mirror anderson's as a player out the rotation right next to fizer

i say if we are going to not use players lets get something for them we would use

anderson is a 2/3 who slashes,runs the floor and plays defense ,something people on this board have been clamoring for

plus a player like harrington is an insurance policy at the 4 but he wont really be needed because davis and blount can back up those spots becind EC and Tc

frank is a pg who is a hometown favorite who can play but is having trouble sticking in the rotation in NY

and what do we give up fizer who looks like he wont get a chance , brunson who sux and williams who will find himself on the bench anyway

neither team loses but both teams have a chance to fill their holes and clearly improve from it

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
ok, ok.

sham - it was meant to be sarcastic. kinda.
HG - woof, sorry, couldn't help it. relax.
mikeDC = voice of reason.

see you on the game thread.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
JYD is a better player than Anderson. No deal.

However, I am kind of at a loss as to why JYD is getting less and less minutes. His game is ugly and he's not at all athletic, but he plays decent defense and collects a lot of boards. The bottom line is we seemed quite a bit more competitive in the days after the trade where he was getting more minutes. His minutes seem to have given way to Dupree and Fizer in the hopes of getting some scoring, but it looks like a negative net effect to me.

He's a better performer, but Anderson is more talented. That does count for something. JYD brings essential qualities to any team he plays on, but right now, we need Anderson's game. Ideally, we could get it from ERob. But he's unreliable. You never know if he'll get 35 minutes or 0, or whether he's injured. We then have Doop who in spite of being a hero, is limited. There's Pippen whose even less reliable than Eddie, Jefferies, who is crap, and Kendall who is streaky and currently hurt. That group doesn't fill me full of confidence, and yet we need about 65 minutes per game out of it. What we don't need is three backup power forwards. Especially for 22 million a year.

Straight up, we are getting slightly short changed. But there's no real other way to work it. They can't add any players because then salaries won't match, they can't add any picks because they don't have any, and we can't both add a player because Jerome is only tradable if he's the only outgoing player. So it's straight up or nothing. It doesn't fill me with confidence to know we would have 20 million a year tied up in the small forward spot which would still be our weakest position. But it beats 26 million a year at power forward. The roster is imbalanced and has holes to be filled. Anderson is the right type of player, who unfortunately happens to be paid a lot. :grinning:

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ShamBulls</b>!

He's a better performer, but Anderson is more talented.
Well that's a common theme :)

That does count for something. JYD brings essential qualities to any team he plays on, but right now, we need Anderson's game. Ideally, we could get it from ERob. But he's unreliable. You never know if he'll get 35 minutes or 0, or whether he's injured. We then have Doop who in spite of being a hero, is limited. There's Pippen whose even less reliable than Eddie, Jefferies, who is crap, and Kendall who is streaky and currently hurt. That group doesn't fill me full of confidence, and yet we need about 65 minutes per game out of it. What we don't need is three backup power forwards. Especially for 22 million a year.

Straight up, we are getting slightly short changed. But there's no real other way to work it. They can't add any players because then salaries won't match, they can't add any picks because they don't have any, and we can't both add a player because Jerome is only tradable if he's the only outgoing player. So it's straight up or nothing. It doesn't fill me with confidence to know we would have 20 million a year tied up in the small forward spot which would still be our weakest position. But it beats 26 million a year at power forward. The roster is imbalanced and has holes to be filled. Anderson is the right type of player, who unfortunately happens to be paid a lot. :grinning:
No freaking way. The reason we're in this hole in the first place is that we keep thinking "need" is an adequate justification for getting short-changed.

The only way we're going to turn things around is to quit being desperate and start taking advantage of someone else. Start short-changing other teams.

There are plenty of other desperate teams out there. The Clips look to be desperate for a PG. The Sonics and Raptors are desperate for post help. The Hawks and Suns are desperate to dump salary. The Nets look desperate to make something happen. Lots of the top playoff teams look desperate for veterans like Gill or Blount that might help in the playoffs.

Those are the teams you look to make a deal with. And one of those guys would offer something better.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We can't offer the Suns and Hawks anything in the way of salary relief. And we can't dangle Crawford to the Clips, when they can just outbid us this summer. It's a common theme. We only have about 6 assets. Hinrich, Curry, Chandler, Jamal, Marcus to an extent, and the pick. It would appear to be hands off on Kirk Eddy Tyson and the pick, and no one wants Marcus. That doesn't give us a lot of room to fill our needs. Like I said, this whole 8 power forwards on one roster thing doesn't work. There's no reason to sit on this unbalanced roster when we don't have to. I'm not saying Shandon Andeson is the premium option. He'd better bloody not be with that contract. But he would make us better, which is what counts.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Jyd is better then Anderson,has a better contract,and he plays every game.

no thanks for me.Nothing from NY(maybe Frank Williams)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ShamBulls</b>!
We can't offer the Suns and Hawks anything in the way of salary relief.
Of course we can. Fizer, Crawford, Blount, Gill, and Brunson all have expiring contracts. That's $8-10M I think, without checking it closely.

Something like Fizer, Blount, and Gill for Jahidi White and either Joe Johnson or Casey Jacobsen would help them and give us cap relief as well.

Similarly word is theHawks are looking to unload most everyone, so they say. Jason Terry, Stephen Jackson, or Shareef might be had.

And we can't dangle Crawford to the Clips, when they can just outbid us this summer. It's a common theme. We only have about 6 assets. Hinrich, Curry, Chandler, Jamal, Marcus to an extent, and the pick. It would appear to be hands off on Kirk Eddy Tyson and the pick, and no one wants Marcus. That doesn't give us a lot of room to fill our needs. Like I said, this whole 8 power forwards on one roster thing doesn't work. There's no reason to sit on this unbalanced roster when we don't have to. I'm not saying Shandon Andeson is the premium option. He'd better bloody not be with that contract. But he would make us better, which is what counts.
It counts, sure, but I don't think Anderson's going to bring us much that we couldn't get for less.

And the bigger point is we don't have 8 PFs. Worst case scenario is we continue to limp into next season and go into next year with Curry, Chandler, AD, JYD, and Blount up front. That's hardly redundant... You need five guys up front. Two starters, two backups, and one extra guy to fill in during the inevitable injuries or crappy play we see from the first four.

We've got those five guys. That's not an imbalance at all.

Marcus isn't wanted here. He could be wanted somewhere else, and we'd do well to look to get anything we can for him. Even if a team totally doesn't want him as a player, he's almost $4M in salary that will come off the books next season. Someone will be willing to give up a mediocre swingman for that, be it a Calbert Cheney or Lammond Murray or Shandon Anderson or Morris Peterson.

Fizer+Jeffries for Lammond Murray
Fizer+Jeffries for Calbert Cheney and Evan Eschmeyer
Fizer+Jeffries+Brunson for Ruben Patterson
Fizer+Blount for Marc Jackson and Kyle Korver

Pretty much any of those would be preferable to me over giving up a player that actually helps our team. A guy like Murray or Cheney or Patterson would at least hold the fort and constitute a real upgrade in talent over what they're putting out there now.

You might say that Fizer is more talented than those guys, but at the same time, he can't get off the bench for us. I'm not sure that he isn't toast, Curtis Enis style.

Guys like Murray, Patterson, and Jackson don't suck, but teams are certainly willing to take back a guy like Fizer if it means getting rid of a guy who's overpaid and/or unhappy. Likewise you can snag a guy like Jacobson, Korver, or Cheney by taking a bad contract like Eschmeyer or Jahidi.

If we wanted Anderson, I'd offer something like ERob and Fizer for Harrington and Anderson. That gives New York some cap relief and it gives us more capable players.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts