1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
You can pretty much assume that the C's are making calls about anyone who's even mildly available in the lead-up to the trade deadline. The prospect of trading for Horford makes me nervous because I can't imagine that Atlanta gives him up at any sort of discount, and paying full-price for a guy with all-star status just to watch him walk over the summer would be disastrous, although he'd be fantastic with Boston and Brad Stevens.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
You can pretty much assume that the C's are making calls about anyone who's even mildly available in the lead-up to the trade deadline. The prospect of trading for Horford makes me nervous because I can't imagine that Atlanta gives him up at any sort of discount, and paying full-price for a guy with all-star status just to watch him walk over the summer would be disastrous, although he'd be fantastic with Boston and Brad Stevens.
What would be a realistic group of players that Boston would give up

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
That Mavs first round pick, one of those Nets picks (probably not this year), then a few fillers and role players Boston's probably not keeping around (Jerebko, Zeller, James Young, maybe even Marcus Smart). The Celtics have a ridiculous amount of assets they'll need to consolidate at some point.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Well, and I know that this is almost painfully obvious to the point of not needing to be said, but it depends on exactly what Boston's trading for and just how hard of a reset Atlanta really wants to commit to. I think the most likely scenario is that only Teague is moved for some swingman help (like, OJ Mayo and a first, something built around Alec Burks, or something along those lines) and that's it.

Theoretically, if Atlanta decided that last year's ECF run was as far as they're getting with most of their core players either in or approaching their 30s and wanted to cash out high, Boston could put the entire Brooklyn haul on the table plus some additional picks and guys on rookie deals for a Horford/Millsap/Teague mega-trade. I don't think that's what Atlanta has in mind, and I'm not sure exactly how much Ainge would throw in to one big deal, but you could make a real run with something like Teague-Bradley-Crowder-Millsap-Horford plus Thomas-Turner-Jerebko-Olynyk off the bench and Stevens as coach.

To answer the question I think you're asking - how much would Ainge be willing to give up for a Teague/Horford package - probably a non-2016 Brooklyn pick, the Memphis pick, Atlanta's choice of the Mavs or C's 2016 pick, Amir Johnson, Jerebko, and a non-Smart guy on a rookie deal to be determined. Something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts