Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I love Sabonis. His is the ONLY jersey I've ever bought...

...but, no.

First, it's time to move on. The Blazers want to go younger, faster, and more cost-efficient. Sabonis is none of these.

Second, Sabonis has his hands full with political issues surrounding the league he plays in now. He wouldn't be able to devote his full attention to the game here.

Third, I'd prefer to remember Sabonis as he was earlier in his Blazers career, not the lumbering, pain-ridden shell of a player (who was still a lot better than most Centers in this league) he was at the end. Last season was excruciating for me to endure, and I don't think I could do it again.

Let's look forward, not back.

PBF

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'd take Sabas back in a heartbeat. I love his game.

On another note, where did that bicept come from? Wow.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
That's not gonna happen even though I would love for it to.

There is just to many things happening with Zalgiris right now that he has to deal with like the owner of the Rytas newspaper blackmailing business out of sponsoring his financially troubled team.

I also can't see him moving so far away from his family again. That just killed him last year :(

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ProudBFan</b>!
not the lumbering, pain-ridden shell of a player (who was still a lot better than most Centers in this league) he was at the end.
Hey everyone knows I love me some sabonis, but wasn't he always a lumbering, pain-ridden shell of his former self? Gosh, I miss the big guy.

Stuart

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ProudBFan</b>!
I love Sabonis. His is the ONLY jersey I've ever bought...

...but, no.

First, it's time to move on. The Blazers want to go younger, faster, and more cost-efficient. Sabonis is none of these.

Second, Sabonis has his hands full with political issues surrounding the league he plays in now. He wouldn't be able to devote his full attention to the game here.

Third, I'd prefer to remember Sabonis as he was earlier in his Blazers career, not the lumbering, pain-ridden shell of a player (who was still a lot better than most Centers in this league) he was at the end. Last season was excruciating for me to endure, and I don't think I could do it again.

Let's look forward, not back.

PBF
what? was he the shell in game seven against the spurs? Or was that game 5?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tblazrdude</b>!

what? was he the shell in game seven against the spurs? Or was that game 5?
hm...the only game 5 and game 7 we've ever played against the Spurs..well, we could have used Sabonis on the team that year..waaay back in 90..

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

hm...the only game 5 and game 7 we've ever played against the Spurs..well, we could have used Sabonis on the team that year..waaay back in 90..
wrong texas team ;)

i mean against the mavs. He was great in those games!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Here is my response to this article, posted on the Sabonis Forum earlier today:

From the Interbasket.net Sabonis Forum

Those readers don't know our Sabas like we know our Sabas.

They have no idea what they are saying when they think he might come back to the "right" team. They have no idea of the projects and concerns that Sabonis has immersed himself in with his return to Lithuania. They have no idea the mental and physical effort it takes for him to play the demanding schedule in the NBA.

Sabonis has a mission in Lithuania. There is no team in the NBA that will fill Sabonis with the fire that he feels for Zalgiris.

Sabonis has his family in Europe. Being away from them was perhaps the hardest struggle Sabonis faced last season.

Sabonis has millions of miles on his broken-down body. He wants the last year/years of his career to be enjoyable and fun and meaningful.

Sabonis long ago gave up the goal of an NBA title. To fill a gap on a "not quite complete enough to compete" NBA team is not part of his life plan.

We all know these things about Sabonis.

I must say in defense of the article that the lack of knowledge about Sabonis is excusable. Mostly, it shows they love the guy, too.......and wish the legend to go on forever.

So do I.
tblazrdude: Might you be meaning Game 7 against the Mavs??????

Answer: Shell.

Try to imagine how good he used to be! :yes:

Sabonis was sick and tired of being away from his family, sick and tired of the immaturity and bickering on the team, sick and tired of the schedule that made BB work--instead of play, sick and tired of it all.

He knew he had a commitment to keep with his hometown team of Zalgiris. He knew he wanted to keep that while he could still play. He is doing so. And doing so beautifully, I might add. Top ranked player in the Euroleague? Not bad!

Because of a variety of factors, the main one being the illness he just recovered from, his team might not advance to the next round of the Euroleague. If that happens, the team's season will be over by the end of Feb. Perhaps that's why this article implies that he might consider a return. However, his team still competes in the domestic Lith league.....so don't be thinking he will consider a return just because his team is eliminated from the EL.

How does one gracefully bring to an end an international superstar career in BB?????

I think Sabonis must be wondering about this. I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know that bouncing back and forth between Europe and the US is NOT the right way.

Sabonis JEGA!!!!!

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Crazy Fan From Idaho</b>!

Try to imagine how good he used to be! :yes:
I remember Walton talking about a game he watched in which Sabas played. I think he said Sabonis was 19 at the time.

Walton said Arvydas had something like 30 points, 15 rebounds, 9 blocks, and 8 assists at half time! :eek:

He knew he had a commitment to keep with his hometown team of Zalgiris. He knew he wanted to keep that while he could still play. He is doing so. And doing so beautifully, I might add. Top ranked player in the Euroleague? Not bad!
I am happy that he is playing so well even at 39 but you can tell being owner and playing is wearing him out.

As much as I would love to see him play again next year, I hope he retires or gives up ownership. I really think the reason he got so sick was because of all the stress he's facing.

Would he have taken over the majority ownership if he knew what happens behind the scenes?

Because of a variety of factors, the main one being the illness he just recovered from, his team might not advance to the next round of the Euroleague. If that happens, the team's season will be over by the end of Feb. Perhaps that's why this article implies that he might consider a return. However, his team still competes in the domestic Lith league.....so don't be thinking he will consider a return just because his team is eliminated from the EL.
Yeah, I think he's going to continue to put everything he has in Zalgiris even if they are eliminated.

I just can't see Sabas sitting back and letting the Rytas owner blackmail sponsors out of giving Zalgiris money, especially now, that everything is out. If he leaves there is no telling how bad things would get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts