Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel as if Shane should be a lot better than his numbers suggest. What's the story ? He obviously has loads of talent and great bball IQ and fundamentals, which comes with the Duke pedigree. So how come he doesn't put up great numbers ?

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Max Payne said:
I feel as if Shane should be a lot better than his numbers suggest. What's the story ? He obviously has loads of talent and great bball IQ and fundamentals, which comes with the Duke pedigree. So how come he doesn't put up great numbers ?
Shane's a winner. He plays to win only.

If he went to another team with less depth, I think his numbers would improve - probably up to what they were in his rookie season or a shade higher. He simply does what he's asked to do, which is bust his butt on defense and come up big in the clutch, which he's done numerous times this season.

Off the top of my head, his play in the fourth quarter saved the team in home games against the Pistons and Hornets.

He's one of two or three guys on the team I would not trade unless it got us a superstar.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
He's not really a numbers guy, he a "do what is needed to do even if it doesnt show up in the boxscore" guy. Important type of player to have for a winning team.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
rawse said:
Shane's a winner. He plays to win only.

If he went to another team with less depth, I think his numbers would improve - probably up to what they were in his rookie season or a shade higher. He simply does what he's asked to do, which is bust his butt on defense and come up big in the clutch, which he's done numerous times this season.

Off the top of my head, his play in the fourth quarter saved the team in home games against the Pistons and Hornets.

He's one of two or three guys on the team I would not trade unless it got us a superstar.
Well said.

Shane is the ultimate "glue player". He will come up with anything that the team needs. My kind of player.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Max Payne said:
Because he's a Dukie and theygenerally suck. all tht nonsense about BB IQ is just that, rubbish

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
jaja said:
Because he's a Dukie and theygenerally suck. all tht nonsense about BB IQ is just that, rubbish
So Shane Battier isn't a smart player?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
jaja said:

That might be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I mean I hate Duke just as much as the next guy but Shane is a great player and he is the ultimate team player.

I can't tell you how many times he has come up with a key rebound or steal that has won the game for us. He does it all and he knows what his role is.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
battier is one of the best role players in the league. although you would hope to get better than a role player with the #6 pick in the draft. but then again, it was the garbage 2001 draft, so i guess its ok. and battier could start for most teams, so just ignore me at this point.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaja said:
Please go away and never post on these forums again...Grant Hill wouldn't have been half the player he is if he didn't have the smarts and the understanding of the game that he has. Basketball IQ is actually one of the most underrated features of a player's arsenal and is the reason why very few kids actually declare right out of high school, because very few of them understand the game well enough to really get the complex plays that most good coaches have and the ability to exploit opposition weakness.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Shane had a big night tonight against the Bobcats.

25 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 steals, 2 assists, 0 turnovers.

:clap:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I've also been wondering why his #'s aren't better. I don't catch too many Grizz games, so I've been out of the loop. I just figured he was a flop or something. I really do believe in him though, he's still on my fantasy league every year. Glad to hear he got monster #'s tonight.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Mike Miller, James Posey, Bonzi Wells, and now Dahntay Jones and perhaps next season, Andre Emmett. Need i say more? it's hard to get big minutes, and even when you do, there are so many capable scorers on the court and only one ball.

Most of the players on the grizzlies could be putting up big numbers if they played a bigger role, but the grizzlies is a deep team so their stats are stuck at that.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
They're a deep team of several players with comparable talent, so it's difficult for virtually any of them except Gasol to command extensive playing time on the basis of standing out from teammates. But I do think Battier is a consummate role player whom I'd love to see on any of my favorite teams. After his rookie season I really thought he'd continue to blossom in ways you could measure statistically, and by now be scoring 20 ppg. His career has taken a different turn, but even still, if you stuck him on the Hawks, his stats would be much more impressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts