Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is he in the mock... nbadraft.net has him going #5 to Atlanta. In front of Jameer Nelson and Ben Gordon.... thoughts?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Didn't he commit to Coach K at Duke??? Is there talk that he will enter...he sounds like a tall Pg...never seen him play though...

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I have seen quite a bit of hype about him lately. That may fade and he may end up in college.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Unless he is the next Magic, taking a 6'7 (& 175lb for that matter) HS PG in the top 5, IMO, would be foolish. He should go to Duke and star for a couple years.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I haven't seen him play but I've heard that he can dominate a game without scoring, purely with his court vision and passing.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
At 175lbs, he needs college.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
He definitely needs college, I think all point guards need some college. But a PG as frail as he is, needs it even more, court vision does you no good when you have to run through picks from guys 6'10 260 pounds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The fact that he's only 175 is overrated. True that is very thin, but he's a point guard. He's not gonna bang around in the post on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jcs83md</b>!
The fact that he's only 175 is overrated. True that is very thin, but he's a point guard. He's not gonna bang around in the post on a consistent basis.
That's true, but look at Jamal Crawford. He is rail-thin and any Bulls fan will tell you that his lack of size limits his playmaking abilities. Strength is very important if you want to penetrate and finish in the lane. Look at Baron Davis. If he were 180 he wouldn't be close to the player that he is.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
Unless he is the next Magic, taking a 6'7 (& 175lb for that matter) HS PG in the top 5, IMO, would be foolish. He should go to Duke and star for a couple years.
Yep Duke and Coach K the home of great future NBA players:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I, too, have heard a lot of hype surrounding this kid lately, but i don't see him being able to handle the league next year. He is so thin, he needs a sandwich in the worst kinda way.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Duke's gonna lose Deng and Livingston this year and Humphries last year, can't make the Dukies happy.

Anyway, I don't think he needs college really at all. If he's a lottery pick, I think he has to come out because he might get injured or something like that in college.

Also, I think Duke concentrates more on conditioning and long shooting, but not much else. That is good enough to win in the college game, but I think the players suffer in the NBA because they didn't develop the individual moves they need to succeed. Duke's more about a swing the ball around and look for the open three rather than penetrating and posting up.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The only reason Duke does do this kinda play is because they have been succesful at doing it. They aren't known for posting up because they tend to shy away from those type of players. Shaun will be eaten alive if he declares, Jared Jefferies added alot of weight before the draft, if Shaun can do the same then I would say he has a chance, but until then he needs college.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!

Yep Duke and Coach K the home of great future NBA players:rolleyes:
OK, let's not start this again. They have produced many busts, but have produced successful NBA players also, just like any other school.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Originally posted by <b>knickstorm</b>!
they got telfair in the mock too, lol
Well NBA GMs, are talking about Telfair being a lottery pick, in the 8-13 range. When he played in California in front of a bunch of NBA scouts he finished with 37 points and 7 assists, and people in attendance said he made a number of nice passes that his teammates couldn't handle. He will be playing in front of approximately 50 NBA personel next Saturday when his team plays against Dwight Howard's team, another performance like the one in Cali will guarantee him a lottery spot.

Being a skinny PG and not having to bang in the post doesn't mean anything, that is made up for by the number of picks they have to run through. Just because your not a big man doesn't mean you don't get bumped around a lot.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Livingston is getting a lot of hype. I heard from people who have watched him that this kid has the potential to be the next Penny with better passing skills. It will be interesting to keep tabs on this kid especially when the draft approaches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts