Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we all know Shaq is the best center in the league. Period, point-blank -- (SacKings, don't even try it...)-- but he's missed a lot of games this season; maybe not enough to keep the coaches from voting him to the reserve squad, but then again, maybe he has.

It's easy for Shaq to explain why he wasn't voted in as a starter by the fans: "That's cool, where he's from there are 2 trillion people," as he told the media about why Yao beat him again in the voting. And yeah, he has a point. But let's just say for second he doesn't even make it as a reserve, and the spot goes to........oh, I don't know, Erick Dampier or somebody. We know it ticks Shaq off watching Tim Duncan rack up MVPs, but if he can't even make an all-star team, in L.A. no less, I think it'd benefit the Lakers greatly. It may be the single thing that could motivate him once more-- to make him feel like he has something to prove again. If the coaches were smart they'd vote him on for that very reason, to keep him happy by giving him the nod. Even though Shaq may not really want to play in the game, it's always an ego thing with him.

It'd be interesting to see how he reacted to that. But, lets be honest, the rest of the centers in the league besides Shaq and Yao are garbage so this scenario ain't gonna play out. Even if it did I'm not sure Shaq even cares enough anymore to let it get to him. Just a little thinking out loud on my part.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Hell be in... trust me...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Brad Miller isn't garbage, but I don't think there is a legit chance he will make it over Shaq. But if there was any chance of a center being picked ahead of Shaq, it would be Brad Miller.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No disrespect to Brad Miller, the only reason I didn't bring him up is because he's been starting at forward.

·
20,601 Posts
Ya, i found that weird, they still put him at C though... Brad Miller wont make it unfortunately, which kind of sucks, i thought he played better than Yao, but its all about popularity... and the coaches wont vote Miller over Shaq, and that means there is only 2 wildcards left for Miller to get in... and theres so many possibilities of wildcard players (Kirilenko, Nash, Bibby, etc...)

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
No disrespect to Brad Miller, the only reason I didn't bring him up is because he's been starting at forward.
Well, I was thinking that the him and Vlade were interchangeable at PF/C. Either way, I see Brad Miller making the all star game because of his numbers, but I don't think he will make it at the expense of Shaq.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Brad Miller: 44 G, 14.2 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 4.7 APG, 51.1 FG%

Yao Ming: 45 G, 16.3 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 1.5 APG, 53.6 FG%

Erick Dampier: 44 G, 11.9 PPG, 11.6 RPG, 0.7 APG, 50.9 FG%

There's no denying Shaq is the best in the NBA, but come on did Brad Miller ever get considered to start this year? Eh, Dampier is having a career year but nooo probably not even considered. They've done just as much as YAO.

But ya know Yao's from China.. That's the difference..

And truthfully I'd rather Shaq sit this out and get better!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Dampier would probably make it if he was in the East this year and if his team's record was a little better. Although Ilgauskas always seems to make it on there with a terrible record.

·
20,601 Posts
Dampier had a good season and Yao had a good season, but look at Millers assists! Theres absolutely no denying that Shaq is the best C in the NBA, no doubt... However, Miller comes to a new team, has career highs in points, rebounds, and assits, hes just as good of a reason that the Kings are winning as Stojackovic is... kinda sucks... Yao barely has more points and has LESS rebounds, HES 7 FOOT 5!!!!!! How can Miller outrebound him? Plus Yao doesnt play near the minutes Miller plays, becasue Yao isnt conditioned good enough and can only play is 6 minute spirts...Shaq should DEFINITELY be the starter, i dont care HOW many games he missed... and Miller should be the backup :yes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!
Shaq should DEFINITELY be the starter, i dont care HOW many games he missed... and Miller should be the backup :yes:
Couldn't agree more.
I think Shaq will be voted on as the reserve, Miller may have a chance to get on as one of the wildcards but Dampier will probably miss out.
I wouldn't have Yao in the team, Miller and Dampier have had better seasons so far in my opinion.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Shaq doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star game this year. He has missed like 15 games this season and even Gary Payton was grumbling to friends that he can't believe that Shaq is just sitting out games on purpose.

I think the coaches should send a message and not pick Shaq for the All-Star game. He simply doesn't deserve it.

Give it to Miller and pick all the guys who have toughed it out and tried to play as many games as possible. Besides we know Shaq would sit out of the game most likely anyway.

I am really getting sick of Shaq, no matter how many times he tries to crack a smile.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
Shaq doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star game this year. He has missed like 15 games this season and even Gary Payton was grumbling to friends that he can't believe that Shaq is just sitting out games on purpose.
That rumor about Payton being disappointed that Shaq sat out 12 games just recently was completely debunked by Gary himself not one week ago when a reporter asked him about whether he was mad at Shaq.

Anyway, Shaq's calf injury was reportedly very serious, and so hopefully it's better now.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!

I think the coaches should send a message and not pick Shaq for the All-Star game. He simply doesn't deserve it.

Give it to Miller and pick all the guys who have toughed it out and tried to play as many games as possible. Besides we know Shaq would sit out of the game most likely anyway.

I am really getting sick of Shaq, no matter how many times he tries to crack a smile.
If the All-Star game was indeed a popularity contest, i may concede Shaq doesn´t belong there...
I mean, if BBNet´s posters would be trusted to select the All-Star players, that would be very much a given...

BUT that´s not the way it goes, is it?
Shaq belongs in the Game of the Stars.
He is the undisputed best center in the NBA, and one of it´s best 3 players.

So, why shouldn´t he play?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

So, why shouldn´t he play?
Because he has missed way too many game this year. It is looking more likely that Kobe should sit out the game as well, due to injury probs. Shaq has not played enough games to be an All-Star, simple as that.

·
20,601 Posts
Because he has missed way too many game this year. It is looking more likely that Kobe should sit out the game as well, due to injury probs. Shaq has not played enough games to be an All-Star, simple as that.
This isnt about being the MVP, its about being the best...

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Shaq should be starting, Miller should be a reserve.

I dont think Kobe should start though. I think they should have put Peja at the 2 guard since hes one of the many deserving forwards this season, and he plays like a guard somewhat and could definitely do it for one relaxed game that stretches a lot of positions anyways. Kobe obviously has had things that effected his game this season, so it hasnt been his best. Obviously Cassell should be in over Francis.

But yea, its about the votes and Kobe is very popular despite what some Kobe fans think.

·
20,601 Posts
You guys shgould go to the Sonics board and post your all-stars on their...

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>-blindspott-</b>!
I wouldn't have Yao in the team, Miller and Dampier have had better seasons so far in my opinion.
Explain how Eric Dampier has had a better season than YAO

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
There's no way that shaq wont make the team as a backup reserve at center. The All-Star game is in Los Angeles... And he was a close 2nd place behind Yao Ming in the fan voting. The coaches will take these two things into consideration if they have to decide between Shaq and Brad Miller. Shaq's numbers this season are also higher than Miller. If Shaq played the whole season they probably would be even better.

Shaq: 19.6 ppg 11.3 rpg 3.0 apg 2.4 bpg

Miller: 14.2 ppg 10.5 rpg 4.7 apg 1.3 bpg

Nobody should even be questioning the All-Star starters because the fans pick who they want to see. More people in the world obviously want to see Yao Ming.

Ming: 16.3 ppg 9.3 rpg 1.5 apg 1.8 bpg

Dampier shouldn't even be getting mentioned unless he was posting some monster numbers at center. His team is not doing as good as the Lakers, Kings and Rockets so he doesn't get any help from that. Plus his overall numbers aren't that much better than the other 3 to give him a spot as a reserve.

Dampier: 11.9 ppg 11.5 rpg 0.7 apg 1.6 bpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts