Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14148601&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161561&rfi=6

In a game against Boston University, Barea was called for a charge, pushed the defender while he was still on the floor, and got a technical. That gave him two fouls on one play and four for the game. He left with Northeastern leading 41-39. By the time he returned, the Huskies were getting blown out.
Barea showed he hasn't changed his ways during the 2005 America East Tournament men's basketball championship game Saturday between Northeastern and Vermont.

Early in the game, Barea dove into a pile for a loose ball. He clearly threw two punches in the pile. The referees looked at the monitor to determine what players if any would get technicals or be ejected from the game. The referees must have gazed at the monitors with blindfolds on. Barea didn't get ejected. He should have. Perhaps the referees wanted to keep Northeastern from getting beat worse than it did by keeping Barea in the game. The Vermont fans, justifiably, booed Barea every time he touched the ball the rest of the game.

Barea's a punk, but he does have some skill. Is it enough skill to make it in the NBA? He thinks so. He has made himself eligible for the NBA draft. He has not signed with an agent, so he could come back to Northeastern. Barea needs to remember that the next 5-11 guard out of the America East Conference to declare early for the NBA and earn a roster spot will be the first. He needs to bulk up, get an attitude adjustment, and come back to play college basketball for one more year. If some NBA team drafts Barea in June, color me shocked.

Continuing the America East theme, Vermont's Tom Brennan is now being hailed by pundits as a "great coach.'' Brennan is a decent coach who was fortunate that Taylor Coppenrath developed into a fine Division I basketball player.

All Brennan did for the most part was lose before Coppenrath came to Vermont. In 21 seasons as a head coach before Coppenrath showed up, Brennan had a record of 227-315. Remember, he went 46-58 at Yale before he did a lot more losing at Vermont. He'll retire from Vermont at the end of this season with a lifetime losing record and never having won an NCAA Tournament game - unless the Catamounts pull off a miracle and beat Syracuse in Worcester on Thursday.

Great coaches don't end up with a lifetime losing record over 25 years. Brennan is a good guy and an entertaining speaker, but he never was a great coach, and he'd probably be the first to tell you that.
Vermont doesn't have a good basketball program. The Catamounts have a mediocre program that's enjoyed a good run. Beginning with the 2005-06 season, watch for Vermont to begin another stretch as a perennial bottom feeder in America East.

Northeastern, meanwhile, is headed to the Colonial Athletic Association beginning next season. That will make America East nearly as weak as the Northeast Conference, perhaps weaker.

If the University of Hartford can't win a title in America East now, then what was the point of going Division I? Outside of Boston University, no America East team that will compete in the 2005-06 season is a threat to be a winning program year in and year out. Hartford should never, ever, finish behind New Hampshire in the standings, which happened this season when the Hawks were last in a 10-team league. Hartford should be better than Maine, Vermont, Stony Brook, Binghamton and Albany. Hartford's edge is that the athletic administration has always cared about men's basketball. I don't think they really care about the sport all that much at Maine and New Hampshire.

UHart coach Larry Harrison is coming off a miserable 8-20 season, but he's got a good guard in Aaron Cook, who will be a senior next season. With a watered down America East on the horizon, Hartford must do some damage in the conference next season while they still have Cook. It should be considered a huge disappointment if the Hawks are not at least in the America East Tournament semifinals next season. They have never played in an America East Tournament championship game.

One of America East's departing players is BU's Chaz Carr. The talented senior guard out of Manchester High had a fine career with the Terriers. He got to play in the NCAA Tournament as a freshman, and was named first team America East this season.

Wednesday night, BU plays at Georgetown in an NIT Tournament game. BU has a fair chance to win - the Terriers have beaten Michigan at Michigan the last two seasons. No matter what, here's hoping that Carr, a class athlete, ends his career with a bang.

Sherman Cain is a Journal Inquirer staff writer.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Wow, what a negative article, this guys sounds like a curmudgeon. I am still trying to figure out the point of his article. Basically, the AE sucks, Brennan kinda sucks, Vermont doesn't have a good program, and Barea is a punk. Nice. It must be a pleasure reading this guy's column every day.

Oh yeah, and Hartford sucks too. What a jerk.......

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
This guy is a moron.....plain and simple.

Sounds like he loves Boston U and hates the rest of the league. Worse than the NEC?.....yeah, right.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hmmmm, UHart should be the beast of America East because, why?

The very nature of low-major, much less mid-majors, is that it's very difficult to maintain 20-win level seasons (it's not like recruits are knocking down our doors to come to our schools). The point is to be competitive year-in and year-out. To Wolff's credit, he's produced some fine teams in his tenure at BU. But it wasn't that long ago, he had a couple clunker seasons. It's going to happen. Memories are short these days.

We all want to win 20 games every season, but the reality is that building a program at this level is having one that, during the down years, stays near .500 and can compete in the conference tournament.

Hartford's been good before and they'll be good again. Under G and now Woodward, UMaine has built a "program" that although has not produced the big win, it's always knocking on the door ... even in the down years.

As for the SUNY's, I wouldn't be dismiss them at all. They are coming on. You could make a case that all three of them have as much talent up and down the roster, right now, as anyone in the league. It's a matter of putting it all together.

·
Registered
341 Posts
mainejeff said:
This guy is a moron.....plain and simple.

Sounds like he loves Boston U and hates the rest of the league. Worse than the NEC?.....yeah, right.
Oh Jeffy, maine will get respect one day. Just you wait... (when the city of boston drops off into the Atlantic) ;-)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Before we all say that this guy is an idiot - let's look at his points:
1. Barea is a punk who isn't ready for the NBA - I think there are many on this board that believe that.
2. Brennan became a great coach 5 years ago with Coppenrath (and Sorrentine) - I think there are many on this board that believe that.
3. The AE will be on par with the NEC. I think many believe the AE will be much weaker next year - on par with the NEC is a question mark, but certainly weaker.
4. Hartford comments - I'll let someone respond to the specifics, but I think most of us would agree that with the league being weaker next year, it's an opportunity for some new teams to step up.

Maybe his tone was bad, maybe he was overly critical, but when you look at the specifics I think most of us would agree with a lot of his comments.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Actually, five years ago when TJ was a freshman and TC was redshirting, UVM was the #8 seed in the AE tourney. That team defeated UNH in a play-in game (before losing in quarterfinals) for Cats' first postseason victory in eight years. UVM got good when Mr. Coppenrath hit the hardwood four years ago.

·
Premium Member
33,435 Posts
reeder said:
2. Brennan became a great coach 5 years ago with Coppenrath (and Sorrentine) - I think there are many on this board that believe that.
Brennan still hasn't become a great coach, nor was he ever. He got lucky and found a kid in the woods. What makes him great is his humor and personality, because he will be the first to tell you he got lucky and found a kid in the woods.

·
Registered
453 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
Brennan still hasn't become a great coach, nor was he ever. He got lucky and found a kid in the woods. What makes him great is his humor and personality, because he will be the first to tell you he got lucky and found a kid in the woods.
great post uvm hoopcat!, that is exactly the way that Brennan is about himself and his team, thanks for stating that.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
FWIW, Cain was the beat reporter covering the Hawks for the JI for many years. I don't know if he still covers them regularly because I haven't seen him at the few Hawks games I've been to in the past couple years. That should explain his point of view along with the previously mentioned Manchester, CT connection for Carr.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
MJ -

BU was pretty darned good in the mid 1980s and early 1990s when guys named Jarvis and Pitino were coaching. I don't think there's a direct relationship between the success of BU's hoop teams in the late 1990s and the decision to drop football and baseball.

BU dropped baseball partly because it couldn't bury hockey players on baseball scholarships any more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NU Hoop Fan said:
BU dropped baseball partly because it couldn't bury hockey players on baseball scholarships any more.
Kinda'............but more so because of the Title IX requirements and the fact that the program had no identity on campus. The latter was largely due to not having a home field (not a lot of land on Comm. Ave to construct a baseball field) forcing the team to travel for every game.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't because the baseball team sucked? ;)

Didn't they have a pitcher who led the NCAA in walks one year?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Put In Rickard said:
The latter was largely due to not having a home field (not a lot of land on Comm. Ave to construct a baseball field) forcing the team to travel for every game.
How ironic when Nickerson Field in a former life was home to MLB's Boston Braves!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
And way back in the early 20th century, the Red Sox moved their World Series games to Braves Field because it had a greater capacity. Maybe that's the real curse. Fenway felt jilted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts