Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 2 2.5%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple poll. Taking all the usual factors into account (impact on the court, accomplishments, stats, longevity, etc.), who was the better player? If you have different criteria, just list it.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
For me, it's no doubt Shaquille O'Neal. He's accomplished so much more than David Robinson and is one of the greatest players of all time. Shaq could not be stopped in his prime and he still can't be stopped even now. Every team he goes to he wins and wins big, so far the two teams he's spent a whole season with have gone to the Finals and the one he's currently on is on it's way to having the league's best record.

David Robinson was great, but not at Shaq's greatness level.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
EHL said:
Simple poll. Taking all the usual factors into account (impact on the court, accomplishments, stats, longevity, etc.), who was the better player? If you have different criteria, just list it.
Shaq is the (easy) answer, if talking career-wise.

However, in their respective primes, there was no clear-cut better player between them. D-Rob was a monster, and a (much) better defender than Shaq (although Shaq was the bigger intimidator).

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
EHL said:
You could go either way, but Robinson is my favorite center so I'd take him. He was a much better defender than Shaq. He could protect the paint, block shots, get out and defender any center in the league inside and out. He had ball handling skills that most big men don't have. He was quick off the dribble, could shoot the mid range jumper, and do a little damage inside. There weren't many major flaws in the Admiral's game. He won DPOY, He won a scoring title, He won MVP, He won Titles, He was an allstar many times, He was an all nba offender and defender. He even posted a quadruple double!!!! Robinson did it all, he was my guy, so I gotta take him.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Look at the playoff numbers. Shaq absolutely dominates Robinson statistically (I'm not even bringing up team success just the numbers). More points, rebounds, and assists! Over 27 ppg 5 times in the playoff over long playoff runs

Meanwhile, Robinson's playoff numbers if anything tend to go down from the regular season. Never average over 27 ppg in the playoffs

I like David Robinson but no way he's better then Shaq

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
The biggest knock on Robinson was that he didn't have a back to the basket game. He relied on face ups and jumpers for most of his offense and was not a dangerous low post threat so he didn't spread the floor as much for his teammates.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
obviously, shaq has the finals mvp's, and that makes the comparison based on accolades one-sided. i'll keep that part out of the discussion. people tend to forget that they were in a similar boat by '98 (difference being that robinson was on the downside by then). neither had won anything yet (robinson hadn't made a final yet), and both were criticized for not being go-to guys who you could rely upon to close out games.

they were different type of players. shaq easily the more dominant and unstoppable force.

lifetime ppfga for the 2 is identical (1.17). their prime rebound rates were similar (robinson's dips the rodman years). robinson was the better overall defender by a decent amount (although i think shaq's impact is underrated). shaq was just more unstoppable. robinson got his in the flow of the game with his athleticism, speed and a sweet jumper. but he didn't have a great back-to-the-basket game, and this hurt them in crunchtime. of course, alot more weighed on his shoulders in crunchtime than shaq. he just didn't have many postseasons where he kept his regular season pace. only his first 2 years.

shaq wins this matchup. it's pretty close, but he was more unstoppable overall, a bigger force for the opposition to worry about, a greater impact on what a defense had to worry about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kunlun said:
The biggest knock on Robinson was that he didn't have a back to the basket game. He relied on face ups and jumpers for most of his offense and was not a dangerous low post threat so he didn't spread the floor as much for his teammates.
What you have said I agree with but you know Shag has no face up game to speak of. However, offensively shaq has the advantage but give me the Admiral on defense anytime. Before injuries only a few dared tried to take it to the hoop while the admiral was present. And he is a much better defender of the pick and roll and his individual guy than shaq is or would ever be. But you know what with Shaq limitations I still would go with shaq IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd say Shaq rather easily. He was a more unstoppable force in his prime than Robinson, and he has three titles as the main guy as opposed to Robinson's one as the second banana.

Admittedly, my judgment might be clouded by the fact that Robinson faced such formidable opposition in Hakeem, Ewing, and a young Shaquille (as well as Jordan, though they didn't play the same position), and to a lesser degree a healthy, young Zo, Dikembe, or even Brad Daugherty. Because the other centers of his era were great players themselves, Robinson doesn't stand out as much.

Shaq in his prime didn't face nearly the same level of opponents and thus might look better. Of course, the fact that he is so dominant might be the reason his opponents look so meek.

·
Registered
421 Posts
tatahbenitez said:
Thankyou very much for your detailed description there, i will have to spread it around it around. These posts just keep me fascinated in BBB.

thankyou you have made my day,

·
Registered
394 Posts
SpursFan16 said:
Thankyou very much for your detailed description there, i will have to spread it around it around. These posts just keep me fascinated in BBB.

thankyou you have made my day,
You're welcome. I aim to please. :biggrin:

But...

If you want an explanation...

I would choose Shaq over Robinson, because of how the way Shaq changes the game when he enters a game. Next to Wilt and maybe MJ, I have never seen any other player physically and mentally changes how the opponents play the game. Opposing coaches were so affraid of Shaq's dominance in the post that they created "Hack a Shaq" to try to keep Shaq out of the paint. Shaq has aways "elavated" his game during the playoffs and championship series (3 championships, 3 championship MVP's). Eventhough Shaq has deficiencies (free throws and the pick and roll defense, to name a couple), they are offset by his size, dominance, and sheer power.

Robinson is a also a great center, but does not change the game the way Shaq does. Robinson is a better defensive center and has more range on offense, but his low post game isn't as good as it should be for a center. And I remember Robinson as a "passive" center and was criticized for not being more aggressive (though not as weak as Yao).

For me, Shaq is just so dominant and teams have not found a way to stop this force of nature which makes me choose him over Robinson.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
thebac said:
I'd say Shaq rather easily. He was a more unstoppable force in his prime than Robinson, and he has three titles as the main guy as opposed to Robinson's one as the second banana.

Admittedly, my judgment might be clouded by the fact that Robinson faced such formidable opposition in Hakeem, Ewing, and a young Shaquille (as well as Jordan, though they didn't play the same position), and to a lesser degree a healthy, young Zo, Dikembe, or even Brad Daugherty. Because the other centers of his era were great players themselves, Robinson doesn't stand out as much.

Shaq in his prime didn't face nearly the same level of opponents and thus might look better. Of course, the fact that he is so dominant might be the reason his opponents look so meek.
While Robinson's might have faced slightly more competition at the "center" position, it's not quite the big difference people like to think it is.

For example, Duncan and Amare are as big/bigger then Hakeem. KG is taller then Hakeem and Ewing. Players have liked to start listing themselves as PF's so people wouldn't think they were limited. And if people are going to throw Daugherty into the mix, there were second tier centers like Divac, an old Sabonis (who was still remarkably good), and young Yao that Shaq played. Shaq also face a "prime" Mourning and Mutombo.

Finally, since a young Shaq with limited post moves and passing skills (two things he's greatly improved) more then held his own against Ewing, Robinson, and Hakeem. I would take a prime Shaq over all three

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
While Robinson's might have faced slightly more competition at the "center" position, it's not quite the big difference people like to think it is.

For example, Duncan and Amare are as big/bigger then Hakeem. KG is taller then Hakeem and Ewing. Players have liked to start listing themselves as PF's so people wouldn't think they were limited. And if people are going to throw Daugherty into the mix, there were second tier centers like Divac, an old Sabonis (who was still remarkably good), and young Yao that Shaq played. Shaq also face a "prime" Mourning and Mutombo.
They are listed as PF because they are PF's. Shaq rarely matches up with Duncan, He never matches up with KG, and Amare is a poor match up both ways. There no 'slight' difference in competition. There is a world of difference between: An old Sabonis, Divac, Shawn Bradley, and ailing Alonzo Mourning and the great centers of the 90's like Robinson, Akeem, Ewing, Daughterty, the young Deke, the young Mourning. And Mutumbo was not in his prime, while Shaq was winning with the Lakers.

Finally, since a young Shaq with limited post moves and passing skills (two things he's greatly improved) more then held his own against Ewing, Robinson, and Hakeem. I would take a prime Shaq over all three
Shaq was great when he played against these guys. IMO, he stood amongst them, not above them the way he stands above all centers today.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I'm going to say it depends on who is your PF.

If you have a gritty, defensive minded & rebounding PF without a polished low post game, you would want Shaq.

If you have a proficient low post scorer or below average defensive guy, Robinson would be a better fit.

In their primes, they both were equally dominant: Shaq offensively, and Robinson defensively. I'd argue that both have just as big an impact on their ends of the floor. That said, Shaq's prime seems to be much more long lived than Robinson's was, so I would give Shaq the overall edge in terms of career, especially when you have to factor in that he'll probably play a couple more seasons. Of course, the quality of Shaq's competition now is nothing like it was then, so he may be overrated by a lot of people.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
IV said:
They are listed as PF because they are PF's. Shaq rarely matches up with Duncan, He never matches up with KG, and Amare is a poor match up both ways. There no 'slight' difference in competition. There is a world of difference between: An old Sabonis, Divac, Shawn Bradley, and ailing Alonzo Mourning and the great centers of the 90's like Robinson, Akeem, Ewing, Daughterty, the young Deke, the young Mourning. And Mutumbo was not in his prime, while Shaq was winning with the Lakers.

Shaq was great when he played against these guys. IMO, he stood amongst them, not above them the way he stands above all centers today.
i completely agree.

young shaq was one of the great centers of that time, but he did nothing to seperate himself from the others. he was 1st team all nba only once from 92-93 to 98-99.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Of course as a Spurs fan I love David Robinson and feel guilty voting against him, but it's Shaq we're talking about. I would choose Shaq over any Center over the last decade-and-a-half, and it quite easily too.

Shaq has the hardware to back it up, and even though D-Rob has two rings of his own, Duncan was the leader of both teams.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
i think most considered shaq and hakeem as the 2 best by '95 (despite robinson's mvp - his playoff dismantling really shot him down a few pegs). shaq had his injury years after that, but he was still highly regarded, if flawed. i still think by about '97, nobody would have taken anyone over him.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Late 90's early 2K, the only player who could really keep up with Shaq was Alonzo Mourning. He was an ideal matchup because he's a tough and gritty defender, but offensively he had a nice jump shot, and Shaq would rarely contest. It was unfortunate that Zo became ill, I had imagined the two of them being the best centers together for a while.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts