Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Wasn't Shaq 340 last season?

Every year, they talk about how fit hes getting and he normally shows up at hte begining of the season actually looking alright. But then when you see him at the end of hte season, you scratch your head at how he is suddenly twice hte size he was when the season started.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>Drewbs</b>!
Wasn't Shaq 340 last season?

Every year, they talk about how fit hes getting and he normally shows up at hte begining of the season actually looking alright. But then when you see him at the end of hte season, you scratch your head at how he is suddenly twice hte size he was when the season started.
He was listed at 340 but deffinately bigger than that.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
This just gives you an idea of how big Shaq really was. For years no one had a clue as to how much this guy really weighed. Estimates ran from 320 to 400. I'm guessing he was about 370-380 in LA. He looks much slimmer now and he's still over 330. It would have been nice if he were this dedicated to keeping himself in shape in LA.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!
This just gives you an idea of how big Shaq really was. For years no one had a clue as to how much this guy really weighed. Estimates ran from 320 to 400. I'm guessing he was about 370-380 in LA. He looks much slimmer now and he's still over 330. It would have been nice if he were this dedicated to keeping himself in shape in LA.
I agree. He had gotten pretty far up there, probably higher than most would expect. It would be a pretty big deal if he get down to around 320.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
I wonder how this paper knows he's at 331. That said, I'll believe it when I see it on the court. If Shaq can't get motivated for title runs with Kobe and Phil, I fail to see how he'll get motivated with a lot less in SVG and Wade.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
I wonder how this paper knows he's at 331. That said, I'll believe it when I see it on the court. If Shaq can't get motivated for title runs with Kobe and Phil, I fail to see how he'll get motivated with a lot less in SVG and Wade.
It is pretty easy to see. Shaq wants to prove that a) he can win without Kobe and b) the Lakers kept the wrong guy. I'd venture to say it is probably the most motivation he has ever had as a player.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!

It is pretty easy to see. Shaq wants to prove that a) he can win without Kobe and b) the Lakers kept the wrong guy. I'd venture to say it is probably the most motivation he has ever had as a player.
Proving that he can win without Kobe and that the Lakers should have kept him is bigger motivation than winning an unprecedented 4th title in a row, or winning a 4th title in 5 years after being punked by Duncan in 2003?

No, I'd say it's near impossible to motivate Shaq if championships aren't enough motivation.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts

Proving that he can win without Kobe and that the Lakers should have kept him is bigger motivation than winning an unprecedented 4th title in a row, or winning a 4th title in 5 years after being punked by Duncan in 2003?

No, I'd say it's near impossible to motivate Shaq if championships aren't enough motivation.
I would say it probably is. Shaq obviously has very strong discontent for Kobe and now the Lakers and I think that is what is really driving him now. Different things motivate different people. Maybe the championships weren't as much of a priority to him then because he already had three.

It may not seem very rational, but I think that is exactly what is motivating him.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts

I would say it probably is. Shaq obviously has very strong discontent for Kobe and now the Lakers and I think that is what is really driving him now. Different things motivate different people. Maybe the championships weren't as much of a priority to him then because he already had three.

It may not seem very rational, but I think that is exactly what is motivating him.
I'm not sure how much he hates the Lakers. In this very thread, in the first post, Shaq is quoted as saying "I have no hard feelings (toward the Lakers). It's a business."

While "proving" that he can win without Kobe might be motivating him, it's near impossible to tell if he's going to be nearly motivated enough to actually be in the shape he should be in (NBA shape). He hasn't been in NBA shape since 2000, when he was between 320-330, so I'd say it's a much safter bet to predict he won't be in shape by training camp, as usual.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts

I'm not sure how much he hates the Lakers. In this very thread, in the first post, Shaq is quoted as saying "I have no hard feelings (toward the Lakers). It's a business."

While "proving" that he can win without Kobe might be motivating him, it's near impossible to tell if he's going to be nearly motivated enough to actually be in the shape he should be in (NBA shape). He hasn't been in NBA shape since 2000, when he was between 320-330, so I'd say it's a much safter bet to predict he won't be in shape by training camp, as usual.
Well, his discontent for the Lakers is probably directed towards Buss or maybe Kupchak, not the entire organization in itself.

I understand your skepticism because you saw him gradually get more and more out of shape for the Lakers ... but all indications are that he is actually dropping weight and getting into shape this summer. Numerous people are quoted in all sorts of places saying they've seen him and he looks much thinner, reports say he is down in weight pretty good, and even his appearance at the VMAs, although the photos make it hard to really tell how much weight he has lost he clearly has lost at least some.

I guess I just really believe he has the motivation he needs so if there is anyone in the league that I wouldn't bet against , it is probably Shaq.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts

Well, his discontent for the Lakers is probably directed towards Buss or maybe Kupchak, not the entire organization in itself.

I understand your skepticism because you saw him gradually get more and more out of shape for the Lakers ... but all indications are that he is actually dropping weight and getting into shape this summer. Numerous people are quoted in all sorts of places saying they've seen him and he looks much thinner, reports say he is down in weight pretty good, and even his appearance at the VMAs, although the photos make it hard to really tell how much weight he has lost he clearly has lost at least some.

I guess I just really believe he has the motivation he needs so if there is anyone in the league that I wouldn't bet against , it is probably Shaq.
I see where you're coming from. And indeed, year after year, Shaq would get more out of shape. He was better last year, but didn't drop enough weight (only 15-20 lbs), presumably because he wasn't motivated enough.

If Shaq really has a dislike for someone in the Lakers organization (Buss and Kupchak would be my first guesses, then Kobe), I could see him being motivated enough to get (and stay!) around 330ish. But that's a big if in my mind. Shaq's ego is very big, and he knows that even when he was a blubber butt he was pulverizing the league.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Is Shaq really insecure enough to feel he has to "prove he can win without Kobe?" It seems like it should be the other way around.

This happens every summer. Shaq is in the best shape of his life and the Bulls are going to have a break out season (but thats really true next season :D )

Everyone has heard it before, so dont be surprised if nobody wants to buy it.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Riley was on PTI the other day saying he's challenging Shaq to get in the "3 teens" by midseason. This obviously means Shaq isn't that far off from that number today. Riley also said Shaq calls him every week to tell what his current weight is. Right there u can't deny the man's dedication and that he ain't just fooling around like last year. U add the VMA footage and all the articles listing his current weight.....i'm pretty darn sure Shaq really has lost a lot and is pretty close to what he was during his first title run. He has pretty much guaranteed he'll be around 325 on the first day of training camp. Anybody honestly does NOT think he finds proving LA kept the wrong guy more motivating then winning a 4th championship when he already has 3 with the same group? Actions speak louder then words! He's 330 now! At least losing 30-40 pounds over the last 2 1/2 months. So lets not be living in denial here. This is the most motivated Shaq has been since PJ joined LA.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SPMJ</b>!
Riley was on PTI the other day saying he's challenging Shaq to get in the "3 teens" by midseason. This obviously means Shaq isn't that far off from that number today. Riley also said Shaq calls him every week to tell what his current weight is. Right there u can't deny the man's dedication and that he ain't just fooling around like last year. U add the VMA footage and all the articles listing his current weight.....i'm pretty darn sure Shaq really has lost a lot and is pretty close to what he was during his first title run. He has pretty much guaranteed he'll be around 325 on the first day of training camp. Anybody honestly does NOT think he finds proving LA kept the wrong guy more motivating then winning a 4th championship when he already has 3 with the same group? Actions speak louder then words! He's 330 now! At least losing 30-40 pounds over the last 2 1/2 months. So lets not be living in denial here. This is the most motivated Shaq has been since PJ joined LA.
How can anyone be living in denial when we haven't even seen what he'll weigh come October training camp (today's September 2nd in case you forgot)? You say actions speak louder than words, yet you go on to mention that Shaq says he's at 331 lbs as proof. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

How can anyone be living in denial when we haven't even seen what he'll weigh come October training camp (today's September 2nd in case you forgot)? You say actions speak louder than words, yet you go on to mention that Shaq says he's at 331 lbs as proof. :rolleyes:
To be fair, Shaq looked a lot slimmer at the VMAs.

·
4,361 Posts
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cares. Really. I just don't get why everyone is salivating about Shaq trimming down a few pounds. Even if he slims down to 303, how much he weighed as a rookie, he still will never regain the kind of mobility he in those years. He won't be any better at 320 than he was at 360. If anything, it'll just make it easier for Yao to be able to handle him.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Shaq at 320lbs = the best player in the NBA

However, he really needs to work on regaining the same kind of form that he had on his turn-around fall-away jumper back in the 99/00 season. That was one of his best moves and it has since GREATLY diminished. If he gets 30lbs lighter and can shoot that shot again, no one can stop him, not even Yao Ming and his mama.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts