Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm convinced that Shareef Abdur-Rahim will never lead a winning team. I see him being better off as a second or third option.....somewhat like Juwon Howard.

Grizz + Reef = Lottery
Grizz - Reef = Playoffs

The Hawks went 25 - 57 the season prior to Shareef's arrival. They were rebuilding after a few failed playoff series'.

Have they progressed or digressed since the acquisition of Abdur-Rahim?

Is Shareef a winner or just talented?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rockstone</b>!

Grizz + Reef = Lottery
Grizz - Reef = Playoffs
That's not very strong analysis.

Grizz - Reef - Bibby + Williams + Battier + Gasol + Wells + Posey + Miller + Hubie Brown + Jerry West = maybe playoffs.

There are a hell of a lot more factors that go into winning and losing than just one player.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Shareef: Leader of Loser?

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

That's not very strong analysis.

Grizz - Reef - Bibby + Williams + Battier + Gasol + Wells + Posey + Miller + Hubie Brown + Jerry West = maybe playoffs.

There are a hell of a lot more factors that go into winning and losing than just one player.
I appreciate your constructive criticism. So what's your opinion on Shareef??

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm convinced that Shareef Abdur-Rahim will never lead a winning team. I see him being better off as a second or third option.....somewhat like Juwon Howard.

Grizz + Reef = Lottery
Grizz - Reef = Playoffs

The Hawks went 25 - 57 the season prior to Shareef's arrival. They were rebuilding after a few failed playoff series'.

Have they progressed or digressed since the acquisition of Abdur-Rahim?

Is Shareef a winner or just talented?
a very talented "SIDEKICK" but not as someone you can build your franchise around and depend on as your daily go-to guy if you want to be a winning franchise, there are guys like kg, td, shaq, the answer etc who you can build your franchise around
and then there are guys like reef, matrix, who is better suit being a second guy to a true superstar and benefit from the presence of a true superstar.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i think he is just pointing out that there are alot of other factors taht go into the fact that the frizz are better now..thats all

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've never

seen someone get stripped so much doing the same spin move

He also led the league in getting his shot blocked 4 years in a row... Nice 2nd piece or 3rd complementary but... not going to do the little things to win you games

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Shareef: Leader of Loser?

So what's your opinion??
That's he's as good his production...he should neither be overvalued as a "leader" nor downgraded as a "loser" who puts up numbers without helping his team.

He's a star, but not a superstar. Of course, I don't put too many players on the superstar level. I think you need at least one superstar on your team to win a championship, so I think Abdur-Rahim would not be the cornerstone of a championship team...not because he's a loser, but because he's not good enough to be the best player on a champion.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
He is a very talented player.. I see him like a perfect second option... I don't think he can be the leader of a great team but a good sparring partner to a superstar..

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
He's a good player, no doubts about that. But just not one of those players that you would want to build your franchise around. He's perfect for a team that already has a franchise player (a guard perhaps), and he'll be good as a 2nd or even 3rd option of a team. I wouldn't call him a loser as it's unfair to him to be considered a franchise player and be expected to win games for the teams he has played for, when he is not suited to be one in the very first place.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>Ben</b>!
He's a good player, no doubts about that. But just not one of those players that you would want to build your franchise around. He's perfect for a team that already has a franchise player (a guard perhaps), and he'll be good as a 2nd or even 3rd option of a team. I wouldn't call him a loser as it's unfair to him to be considered a franchise player and be expected to win games for the teams he has played for, when he is not suited to be one in the very first place.
Some of you seem to think the term Loser is too harsh. Just to let you know, it was used for aliteration purposes only. I personally think he's a very good player. I just don't see him as a true leader.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shareef: Leader of Loser?

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

That's he's as good his production...he should neither be overvalued as a "leader" nor downgraded as a "loser" who puts up numbers without helping his team.

He's a star, but not a superstar. Of course, I don't put too many players on the superstar level. I think you need at least one superstar on your team to win a championship, so I think Abdur-Rahim would not be the cornerstone of a championship team...not because he's a loser, but because he's not good enough to be the best player on a champion.
always stealing my words...(in essence, great post :))

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shareef is a good player, not great, but a very good player. He could start on any team in the NBA, or at least be the sixth man like Jamison is in Dallas. Ya he hasnt won much in the NBA, but he also hasnt been on good teams. He was on an expansion grizz that was in the west, a conference that was turning into the powerhouse conf. in the NBA during these years. Then he goes to a "rebuilding" atlanta team, which i dont get this team. This team has some talent there (Shareef, terry, ratliff, jackson) and they cant win. Atlanta has horrible owners/front office, so this must be causing this to be a bad team, cuz they are in the east and have as much talent as many of the playoff teams in the east do. Shareef is a good player, still can improve, he is still a younger player.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Reef is very talented but imo he hasn´t got that extra quality that makes him a star player...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts