Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight at the post game interview, Wheels asked Rasheed point blank if he wants to remain a Blazer. Sheed's answer was YES.

We stood there screaming "KEEP RASHEED" "KEEP RASHEED" KEEP RASHEED".... hey, just trying to help :D

The crowd that was there gave his answer a very loud ovation.

Rasheed played AWESOME tonight! 3 MONSTER JAMS :cool:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
I guess you missed it - Peter Vecsey reported that Wallace will never re-sign with Portland and is leaving after the season. I don't know who this "Rasheed" guy who talked to Wheels is, but he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
Tonight at the post game interview, Wheels asked Rasheed point blank if he wants to remain a Blazer. Sheed's answer was YES.

We stood there screaming "KEEP RASHEED" "KEEP RASHEED" KEEP RASHEED".... hey, just trying to help :D

The crowd that was there gave his answer a very loud ovation.

Rasheed played AWESOME tonight! 3 MONSTER JAMS :cool:
That was an interesting interview. After hearing his comments, it's pretty clear that Paul Allen wants to keep him and that Sheed would like to stay.

If he is happy playing the 5, then I'm happy to have him on the team.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I nearly choked when Wheels said Sheed was going to be the postgame guest. I don't know what came over the guy - he was smiling, articulate, and said all the right things. When the kid asked how he could become as good as Rasheed, Wallace's response was awesome and left me asking what happened to the real guy. If he keeps this up we're going to have to keep him!

·
Registered
837 Posts
It is not surprising.

I hope he turned a new leaf. He is a smart guy. He gave an interview about a week ago after a game on TV. I almost fainted.
I love his game and the energy, unselfishness and talent he brings to the team.
This is the addition by subtraction theory Bob could not understand. Bye-Bye Bonzi- Hello "new and improved" Rasheed. With Bonzi gone and the last link to Isaiah Rider( he mentored Bonzi) we got ourselves of all evil :laugh:

The Sky is the limit now. :angel:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
Peter Vecsey reported that Wallace will never re-sign with Portland and is leaving after the season
What does Peter V know..the guy don't know anything..i think he makes things up...:laugh: and the stuff he does get right he is very lucky..sheesh..i say keep Wallace if he is playing this well and wants to stay

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Wallace has always struck me as a nice guy, with a couple of fatal flaws for a person living in a spotlight. The major fatal flaw being having a disdain for the media.

In return for that, the media has really gone a long way to damage Wallace's character. Yes, he committed all those technicals and he deserved the flak that came for those.

But I don't think they reflected the person he was/is. They reflected a tempestuous competitor who had a tough time controlling his emotions during competition.

I'd never get rid of Wallace due to "character concerns." If I felt his price was too high for his production or if he could fetch me a great price in a trade, then I could move him, like anyone else. But character isn't an issue to me, with Wallace. If the Blazers can re-sign him to a decent contract and he plays center, the Blazers will be the better for it.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
Yeah but Minstrel do ya think Wallace will sign for 6-8 mill this off season?
Unless you mean starting salary, with escalating raises, no.

I'd give him a five-year deal averaging ten million per season. As a center, with his abilities, he's well worth it.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blazerfan4life</b>!

What does Peter V know..the guy don't know anything..i think he makes things up...:laugh: and the stuff he does get right he is very lucky..sheesh..i say keep Wallace if he is playing this well and wants to stay
I've made my opinion of Vecsey well known on this board. I KNOW that he has made things up in the past, and although he's connected with some sources that will allow him to get some things "right", they're usually of the "no kidding" variety.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I would be all for keeping Rasheed and giving him a 3 year deal with a team option for a fourth. Heck, if he could consistantly put up numbers that he is putting up now, I wouldn't have a problem paying him 10+ million a year.

I think that Nash is going to offer less and go from there. I am still not trying to get sucked in, but Rasheed is making it hard not to love his play at center. I just love the new line up with Miles, Randolph, and Wallace. If Nash can keep that intact and have a good draft, Portland could be ready to make a strong return to elite status sooner, than later.

Portland IMO would be just a point guard away from having an elite team. Damon, be what he may is still a defensive liablity and should be gone after next season.

Here is what I would like to see right now.

Resign Wallace and Miles

Bring in an outside shooter, Brent Barry or Wesley Person (resign).

Draft a point guard and backup center project.

Right now, that is filling all our needs and Portland still might win 45 to 55 games next season once this team gels this season with Miles and if they bring Person back.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
Yeah but Minstrel do ya think Wallace will sign for 6-8 mill this off season?
I think a couple things need to be said here.

1: I think Rasheed will sign for about 6-8 million a year (+ incentive) because if he likes Portland enough (and can easily fix the "relationship") he'll realize that no other team can (or will) offer him near that (if money is the issue).

2: It's not to hard to win the appreciation of fans. Rasheed was a fan favorite up until the last 2 years really. I'm not sure of what happened to change that.

Was it the $$ he's making? The Technicals (which have all but gone away)? Is it the inconsistency? Is it the 1 marijuana bust? Is it the ref thing (which, outside of a few employees, Rasheed Wallace, Brevin Knight and um..the ref(?) none of us know what happened (altho some have a good idea) )?

Seriously, why has Rasheed fallen out of favor, when we've had players who have also played inconsistent, were over-paid..talked bad about the city after they were traded, cries when he doesn't get his way after he tries to buy our old WNBA team and cries when he's not named the head coach of our team or GM even tho he has no experience and left his other coaching job at his old college in shambles? (speaking of that...with all of the coaching fires in the last half year, why hasn't he been hired as a coach??)

4. Does Rasheed realize that, to some degree, he's been made out to be the scapegoat?

5. Does Rasheed himself really want to stay in Portland, knowing that?

6. Can Rasheed put on a happy face and actually start to let people (even if it's just through the team) know him? Is he willing to do that?

Like Ive said before, there are times when I think we should trade him (mainly for the same reason I've said to trade Damon in the past..a new start for both sides can't hurt)..and there are times when I say we shouldn't trade him and should re-sign him (he's a much bigger help to the team than a hinderance right now..much bigger)..and then there are times when I just go...

"aaaah screw it! do something!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Can't blame the poor Knick fan for hoping - that franchise has sunk so low that our problems have been nothing by comparison.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
I guess you missed it - Peter Vecsey reported that Wallace will never re-sign with Portland and is leaving after the season. I don't know who this "Rasheed" guy who talked to Wheels is, but he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
If Portland lowballs him with an offer of 6-7 million, would he take that over the roughly 5 million MLE from the Knicks of 76ers? I'm not too sure. With so few teams under the cap, this is where the money if for him and he knows it, I'd like to stay too (anywhere in the US) if it meant doubling my pay.

-Petey

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Many on this board said all summer that Sheed at the center spot would be a good move. I am now agreeing with them. My only hesitation was that he supposedly never wanted to play center in the Brian Grant era. that is why I thought it would nto happen, he did not want to play it.

I am glad he has changed his mind or waht ever it took. He is doing a great job at it. He has been our most talented player for a long time. I still am in awe for getting him for Rod and Harvey Grant.. what was the Bullets thinking?

If he can move into the center role for the next 4-5 years, we coudl plant some other pieces along side him to escalte the talent level on the team. I haev been pressing for Dale to move back to PF and in a backup role, and I like it. But moving Dale might be the better solution.

Sheed for several more years at a reasonable salary would be fine by me. He always has had the talent. But I would hope it would be labeled as a team option each year, if its possible to do that. If he becomes a team problem he can be dealt of cut off at the teams discretion.

Good points as always Minstrel... maybe you are right... maybe Bonzi's exit has helped Sheed!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts