Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A stunner might be about to take place that could change the future direction of the UM hoops program..........if true, it could be announced within a week.

Hint: I am NOT talking about conference realignment. :nah:"peace2::smilewink:basket:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
A stunner might be about to take place that could change the future direction of the UM hoops program..........if true, it could be announced within a week.

Hint: I am NOT talking about conference realignment. :nah:"peace2::smilewink:basket:
Woodward out?

Why keep us waiting, spill it!

·
Realist/A-hole
5,775 Posts
Maine is dropping Men's hoops in order to sink more money into Football and Hockey?

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Tone sounds somewhat positive- I'm all for that this brutal off-season. Coaching news has been the only bright spots.

That said, Woodward being out wouldn't be stunning news IMO...so, I'm leaning Woodward but am curious.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Maine is dropping Men's hoops in order to sink more money into Football and Hockey?
No need, basketball is most likely close to break even with a few money games per year given the peanuts paid to Woodward.

We're utilizing the Vermont strategy which is to wait to win the lottery and luck out with a Taylor Coppenrath type in state recruit that grows 5 inches during his freshman year as well as a D2 level recruit that turns out to be an All-conference player. After the stars align and we win the league we'll fund basketball and then urge UNH to pick up the slack for holding the conference back for so long. Win win.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,775 Posts
No need, basketball is most likely close to break even with a few money games per year given the peanuts paid to Woodward.

We're utilizing the Vermont strategy which is to wait to win the lottery and luck out with a Taylor Coppenrath type in state recruit that grows 5 inches during his freshman year as well as a D2 level recruit that turns out to be an All-conference player. After the stars align and we win the league we'll fund basketball and then urge UNH to pick up the slack for holding the conference back for so long. Win win.
Yeah. Those guys at UNH are always so behind the times. :rotf:

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
This would be huge news (especially if domino #2 falls after domino #1), but color me skeptical of domino #1 actually falling until it falls.

Was that cryptic enough?

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
This would be huge news (especially if domino #2 falls after domino #1), but color me skeptical of domino #1 actually falling until it falls.

Was that cryptic enough?
Woodward out, Leichner in?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Rumors are that Woody will be named associate AD. Which is terrifying in its own right, as who knows how long Steve Abbott will keep his political ambitions on ice.

Note- not a shot at Abbott- he has done SO MUCH in a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a win all the way around. Maine hoops gets immediately better, Woodward stays employed and pushes paper back and forth, and Leichner probably doubles his salary.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Rumors are that Woody will be named associate AD. Which is terrifying in its own right, as who knows how long Steve Abbott will keep his political ambitions on ice.

Note- not a shot at Abbott- he has done SO MUCH in a short period of time.

Anyone else find these hyperbole news announcements annoying? A coach being reassigned just doesn’t qualify as stunning, shocking or program changing or whatever other word they add

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Anyone else find these hyperbole news announcements annoying? A coach being reassigned just doesn’t qualify as stunning, shocking or program changing or whatever other word they add
Have you ever seen Woodward coach?

Further- it is pretty shocking to change coaches at this juncture of the year, and pretty shocking seeing as Woodward got extended in the fall, AND it didn't seem like anyone cared about Maine hoops.

And how is changing a coach not program changing?

Finally, can't you go argue academic semantics on the PL board or something? That's your future.

The Patriot League: where complex math equations overshadow every on field accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Have you ever seen Woodward coach?

Further- it is pretty shocking to change coaches at this juncture of the year, and pretty shocking seeing as Woodward got extended in the fall, AND it didn't seem like anyone cared about Maine hoops.

And how is changing a coach not program changing?

Finally, can't you go argue academic semantics on the PL board or something? That's your future.

The Patriot League: where complex math equations overshadow every on field accomplishment.
I guess you're right that it is surprising. Maybe I'm just used to seeing over the top Stony Brook posts! Didn't mean to offend. I'm glad it will work out better for Maine though. I don't think changing coaches is necessarily a program changer, but I hope it is in this case.

BU is still in the AE so I still plan to post here.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone really care what a fan of a school that is leaving for the Patriot Lague thinks?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts